Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

KEYS are easy, RUNS are a BI**H!!14317

I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
The only collection runs i've tried for are Silver surfer, Sub-Mariner and Captain Marvel (Marvel's original series) I have most but they are in low to mid grade. I'ts been a while since I've looked at them, I don't think I've completed them but I am close. I'd go to cons and buy copies I already had. I separated them and kept the better ones and am going to sell the dupes, some are reader copies but some are decent. The real problem I have is finding time to take pics,look through them, grade them and post them (Yikes!).
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Raven1 private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley
I have issues 66, 72, and 79. Probably have the 74 also but would have to look a little harder. What grades are you looking for? Sorry the picture is sideways I forgot to rotate it before I uploaded.

Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
My Ms Marvel Volume 1 Run is missing #17 & #18.
Other then some of the covers I got that I like, I may let it go.

I was doing really really good on a Masters of Kung FU run till the announcement.. damn threw a jinx in the whole thing..
Post 28 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
The only collection runs i've tried for are Silver surfer, Sub-Mariner and Captain Marvel (Marvel's original series) I have most but they are in low to mid grade. I'ts been a while since I've looked at them, I don't think I've completed them but I am close. I'd go to cons and buy copies I already had. I separated them and kept the better ones and am going to sell the dupes, some are reader copies but some are decent. The real problem I have is finding time to take pics,look through them, grade them and post them (Yikes!).

@sportshort You could probably sell them through MCS in Lots. The selling price won't be great but they will do all that work for you and ship them as well. I think any collector who is going to sell should take the time to open up MCS consignment as an option. I mentioned the story of taking about 20 raws to my local LCS and he offered me $350 credit. Even with the tight grading at MCS and the selling commission I netted almost $1,000 for the group by time they all sold. I never would have had the work ethic or grading confidence to sell them individually on Ebay.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel85301
My Ms Marvel Volume 1 Run is missing #17 & #18.
Other then some of the covers I got that I like, I may let it go.

I was doing really really good on a Masters of Kung FU run till the announcement.. damn threw a jinx in the whole thing..

I think High Grade Comics (Bob Storms) has MM 17 & 18, slabbed and raw.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
At some point completed runs of Incredible Hulk, Justice League of America, Tales of suspense from 39 up...but the toughest run I tangled with was the original Turok Son of stone, from the four colors that it began with in the early fifties, through gold key, dell and eventually even Witman.
Built multiple runs of supergirl 70's, New gods, forver people, mister miracle, sandman, demon, kamandi, devil dinosaur, Omac,.....single runs of Ms Marvel, Cat, Dazzler, Spiderwoman, crisis, etc.

A few I am currently toying with are Lois lane, (about 60 percent done)
Femforce(half done)
Tales to astonish from 27 up and Strange tales....wherever it takes me really.
Infinity inc was an easy run to build....have a solid run of x men from 94-400........
Another tough run to work on is going back to Star Spangled war Stories, and around issue 93 "the war that time forgot" ..world war 2 soldiers, American and japanese squaring off an island full of dinosaurs and massive crabs, fish etc. Fun fun...another run that goes back to the golden age and ran into the silver, and finding it high grade is hard work.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector kidhuman private msg quote post Address this user
Last year I pieced together 3 runs, New Mutants(I dont have an original 98 as of yet, but have the facsimile) Alpha Flight( someone sold 1-130 minus 2 or three issues) for cheap and then DP7. I am now working on doing Transformers run. I have 1-30 and sporadic pieces through out the rest of the run. But yeah they are a pain to track down but thats the fun of the hunt.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhuman
Last year I pieced together 3 runs, New Mutants(I dont have an original 98 as of yet, but have the facsimile) Alpha Flight( someone sold 1-130 minus 2 or three issues) for cheap and then DP7. I am now working on doing Transformers run. I have 1-30 and sporadic pieces through out the rest of the run. But yeah they are a pain to track down but thats the fun of the hunt.

