Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Action Comics 1 Sell for $3.25M14309

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

clickable text
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
U can have the comic and i will take the money.Wow
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
Just saw this on the news and was like WOW!!! Thats a whole lotta money and at most what i have seen is a Million Dollars.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
It seems like people have entirely too much money to spend right now. Wow!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Have we seen this behavior before? Maybe in the 1920's?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Amazing. Where would you store a book like that?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Wasn’t it just like 12 years ago that a comic sale broke $1 million for the first time? Or was that just the first time something other than Action 1 broke a million? Honestly can’t remember.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Put it in the bank
Post 8 IP   flag post
Most be nice to just through away that much money and he has plenty more.
Post 9 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The guy who sold this book bought it in 2018 for slightly over $2 million. Three years later sells it for $3.25M. He made over $1M in 3 years....around 50% ROI. The new buyer perhaps feels he can do the same. Typically speaking, these mega rich people didn't get rich because they're stupid.
Post 10 IP   flag post
This reminds me about Todd McFarlane in 1999.He purchased a baseball that Mark McGwire broke records on and paid $3,005,000 then found out McGwire was talking performance enhancing drugs.No Hall Of Fame for Mark and the ball is probably not so valuable.WoW
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Most impressive to me is White Pages on an over 80 year old comic book
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
More proof of an expanding universe.
Prices going up are a plus. I bought my pile over the last 11 years as an investment vehicle, and since I retired 18 months ago, I have taken out around $1500 per month (EBay sales) and the piles value has increased.
They are a great income generator.
Gutsy to toss 3 million, but still an almost sure bet for appreciation.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
The guy who sold this book bought it in 2018 for slightly over $2 million. Three years later sells it for $3.25M. He made over $1M in 3 years....around 50% ROI. The new buyer perhaps feels he can do the same. Typically speaking, these mega rich people didn't get rich because they're stupid.

I think you just hit on why most of this is happening.

People with actual money have discovered collectibles are a stable investing environment.

I don’t think our little hobby is much of a secret anymore, but we’ll get to profit off it.

Prices will rise and fall but I think the majority of comics will continue to steadily increase.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
This really doesn’t shock me.

I mean, it is an 8.5 of what is arguably THE mega key of our hobby.

There are less than 100 total on the CGC census (72 at the moment, to be exact).

There are only TWO in higher universal grade (tied at 9.0) with 2 restored 9.4s out there.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I think you just hit on why most of this is happening.

People with actual money have discovered collectibles are a stable investing environment.

I don’t think our little hobby is much of a secret anymore, but we’ll get to profit off it.

Prices will rise and fall but I think the majority of comics will continue to steadily increase.

There are certain books that will very likely never decrease in value regardless of what happens in the hobby...AC1 is at the very top of that list imo.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
It would not surprise me if the book goes up for sale again in about 5 years and breaks $4 Million.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
People with lots of money know that the value of their dollars is being destroyed. The tidal wave of inflation is coming and it's a race to get pretend money invested into real things. The luxury home market (outside of high population cities) is also booming:

Jefferson County, a suburb of Denver, ranked as the fastest-growing luxury housing market of the fourth quarter with the entry point for luxury reached $2.97 million, up 81% year over year.

Nearby Arapahoe County, another Denver suburb, followed. The benchmark for a luxury listing hit $2.51 million in the fourth quarter, up 48.6% from the same time the year before.

California’s Riverside County rounded out the top three, where an annual price increase of 45.8% left the luxury entry point at $2.27 million.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@GAC

I agree.

There’s going to be minor books that rise and crash (I’m looking at you West Cosst Avengers 45) but mostly the keys will remain strong.

There’s a certain amount of fear of people getting “free money,” but this looks more like defensive spending in the stock market.

People anticipating a dip or crash tend to move toward things like metals, appliances and repairs.

For example, watch autozone stock start to rise. That will let you know people aren’t buying new cars and are keeping older ones longer.

I think collectibles is that way. It’s relatively stable and is open to manipulation so it’s a Wild West of profit right now.

But, I do agree with you on keys. The big guns should be safe.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
People with lots of money know that the value of their dollars is being destroyed. The tidal wave of inflation is coming and it's a race to get pretend money invested into real things. The luxury home market (outside of high population cities) is also booming:

Jefferson County, a suburb of Denver, ranked as the fastest-growing luxury housing market of the fourth quarter with the entry point for luxury reached $2.97 million, up 81% year over year..

Wow, I thought Seattle was bad. Looked at some of the estates, Ostentatious is too weak of a word.
I well remember the late 70’s inflation, owning a house (or comics) was critical to taking advantage, but I know people who have recently sold all their comics. Seems like a bad idea right now.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
@Jabberwookie I just sent cbcs a west coast 45..ahhhh!!!!
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Comicninja0215 I think you have some time.

I don’t think a year or two from now that book will be worth near what it is now.

But, I could definitely be wrong.

Fingers crossed you get a 9.8!
Post 22 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie oh man lol I would die!!!
Post 23 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Sheesh; I’ll take the cash. Sorry; not a Superman fan. I do appreciate the historical meaning of AC1, but I wouldn’t enjoy owning a copy.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
For those that see the sale as some kind of end times warning for the comic marketplace, read the entire article. You will notice another copy in 9.0 sold in 2014 for 3.2 million yet somehow the world kept spinning and so far no forty days of darkness or dogs and cats living together
Post 25 IP   flag post
@HulkSmash same, I would flip thay book in a heartbeat.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
@Comicninja0215 I’d hold on to it for a few years then see if I could break $5 million.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@CatCovers oh for sure!!!!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@GAC

I think collectibles is that way. It’s relatively stable and is open to manipulation so it’s a Wild West of profit right now.

Look at what happens in other collectable areas. So, I have to agree that they can be manipulated.

Quote:
But, I do agree with you on keys. The big guns should be safe.

Also, I agree that the big guns will always be sought after. However, what happens to their value should be interesting to look at in 36 to 48 months.

While some seem to look at the market as never ending they really don't seem tracking with what's happening outside of the hobby and why money is rushing into the comic collectable pond. This isn't because of whatever movie is on the horizon. They seem to believe that the good times will go on forever. I wish them well when the musical chair game stops. <----That comment isn't meant just for the comic collectors.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
"Co-Owner" what type of weak stuff is that!!???
Post 30 IP   flag post
597943 37 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?