Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

wow, market is unreal right now14320

Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
What are people's ideas about the current spike as far as selling off keys during this upswing to upgrade when it potentially drops again?

For example, in 2019 I bought spectacular spiderman 90 cgc 9.4, an AMS 252 raw(around 7.0 or so), 361(around 8.0), secret wars 8(around 8.0) for roughly 250 total. Given the current market prices and recent sales, I'd say those would total around 600.

Would it be worth it to sell now and hold out for price drops to buy higher grade copies? Or too risky incase the values do hold fairly close to what they're at now?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid

Good info.

We aren’t that far off in agreement I think.

I’m more thinking everyone will be right to an extent.

Call it Schroedingers market : )

Now, what worries me is when people realize they can manipulate the comic value sights by messing with Ebsy sales.

It’ll happen if it hasn’t already.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user
When the 90’s comic crash happened it was mostly new book sales that hurt comic stores used to that income level, Marvel, DC etc...

Amazing fantasy 15 and all the older books didn’t drop 80%. They may have dropped and stagnated but still good.

This is totally different and crazier in a different way. There will be a crash on some books, corrections on others but the older stuff will be ok. Also the last 15 years print runs on a lot of new books has been extremely low so??

Also the kind of people who have 60k for an Giant size X-men 1 will probably burn it or throw it in the basement for fifty years before they sell it at 10k.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
$1k for this one?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinova
I just listed my first eBay comic book, a 9.8 SIKTC on eBay for auction and can't believe the response.

I wonder how long comic book sales will be like this. To buy my PC silver age books, I will be taking advantage of this crazy market.

Erica Slaughter is fantastic so that book has some deserved momentum. I hope the writer can expand the story as I believe he admitted the book was written for a 15 issue run until it exploded.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastsk8
What are people's ideas about the current spike as far as selling off keys during this upswing to upgrade when it potentially drops again?

For example, in 2019 I bought spectacular spiderman 90 cgc 9.4, an AMS 252 raw(around 7.0 or so), 361(around 8.0), secret wars 8(around 8.0) for roughly 250 total. Given the current market prices and recent sales, I'd say those would total around 600.

Would it be worth it to sell now and hold out for price drops to buy higher grade copies? Or too risky incase the values do hold fairly close to what they're at now?

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone. Get them graded - Modern with Fast Track - and sell them quickly. Then use the money to buy more raws. Rinse, repeat. At some point, the merry-go-round will end, but at least you will have upgraded your collection.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYDU
Also the kind of people who have 60k for an Giant size X-men 1 will probably burn it or throw it in the basement for fifty years before they sell it at 10k.

I'll tell you one of the things I think is going on. I think a lot of people have made a lot of money very fast lately. In the stock market, maybe, but also in trading cards, sports cards and memorabilia, collectible toys, NFTs, watches, shoes ... there was an article in the NY Times a week or so ago, how even the rich are spending more than ever on rich things. Hard-to-find cars, jewelry, art.

So, imagine you are one of the "whales" in, say, the Top Shots NBA "Moments" marketplace. And you've done very well ... the last six months you have, incredibly, turned about $30,000 into $1.7 million. (Yes, there are a lot of people who have done exactly this.) And so, you decide to diversify, to "dabble" in this comic book market someone told you about. So you take, say, $150,000 - a pittance, compared to what you've already made - and you decide to buy a bunch of "key" books.

You will research said books, but you aren't bringing a lot of experience to the table. Not a lot of knowledge. And to be honest, not a whole lot of patience, for this is an area you don't really care about.

But you pick up 10 or 20 "hot" books. An X-Men Giant Size #1, a Hulk #181, an ASM #129 and Fantastic Four #1. Maybe you liked the movies, so you pick up an Avengers #1 and - proud that you picked up a bit of esoteric knowledge - a #4. You might also get some high-grade Batman and Superman, perhaps a Green Lantern #76, or Brave and the Bold #28.

Anyway, what you buy doesn't really matter. What matters is, you kept checking the prices, and they kept going up. As an experiment, just to see all the ins and outs, all the expenses, how it works, you sell a couple. And they sell! For 30% more than what you paid just six months before.

