Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

wow, market is unreal right now14320

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I would hope/think this Batman 423 sale is an outlier???
Or is that an asking price?
'Cos I see a bunch... even graded 9.4's that are in the $300's

The second and third printings are in the $300-500 range in 9.8. A first printing in 9.8 is getting close to $2K.

I guess I lot of collectors dig the Todfather's Batman.

It's the rare, three-armed Batman variant.
Post 126 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I would hope/think this Batman 423 sale is an outlier???
Or is that an asking price?
'Cos I see a bunch... even graded 9.4's that are in the $300's

The second and third printings are in the $300-500 range in 9.8. A first printing in 9.8 is getting close to $2K.

I guess I lot of collectors dig the Todfather's Batman.

It's the rare, three-armed Batman variant.

now that you mentions it...yeah.....I think that's right!!!
Post 127 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Story from Bleeding Cool:

clickable text
Post 128 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
@Tedsaid I like that ASM #299 price....I have one coming back...had a chance at 9.8..hope it hit it!! either way it goes for sale!

Me, too! I just got one back, also, but it (barely) missed ... 9.6. That comic is damn hard to get in a 9.8 for some reason. I think it's because of the art ... the wrap always looks like it has spine ticks, but it's just the back cover art. (I feel like CGC is not super-careful on their grading most of the time.)

Oops ... misread that. I was thinking about ASM #301, not #299. The art on the back of #301 makes it look like there are a bunch of spine ticks, if the wrap is off center even a little bit.
Post 129 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
This is ending in a few hours. There's a sale pending on comiclink for a CGC 9.8 WP for $65,000. I hope this is somewhere close or exceeds it by a couple thousand. It looks like the seller purchased this on Ebay about a month ago for $35,000 before sales tax.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/63/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=cbcs+9.8&LH_Auction=1&_sop=5

Post 130 IP   flag post

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
This is ending in a few hours. There's a sale pending on comiclink for a CGC 9.8 WP for $65,000. I hope this is somewhere close or exceeds it by a couple thousand. It looks like the seller purchased this on Ebay about a month ago for $35,000 before sales tax.

@flanders You realize if the buyer and seller are in sales tax states, we're talking about probably $18,000 in total transaction fees between the buying and reselling of this book. Now that would be split between the original seller, the flipper and the new buyer but still, that's more than half of the profit. State and Federal income taxes totaling 30% of net could take another $8,000 from this seller alone...and who knows what from the first seller. Could be up to $10K if he were the original owner.
Post 131 IP   flag post
Quote:

Wow ... $65,000? That is - and I realize I am using this word too much lately - in, sane.

But if this goes for significantly less, it would be a great candidate to send to CGC for a regrade. I think CBCS is a touch tighter on the 9.8's. Certainly, they are more consistent. (So there is some risk.) But if the CBCS grade garners much less than the CGC grade (which would really surprise me) it would be a good opportunity for a quick flip.
Post 132 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Wow ... $65,000? That is - and I realize I am using this word too much lately - in, sane.

But if this goes for significantly less, it would be a great candidate to send to CGC for a regrade. I think CBCS is a touch tighter on the 9.8's. Certainly, they are more consistent. (So there is some risk.) But if the CBCS grade garners much less than the CGC grade (which would really surprise me) it would be a good opportunity for a quick flip.

10 bucks says the auction doesn't get completed. If the seller doesn't pull it, someone else will report to to Ebay.
Post 133 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia I noticed that he's in CA and will be paying an outrageous amount of taxes and fees. I wonder how much sales tax was collected in both 2020 and 2021 compared to previous years (both online and in person) on collectibles alone and how much money in total. How many taxes and fees do you expect to be paid on this specific comic by 2025? I'm guessing it'll eventually get in the hands of a buyer that will sell it at a loss of over $10,000 and lessen their tax burden.
Post 134 IP   flag post
Quote:
How many taxes and fees do you expect to be paid on this specific comic by 2025?

It's a good question @flanders, because eventually the accumulation of transaction fees and taxes may well be greater than the value of the book.
Post 135 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia because of the "not cgc" in the title?
Post 136 IP   flag post
Quote:

Yes, anyone can kill this auction at any time and somebody probably will. Too many interested parties in the sale of a book like this, and the interests vary enough that somebody probably won't want this auction to complete.
Post 137 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

Yes, anyone can kill this auction at any time and somebody probably will. Too many interested parties in the sale of a book like this, and the interests vary enough that somebody probably won't want this auction to complete.

