Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Restoration and ConservationQuestions

How to Value Restored Comics???1431

Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Just found out a comic I sent in to CBCS got the grade I thought it would (9.6) but had "Tiny amount of color touch on cover" - RESTORED!!!! Argh! Batman 245.

So, this is a $400+ comic in this grade, but now that it has the kiss of death, what would it's value be - is it half? A third? If its minor color touch, not a massive restoration, does it just go down a little?

I know its really what the market will bear, but thought I would see what people think.

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
The rarer the book the less difference in price between a restored and a non-restored book. For this one although very small restoration I would say probably 1/3 to half but of course you could be lucky.

If you plan to sell you book and the color tough is in a very small spot you may wish to consider to scrape off the color touch and resubmit. In this case the book would not be considered restored but would of course be of a lower grade than 9.6.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
....of course if you bought the comic recently and the color touch was not disclosed you could of course contact the seller to seek refund/return book
Post 3 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I sold am X-men #101 CBCS 8.5 for $130. It had slight color touch restoration. That is about half to a little more than half the value of an unrestored copy. I definitely took a loss on the book after factoring in costs.
Post 4 IP   flag post
If I can get close to half I'm ok - will just about break even. There are very few of this book in high grade, not sure why, so I am hoping for a miracle (and if anyone here wants it for $250 or so let me know!)

Don't want to ruin relationship with shop I bought it from - he isn't able to spot every little color touch, and I've bought nice stuff for cheap (just got a TOS 86 graded at 9.6, he sold it to me for $50, so I'd say I'm ahead in the long run).

I will have to get a black light though, this is the 2nd book I missed color touches on.

Thanks for the input!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I just bought off of AMAZON.COM THE AVENGERS #7, grade 9.0 for $157.50. AMAZON.COM didn't say it had a "Slight color touch up RESTORATION". Which by looking at it I couldn't tell. What does anybody think the value of this book is?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
Just found out a comic I sent in to CBCS got the grade I thought it would (9.6) but had "Tiny amount of color touch on cover" - RESTORED!!!! Argh! Batman 245.

So, this is a $400+ comic in this grade, but now that it has the kiss of death, what would it's value be - is it half? A third? If its minor color touch, not a massive restoration, does it just go down a little?

I know its really what the market will bear, but thought I would see what people think.

Thanks!

A good rule of thumb on pricing restored books is to consider what the book sells for in the grade the book would be in if the resto were to be removed.

A 9.6 , with light color touch (one small spot) removed, would likely grade out around 8.0.

I'd say your book is worth about $75.

Any reputable dealer would accept a return for the original purchase price (+ the grading fee), that is the offer I extend to buyers on raw comics that I sell.

I run a black light over any books that look like they might have CT, and always look for glue and trimming.Any legit dealer does the same.

I'd suggest contacting the dealer you bought the book from about this.If he doesn't treat you fairly off the bat, tell him you will out him on this forum and the CGC forum for selling books with undisclosed resto and not making you whole.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
The rarer the book the less difference in price between a restored and a non-restored book. For this one although very small restoration I would say probably 1/3 to half but of course you could be lucky.

Actually, the opposite is true here. I haven't had enough demand yet to start computing and publishing a restored book price guide, but from the sales I capture it appears the scarcer the book the wider the price differential. The restored price can drop to 10% or less of unrestored.

Take Amazing Fantasy 15 as an example. A CBCS Restored NM+ 9.6 sold late 2015 for "only" $28,680.00. The current Nostomania.com price index for this book, graded unrestored CBCS NM+ 9.6 is $400,000.00.

Provenance is extremely important for hardcore collectors, and we should all be incredibly grateful for companies like CBCS who competently assess whether any level of restoration is present.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@TommyJasmin - what kind/extent of restoration was there on that AF 15?

I can understand if the edges were trimmed, pieces put back, etc. then the comic is not what it was. But a small color touch is different, and wouldn't it affect the price differently as well?

Thanks for the input!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
@TommyJasmin - what kind/extent of restoration was there on that AF 15?

I can understand if the edges were trimmed, pieces put back, etc. then the comic is not what it was. But a small color touch is different, and wouldn't it affect the price differently as well?

Thanks for the input!

QuaBrot - yes, absolutely, very good point. The price differential should, and will vary depending on restoration level - Slight, Moderate, or Extensive.

The AF 15, while labeled the minor "Restored - Slight", had notes (I assume from Steve) "Amateur Restoration Includes: Moderate amount of color touch on cover. Right edge trimmed". I'm surprised it wasn't tagged Moderate given a) actual trimming and b) the word "Moderate" in the notes.

But again, you can't praise these guys enough for their skill in this area. I'm really sorry you had to get dinged on this one. I consider myself no grading slouch and I've been burned a few times, so I know that feeling well, it sucks the wind out of you.

Hey, great handle and avatar! (yes, I'm obviously a big E.C. fan)
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I think it's generally wise to defer to the market price, however you would like to determine that. Although ebay prices often seem to reflect market euphoria when a movie hits or some other development occurs involving a particular character, at the very least it reflects the price someone is willing to pay for a given book.

For restored books, I have sometimes seen very little difference in purchase price as compared to Overstreet pricing. So I would say you'd have to look at it on a case-by-case basis.

Color touch doesn't bother me as much as other types of restoration, but I've even bought trimmed books when I couldn't find a book at a comparable price elsewhere. If disclosed, I'm not too troubled by it. I understand that many others may not share this same view, of course.
Post 11 IP   flag post
596786 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?