You sell a few more and buy a lot more. Because now you're hot, and so is this market. You pat yourself on the back for all your smart moves, and stat to focus on "first appearances," that everyone seems to love so much. You find the first Miles and the first Venom. Then the first Daredevil, for a song. You hear a rumor or catch an idea, and you go to eBay or ComicLink or MyComicShop and you bid for these things.

Now, think about that guy. He doesn't really care about comics. Hell, he's barely paying attention to how much he's bidding. Some auctions, he cares more about winning than about the money. It's a game. A game where the stakes don't matter at all.

I'm not saying it's all like that. Or even most of it. But that is a piece of what's happening. I think that's why I sold a Miles Morales #19 two weeks ago - an $80 book - for $445.00. I also think that's why, on eBay last week, a copy of Black Adam Endless Winter sold for $64 dollars one week and then, three days later, another copy sold for over $800 bucks.

Well. When these guys stop making 50% profit every two or three months, they'll probably stop buying so many comics. And, they will likely sell off whatever they have left, just to "liquidate" their "position." That will accelerate any sort of market correction.

It's true, someone who can afford $60k for a single comic won't be under much pressure to sell it just to pay the rent. They can afford to wait. But I also think it would be a mistake to assume all of these people have a great deal of loyalty to the comic book market. They can also afford to take a hit at the end of a wild ride where it's all profit anyway.

Have another look at those UF4 9.8 graphs. During four months last year, from March 1 to July 1, it tripled in price. Then for five months it sat there, at a plateau. There was another run up, from about the first week in December to the first week in March - three months this time. And the price tripled again.

That is an incredible rise. And UF4 isn't the only one, I'm sure.

Any other examples? Anyone want to look at a few books, last year and this, see if there's a pattern? I would bet the plateau isn't that unusual for a modern book. The fast rise gets a LOT of raws out of boxes and to pressers and graders. That can take 3-4 months. Then those books start to hit the market. Prices stabilize, and they stay there for awhile, as more books are returned from the grading companies.

The second surge happens, months later, once the new supply sort of dries up. So now a bunch more comics are quickly sent for grading. But they return faster, this time, because they are in a more expensive tier. So the rise stops after 3 months instead of 4 months.

And now all these books are returning, just as fast as they can, and are being sold.

So I reckon UF4 won't have another increase for awhile.

Post 32 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
$1k for this one?

I missed out...is Godzilla taking off now too?? maybe have to grade my 2 copies?
Post 33 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
$1k for this one?

I missed out...is Godzilla taking off now too?? maybe have to grade my 2 copies?

Problem with Godzilla is there is nothing slated for the future to help maintain these prices, as far as I know. In my experience comic values currently are future-dependent, not past-dependent. People will stop talking about Godzilla Vs King Kong in a week and I bet your will find one of these selling for $500-$600 within a month. One thing I've been thinking out this last year is "Why this time?" Godzilla, Transformers, Turtles...they've all been in movies for years. Those books never popped very far. What is different about this year that is making a difference in values?
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Yoosh5492 private msg quote post Address this user
With conventions coming back in the fall do you think prices will normalize or continue spiking?
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoosh5492
With conventions coming back in the fall do you think prices will normalize or continue spiking?

It's a worthy question. Online selling focuses demand toward slabbed books and greatly limits the supply of high-grade raws. It's hard to get anything over 9.0 value when selling a raw online. When conventions return that supply of high grade raws will return, adding supply to the market.
Post 36 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

It's a worthy question. Online selling focuses demand toward slabbed books and greatly limits the supply of high-grade raws. It's hard to get anything over 9.0 value when selling a raw online. When conventions return that supply of high grade raws will return, adding supply to the market.

Interesting take, do you think they're holding onto high grade raws or are they getting them graded so they take advantage of the increased/actual values due to being graded?
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting take, do you think they're holding onto high grade raws or are they getting them graded so they take advantage of the increased/actual values due to being graded?