I hear you. Years ago, when I first started buying on ebay, I won an auction of Transformers #1-40. Condition was all over the place, but most were VF+ on up. I've replaced some issues over time, but definitely finding the last 10 or so issues in condition that I wanted was a pain. Now, I'm about to start putting together the Canadian price variant run of Transformers. It only spans #1-19, but it's going to be a treat, and an expensive one, to find them in the condition that I would like.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
@Raven1 the closer to NM, the better. Preferably I would like to have the series in NM- or better condition and I'm pretty close to that.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Runs I completed about 8 years ago:

FF 1-150
Avengers 1-101
ASM 1-129, AF 15
X-Men 2-150 (Never pulled the trigger on X1, which I deeply regret as prices have skyrocketed)
DD 1-30
Top Frank Miller DD run in the CGC registry (lasted only 1 year)

Never completed my Hulk run or JIM/Thor runs.

Oddly, as much as I love the Legion, I've never finished that run, so that's what I'm working on now. It's a great time to buy DC comics, which are cheap.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Honestly, I’m less worried about collecting a whole run than getting books I had as a kid or books I wanted as a kid.

However, I’ve got the Squadron Supreme run from the 80s, Young Avengers 1-12 and various modern mini series all in good shape.

With the market as it is right now, I’m moving toward books that haven’t exploded yet.

You just have to adjust your strategy when things are like this.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
My initial post was vague...what I meant to say is that you can buy most keys in NM 9.4 - 9.8 (well, 1970's to the present for sure)...no headache worrying if the comic is NM since most keys are plentiful in slabs. For me the harder part is filling a run with non keys in raw NM...for instance I had a tough time trying to find FF #'s 233 and 237 in NM raw and ended up buying multiple copies over time before I found copies I was satisfied with. It gets frustrating filling in runs and can get expensive when you are picky like me.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
I have Batman 110 up. I had hoped I might be able to complete it someday, but now even 50 up is looking completely unrealistic.

As others have noted for other titles, the issues I need to complete 100 up (102, 103, 104, 107, 108, 109) are totally pedestrian and are from the era when things started to get really silly "Caveman at large!", "The Career of Batman Jones!" "Bat-Hound, Movie Star!".

They are becoming prohibitively expensive to be impulse purchases and are hard to get excited about other than the thought of completing 100 up.

I've found myself spending less than those books would cost on Silver Age marvel keys, that probably have more upside. For example, I recently bought mid-grade Hulk 102 and Iron Man and Sub-Mariner slabs that cost less combined than a mid-grade Batman 102.

I do have GSX1, X-Men 94-300, but other than that, all my complete runs are modern.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector kidhuman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhuman

I hear you. Years ago, when I first started buying on ebay, I won an auction of Transformers #1-40. Condition was all over the place, but most were VF+ on up. I've replaced some issues over time, but definitely finding the last 10 or so issues in condition that I wanted was a pain. Now, I'm about to start putting together the Canadian price variant run of Transformers. It only spans #1-19, but it's going to be a treat, and an expensive one, to find them in the condition that I would like.

Yeah buying online is hit and miss. I have had some luck with my comic shop and also on another place. I will PM you the link if that is ok. I dont know if we are allowed to post it here.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector Gamecube2482 private msg quote post Address this user
Im 25 books away from a complete ASM run. All of them are below 50. Luckily I have 2,3,6,15 and 15 but that might be the only ones I can afford under issue number 15 with the prices the way they are now. I keep trying to get the higher numbers first unless I come across a deal. I will say it does feel nice whenever I get one that im missing and seeing the numbers in my run fill up.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector Raven1 private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley
I understand. I would grade the 66 an 8.0, the 72 a 7.0 and the 79 a 9.2. If you are interested in them let me know. I have no interest in Nam books you can have them if you pay the postage.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector SupaCor private msg quote post Address this user
ive completed silver age green lantern showcase 22 all the way up to green lantern 30, and silver age daredevil 1-30 and the full star trek gold key run. im currently half way through finishing up the twilight zone gold key run and working on a golden age green lanter 1-20 and action comics 15-50. its a blast when you can take your time and not really care about grades.
Post 43 IP   flag post
600800 43 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?