Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

wow, market is unreal right now14320

Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user

Saw this today. SEC now has its hands in Investments and shares in comic books. I think it's safe say that things aren't going back to "normal".
Post 301 IP   flag post
Collector comixcited private msg quote post Address this user
@Frontier2Xterra
Post 302 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
This speculative market is going to ruin collecting for the average person with a limited budget. I like to collect runs, but now every other 10 issues in a run is a key! And why collect a run if you can't afford the expensive keys that fall inbetween issues? I am glad the few longer runs I have are done and collected because if I had to start collecting them today I wouldn't...would buy strictly Trades/collected editions.

I noticed Alpha Flight #1 (1983) is increasing in value & 9.8's are selling for several hundred dollars...why? Not because there is a planned TV Series or Movie in the works, but because it's possible that these characters may appear eventually in the MCU, nothing definite has been announced. So I suppose with this logical way of thinking we should just jack up the price of EVERY single Marvel character's first appearance just in case sometime down the road a live action appearance may or may not take place!
..which is exactly what several of these supposed price guide are doing...gocollect in particular. When a price guide starts causing the prices instead of reporting them, we all lose

I think this is what happened in the 90s with baseball cards when Beckett was pumping these cards in their monthly price guides.
Post 303 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
My last batch of books came back over a month ago but I have a huge submission coming up in June.
Post 304 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brysb
This speculative market is going to ruin collecting for the average person with a limited budget. I like to collect runs, but now every other 10 issues in a run is a key! And why collect a run if you can't afford the expensive keys that fall inbetween issues? I am glad the few longer runs I have are done and collected because if I had to start collecting them today I wouldn't...would buy strictly Trades/collected editions.

I noticed Alpha Flight #1 (1983) is increasing in value & 9.8's are selling for several hundred dollars...why? Not because there is a planned TV Series or Movie in the works, but because it's possible that these characters may appear eventually in the MCU, nothing definite has been announced. So I suppose with this logical way of thinking we should just jack up the price of EVERY single Marvel character's first appearance just in case sometime down the road a live action appearance may or may not take place!
..which is exactly what several of these supposed price guide are doing...gocollect in particular. When a price guide starts causing the prices instead of reporting them, we all lose

I think this is what happened in the 90s with baseball cards when Beckett was pumping these cards in their monthly price guides.
hell it happened in the 90's with comics too...anyone remember Wizard world or Comics value Monthly?
Post 305 IP   flag post

I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Wizard was my jam!!! I bought every new issue when it hit the racks
Post 306 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
hell it happened in the 90's with comics too...anyone remember Wizard world or Comics value Monthly?

We used to call it Comics Inflated Monthly. This was in the late 80's. LCS owner would use Overstreet to buy comics and CVM to sell them.
Post 307 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
My local dealer did the same thing...bought by Overstreet and sold by CVM pricing. We called it the Comics Vascular monthly.....used to be a store in Wichita Kansas called Atomic comics...flat busted the owner using an older overstreet placed inside the cover of a newer version, to price buying , then sell via the CVM.
The wizard was one of the publications that drove the insanity in the 90's that eventually caused the industry to implode so heavily
Post 308 IP   flag post
Of course, just like I remember card guys coming in to buy comic books like what's happening now. Going to be interesting to see how much of what happened then repeats itself.
Post 309 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
I do worry that when this deluge of submissions floods the market in 4-6 months we're going to see waaaaay more supply than demand. Not a total crash but a rush to sell by flippers who see prices falling.
Post 310 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I sold a small pile of doubles to a shop that gave me 50% trade from prices in Comic book monthly.
Sold him Green lantern 1s Ghost rider 1s Batman Year 1s and 2s
Stuff barely a year old and I bought my monthly titles, toys and comic book t-shirts for 6 months before I pulled out my wallet due to store credit.
Post 311 IP   flag post
90s was newbies buying 100 TUROK 0s at cover price the day they came out. now its newbies buying one GIANT SIZE X-MEN #1 for $50,000. seems different to me. will it end the same? time will tell.....
Post 312 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier2Xterra

Saw this today. SEC now has its hands in Investments and shares in comic books. I think it's safe say that things aren't going back to "normal".