I would imagine more are being slabbed than ever before. I'm just saying that I know convention dealers who don't do much slabbing because they are accustomed to selling in person, even the high-dollar books. It's hard to get the same price online for a high grade raw as you can get in person. So many of those books have probably gone into hibernation until conventions re-open. Even moderns like X-men 282, Moon Knight 1, UF4, you could go to conventions and find 9.8 raw candidates. I'm sure many have been slabbed by now but there also has to be a decent amount that are just put away until conventions re-open.
Post 38 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

I would imagine more are being slabbed than ever before. I'm just saying that I know convention dealers who don't do much slabbing because they are accustomed to selling in person, even the high-dollar books. It's hard to get the same price online for a high grade raw as you can get in person. So many of those books have probably gone into hibernation until conventions re-open. Even moderns like X-men 282, Moon Knight 1, UF4, you could go to conventions and find 9.8 raw candidates. I'm sure many have been slabbed by now but there also has to be a decent amount that are just put away until conventions re-open.

I'm sure you are correct. It does seem a little counter intuitive to me. It's so ingrained to me to slab any and every book that mathematically make sense to do so. Not doing so leaves money on the table...my thinking might be common or popular but maybe not everyone subscribes to it.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I'm sure you are correct. It does seem a little counter intuitive to me. It's so ingrained to me to slab any and every book that mathematically make sense to do so. Not doing so leaves money on the table...my thinking might be common or popular but maybe not everyone subscribes to it.

I'm in the same boat as you. But you and I don't spend tens of thousands of dollars each year to travel and attend shows, allowing us to present our merchandise in person. Of course they do both slabbed and raw but most convention dealers I've seen will have raw books for sale in the thousands of dollars. You and I would never try to pull that off because A)we don't have the venue to sell our books in person and B) we don't have a base of loyal customers who have become comfortable buying raw books from us over the years.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I'm in the same boat as you. But you and I don't spend tens of thousands of dollars each year to travel and attend shows, allowing us to present our merchandise in person. Of course they do both slabbed and raw but most convention dealers I've seen will have raw books for sale in the thousands of dollars. You and I would never try to pull that off because A)we don't have the venue to sell our books in person and B) we don't have a base of loyal customers who have become comfortable buying raw books from us over the years.

Excellent points and I agree...spot on!!! I didn't consider that.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYDU

I'll tell you one of the things I think is going on. I think a lot of people have made a lot of money very fast lately. In the stock market, maybe, but also in trading cards, sports cards and memorabilia, collectible toys, NFTs, watches, shoes ... there was an article in the NY Times a week or so ago, how even the rich are spending more than ever on rich things. Hard-to-find cars, jewelry, art.

So, imagine you are one of the "whales" in, say, the Top Shots NBA "Moments" marketplace. And you've done very well ... the last six months you have, incredibly, turned about $30,000 into $1.7 million. (Yes, there are a lot of people who have done exactly this.) And so, you decide to diversify, to "dabble" in this comic book market someone told you about. So you take, say, $150,000 - a pittance, compared to what you've already made - and you decide to buy a bunch of "key" books.

You will research said books, but you aren't bringing a lot of experience to the table. Not a lot of knowledge. And to be honest, not a whole lot of patience, for this is an area you don't really care about.

But you pick up 10 or 20 "hot" books. An X-Men Giant Size #1, a Hulk #181, an ASM #129 and Fantastic Four #1. Maybe you liked the movies, so you pick up an Avengers #1 and - proud that you picked up a bit of esoteric knowledge - a #4. You might also get some high-grade Batman and Superman, perhaps a Green Lantern #76, or Brave and the Bold #28.

Anyway, what you buy doesn't really matter. What matters is, you kept checking the prices, and they kept going up. As an experiment, just to see all the ins and outs, all the expenses, how it works, you sell a couple. And they sell! For 30% more than what you paid just six months before.

You sell a few more and buy a lot more. Because now you're hot, and so is this market. You pat yourself on the back for all your smart moves, and stat to focus on "first appearances," that everyone seems to love so much. You find the first Miles and the first Venom. Then the first Daredevil, for a song. You hear a rumor or catch an idea, and you go to eBay or ComicLink or MyComicShop and you bid for these things.

Now, think about that guy. He doesn't really care about comics. Hell, he's barely paying attention to how much he's bidding. Some auctions, he cares more about winning than about the money. It's a game. A game where the stakes don't matter at all.