I would be shocked if that happened. I personally like it when someone puts "CGC" in the title for CBCS books. Because the CGC 9.8 is equivalent of the CBCS grade, in my mind, and that's all they are saying. I know it's a grey area, and I get that, but it doesn't bother me. Anyway, I like having CBCS slabs included in my results.

But I hate it when someone puts "Not CGC" in the title for raw books. That is an absolute violation and I report it every time I see it. But I don't see those taken down very often. Sometimes, yes, but not often. I would be surprised if they did it on a big sale like this one.
Post 138 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid

I don’t see that as often as I see “CGC it!!!” in the header on raw books.
Post 139 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
A friend of mine went to a local show today that had no comic books, only original art.

If you think comic prices are crazy this is a whole different sport.
Post 140 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

10 bucks says the auction doesn't get completed. If the seller doesn't pull it, someone else will report to to Ebay.

I think this auction didn't get completed.
Post 141 IP   flag post
Quote:

Really? It looks like it sold. (At too small an amount, honestly, based on the other sale someone mentioned over at CL.) What makes you say it didn't finish?
Post 142 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Really? It looks like it sold. (At too small an amount, honestly, based on the other sale someone mentioned over at CL.) What makes you say it didn't finish?

I just clicked on the link here. It didn't to the listing any longer.
Post 143 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Final bid was $49,100. I did not win.
Post 144 IP   flag post
Quote:

Yeah, you just have to search for it, under "sold/ended" auctions, and it shows up. But you're right, the link is broken. I think the OP had their search results up, ordered by amount, not the actual listing.
Post 145 IP   flag post
Quote:
OP had their search results up, ordered by amount, not the actual listing.

Stupid @Flanders! Duh-oh. (said in Homer Simpson voice)
Post 146 IP   flag post
Collector comixcited private msg quote post Address this user
MOON KNIGHT #26 CGC 9.8 $1260

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-MOON-KNIGHT-26-CGC-9-8-NM-MT-White-Pages-Bill-Sienkiewicz-Highest-Grade-/133700566739?hash=item1f212cbed3%3Ag%3AURMAAOSwwRFgV5o5&nma=true&si=Fnf59iOYBkohjUuo1mvbXItFRE0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Post 147 IP   flag post
@comixcited any idea why that's going for 15 times would it should be?
Post 148 IP   flag post
Quote:
@comixcited any idea why that's going for 15 times would it should be?

highest graded? IDK!!!
Post 149 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comixcited
MOON KNIGHT #26 CGC 9.8 $1260

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-MOON-KNIGHT-26-CGC-9-8-NM-MT-White-Pages-Bill-Sienkiewicz-Highest-Grade-/133700566739?hash=item1f212cbed3%3Ag%3AURMAAOSwwRFgV5o5&nma=true&si=Fnf59iOYBkohjUuo1mvbXItFRE0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I think there's some nonsense going on. I would love to see the evidence of payment on some of these sales. That seller is in Corvallis. Not much there except Oregon State University. I wonder if that stupid price could be college students messing with a buddy?
Post 150 IP   flag post
Star Wars #8 CGC 9.8 $595

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-8-Marvel-Comics-1978-CGC-9-8-/373538932217?hash=item56f8a7c5f9%3Ag%3AOnYAAOSwHRRgddtm&nma=true&si=Fnf59iOYBkohjUuo1mvbXItFRE0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Post 151 IP   flag post
GARGOYLES #1 CGC 9.8 $659

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gargoyles-1-CGC-9-8-Embossed-Cover-1st-Gargoyles-in-comics-/144009348254?hash=item2187a0449e%3Ag%3An78AAOSwEXRgd%7Ese&nma=true&si=Fnf59iOYBkohjUuo1mvbXItFRE0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Post 152 IP   flag post
AMAZING SPIDERMAN #316 CBCS 9.8 $1499

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-316-CBCS-Like-CGC-9-8-WHITE-Todd-McFarlane-1st-Venom-Cover/203324697154?hash=item2f5718aa42:g:r1UAAOSwLYRgQHhR
Post 153 IP   flag post
@comixcited thank you for posting these. It's interesting to see that the madness goes far deeper than I realized. I remember about 15 years ago when an Iron Fist 14 9.8 first sold for $1,500 and peoples heads exploded.
Post 154 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comixcited
GARGOYLES #1 CGC 9.8 $659

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gargoyles-1-CGC-9-8-Embossed-Cover-1st-Gargoyles-in-comics-/144009348254?hash=item2187a0449e%3Ag%3An78AAOSwEXRgd%7Ese&nma=true&si=Fnf59iOYBkohjUuo1mvbXItFRE0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

That used to be one of my favorite cartoons.
Post 155 IP   flag post
598087 344 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?