Stuff like that has been around since before the pandemic, so it looks like the market had been moving in that direction for a couple of years now. Here’s an article from August 2019. Rally, I think launched in 2018 and was doing incremental ownership in classic cars since early 2019 at least
Post 313 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier2Xterra

Stuff like that has been around since before the pandemic, so it looks like the market had been moving in that direction for a couple of years now. Here’s an article from August 2019. Rally, I think launched in 2018 and was doing incremental ownership in classic cars since early 2019 at least

madness, just madness. I have split a comic 2 ways with a friend once or twice but in both instances I got to hold the comix and participate in the purchase and sale of said comix. I can't fathom "owning" a piece of a comic I never held in hand.

id buy a 1% share of ACTION COMICS #1 for $100 though if anyone has one
Post 314 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Is someone here selling this?!?!:

@flanders, what am I missing here. Did you get locked out after making an $8 offer on a $395 list price?
Post 315 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia you can't make more than 3 offers in 10 days. $8 was my 3rd offer. That book is probably worth $15 at most with all those spine ticks.
Post 316 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders Got it, I wasn't sure if it was a massively over-priced book or an error in your offer.
Post 317 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
GoCollect just revved up DC silver age keys for us.

Basically, pointing out the strategy we are all using.
Post 318 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comixcited
90s was newbies buying 100 TUROK 0s at cover price the day they came out. now its newbies buying one GIANT SIZE X-MEN #1 for $50,000. seems different to me. will it end the same? time will tell.....

You're right, this is probably the biggest difference between now and then.
Post 319 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Quote:

You're right, this is probably the biggest difference between now and then.

Embarrassed to say I bought 100 Turok #1's myself. I did get caught up in the speculation game for a bit but in my defense it was before marriage and kids and that's when you're supposed to be irresponsible right? On the plus side I also bought 100 copies of ASM #361 guess how many of those I have now? 0!!
Post 320 IP   flag post
got one of these for $80 2 months ago...

MARVEL POINT ONE #1 raw NM (9.2?) $415 obo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274782768946?hash=item3ffa544f32%3Ag%3AkBgAAOSwJh9gjxWo&nma=true&si=Fnf59iOYBkohjUuo1mvbXItFRE0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Post 321 IP   flag post
If you want to have some fun, go through your eBay buying history.

I was amazed at some of the low prices I paid in the last year.
Post 322 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
If you want to have some fun, go through your eBay buying history.

I was amazed at some of the low prices I paid in the last year.

just don't look at your selling history!
Post 323 IP   flag post
ETERNALS #3 CGC 9.8 $989.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265147066424?hash=item3dbbff2838%3Ag%3AFqIAAOSwxltgkCJq&nma=true&si=Fnf59iOYBkohjUuo1mvbXItFRE0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

ETERNALS #3 CGC 9.8 $1175

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174718315930?hash=item28ae05ed9a%3Ag%3A%7E6MAAOSw65lgMWmo&nma=true&si=Fnf59iOYBkohjUuo1mvbXItFRE0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Post 324 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@comixcited is a 6.5 worth anything?
Post 325 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
Currently a ASM 300 RAW on ebay for 3550, looks like some questionable stuff with that auction though...book does not look that great to me at the corners.
Post 326 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite perhaps $100? raw FN are about $65-100 right now

some graded 7.0s have gone for $80 but its going up as we speak (type)
Post 327 IP   flag post
@comixcited

What’s most surprising is even “dreck” is moving.

I might be able to sell my Wally the Wizard!
Post 328 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
ETERNALS #3 CGC 9.8 $989.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265147066424?hash=item3dbbff2838%3Ag%3AFqIAAOSwxltgkCJq&nma=true&si=Fnf59iOYBkohjUuo1mvbXItFRE0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

ETERNALS #3 CGC 9.8 $1175

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174718315930?hash=item28ae05ed9a%3Ag%3A%7E6MAAOSw65lgMWmo&nma=true&si=Fnf59iOYBkohjUuo1mvbXItFRE0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

WOW!...I have two raw copies...

mm
Post 329 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@martymann

Post 330 IP   flag post
601275 344 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?