I'm not saying it's all like that. Or even most of it. But that is a piece of what's happening. I think that's why I sold a Miles Morales #19 two weeks ago - an $80 book - for $445.00. I also think that's why, on eBay last week, a copy of Black Adam Endless Winter sold for $64 dollars one week and then, three days later, another copy sold for over $800 bucks.

Well. When these guys stop making 50% profit every two or three months, they'll probably stop buying so many comics. And, they will likely sell off whatever they have left, just to "liquidate" their "position." That will accelerate any sort of market correction.

It's true, someone who can afford $60k for a single comic won't be under much pressure to sell it just to pay the rent. They can afford to wait. But I also think it would be a mistake to assume all of these people have a great deal of loyalty to the comic book market. They can also afford to take a hit at the end of a wild ride where it's all profit anyway.

Have another look at those UF4 9.8 graphs. During four months last year, from March 1 to July 1, it tripled in price. For five months it sat there, at a plateau. Then, from about the first week in December to the first week in March - three months this time - the price tripled again.

That is an incredible rise. And UF4 isn't the only one, I'm sure.

Any other examples? Anyone want to look at a few books, last year and this, see if there's a pattern? I would bet the plateau isn't that unusual for a modern book. The fast rise gets a LOT of raws out of boxes and to pressers and graders. That can take 3-4 months. Then those books start to hit the market. Prices stabilize, and they stay there for awhile, as more books are returned from the grading companies.

The second surge happens, months later, once the new supply sort of dries up. So now a bunch more comics are quickly sent for grading. But they return faster, this time, because they are in a more expensive tier. So the rise stops after 3 months instead of 4 months.

And now all these books are returning, just as fast as they can, and are being sold.

So I reckon UF4 won't have another increase for awhile.

That’s an excellent analysis and I wholeheartedly agree that is part of what’s happening. For some people it’s just a video game on the computer they didn’t labour to make the money, which is great for them.

I’m still haggling prices down and have actually been buying quite a bit as there a few books going up no matter what(Can’t really say what yet).

As for larger purchases I’m sticking mainly to lower grade silver age. While it’s great to have for example a high grade 10k Spider-Man comic it’s much easier to sell $500 copies. Though I buy what I like. I don’t have a Hulk 181 stashed away (I’ve had them before in high grade) because I hate the story.

Thanks for the insight.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid

I’m not sure if these examples will help your argument or it’s just a lot of noise, but Young Avengers 1 (normal cover) has about doubled in price in the last couple of weeks.

Heck, even Daredevil 181 is going for about twice what GoCollect had it valued at.

Amazing Fantasy 1 is going for a couple of hundred now due to Spider speculation, though.

UF 4 is probably the most extreme example, but maybe it shouldn’t be such a surprise.

A lot of interesting factors at play on that one.

I am seriously considering selling my YA 1 at these prices.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
@Tedsaid

I’m not sure if these examples will help your argument or it’s just a lot of noise, but Young Avengers 1 (normal cover) has about doubled in price in the last couple of weeks.

Heck, even Daredevil 181 is going for about twice what GoCollect had it valued at.

Amazing Fantasy 1 is going for a couple of hundred now due to Spider speculation, though.

UF 4 is probably the most extreme example, but maybe it shouldn’t be such a surprise.

A lot of interesting factors at play on that one.

I am seriously considering selling my YA 1 at these prices.

I saw that! In fact, a few days ago I bid $671 on a lot with Young Avengers #1 and #6, which I thought was probably too high. (But I was thinking both would likely grade at 9.8, and I could sell them for $1200 and $300.) I actually thought the lot would go for $500, or maybe $600 tops.

But evidently someone else wanted it more! I just got beat by the final bidder.
Post 44 IP   flag post
The question is...if you already have a YA 1 or UF 4...do you hold for more movie news and another spike?

I picked up YA#1 for cover price off the rack and UF 4 was a $40 convention buy (still in the bag)

YA is in for grading but UF sits in a box!

Really hope when YA returns it is 9.8!!
Post 45 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not expecting a crash, but I do suspect that things will flatten out in about 4 months after all the people who have been rushing to slab books will be getting those books back and then trying to sell them.

Eventually there will be more supply than demand.

(Except for big keys).
Post 46 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid dang!

Were they raw? That’s a crazy price if so.

@KatKomics Excellent question and what I’m struggling with right now.

We all know Kate Bishop is coming to Disney + and soon.

There’s also a lot of potential groundwork for a YA movie or series.

But, I paid $2.99 for the book and $20 to slab it and turning it around for $1200 gives me a nice return on 16 year old book.

However, I think I might wait until the Hawkeye series arrives. That could be the next big leap for it.

Not an easy decision by any means.
Post 47 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie sadly now if I want to grade/press UF4 it will cost much more than just a few months ago!!!

good problem to have I guess!!
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Jabberwookie sadly now if I want to grade/press UF4 it will cost much more than just a few months ago!!!

good problem to have I guess!!

I’d say so!

I’m envious. I wish I’d grabbed an UF 4 but I’m priced out now.

Kind of like Harleys first appearance. I’ll just have to sit it out.

I’m kicking around some ideas on how to quantify a potential “key” so I can find these easier.

I think Miles Morales seems to fit that bill, but so does YA 1, so I don’t know?

My fingers are crossed for two 9.8s for you!
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Tedsaid dang!

Were they raw? That’s a crazy price if so.

@KatKomics Excellent question and what I’m struggling with right now.

We all know Kate Bishop is coming to Disney + and soon.

There’s also a lot of potential groundwork for a YA movie or series.

But, I paid $2.99 for the book and $20 to slab it and turning it around for $1200 gives me a nice return on 16 year old book.

However, I think I might wait until the Hawkeye series arrives. That could be the next big leap for it.

Not an easy decision by any means.

Yes! Raw as the day they came out. But they looked fantastic, with clear pictures. I'm bidding on another copy of #1, but I'm not sure where it will end up. Will know more soon.

It's getting harder and harder to find good deals on raws on eBay, that leave enough potential to turn a profit. I might have to start buying collections! Except I have no idea how to best go about doing that.

Well, I'll get there eventually. For now, I'm still scouring the auctions looking for the right ones. I just got an Edge of Spider-Verse #2 1st print for $738. It was "discounted" because there was an obvious spine tick that needs to be fixed. (I think it can be, but there MIGHT be a color break involved ... we will see.) Back in January I got a beautiful copy for just under $500. And in February I got another one for $390 from a seller who was new to eBay and had a zero rating.

But those prices are long gone. I'm watching another one, it ends today, is already at $750. No flaws on this one. I wonder if it will go for over $1000? But not by me! I'm already out of the running on this one.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
The question is...if you already have a YA 1 or UF 4...do you hold for more movie news and another spike?

I picked up YA#1 for cover price off the rack and UF 4 was a $40 convention buy (still in the bag)

YA is in for grading but UF sits in a box!

Really hope when YA returns it is 9.8!!

The UF is hard to get in a 9.8. Some last year I thought were beautiful, still ended at 9.6. I've got a few others I am eagerly awaiting the news.

But yes, I think you should grade and sell both, pick them up later for less. UF4 9.8 for $3000? Heck yeah. Even a 9.4 is gonna be $900 or $1000.
Post 51 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid

Argh!

I have to quit reading this! You’re making me second guess selling my YA 1, lol!

Good luck, my friend!
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Tedsaid

Argh!

I have to quit reading this! You’re making me second guess selling my YA 1, lol!

Good luck, my friend!

Hahaha. Well, I'll tell you what I do ... since we can't predict where comics will go, I just sell them now, as fast as I can. And when I get a big sale, I take part of the proceeds and I look really hard at copies on eBay, and I try to buy 2-3 raw copies for the same price. The raws tend to lag behind the graded copies. I mean, of course they are cheaper, but also - I THINK - the upticks are a little behind, too.

Anyway, I guess that will work until the market tanks, and then you are left holding the bag on stuff you can barely sell at cost. But at least you'll have three copies where before you had one.
Post 53 IP   flag post
If the viagra is working you should be well over a 9.8. xkonk private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I have enough FOMO, I'm not selling keys unless I have two of them.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Sooo....what about reprints?

I have an ASM 101 reprint (silver background) that is a 9.8 contender.
Should I grade now and hope for bump when they release the movie in 2022?

Basically I'd have to send it in now to get it back in time!!!
Post 55 IP   flag post
598060 344 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?