Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Can you get art inked without damaging the original?14308

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I have a few pencil only sketches and usually if given the choice that's what I ask for from an artist.

That said...if I wanted to have an inked version too could they say, I don't know light box it or I send a scan and they light box that? or do they have newer fancier ways to achieve the same thing?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve run into a similar issue where the inker/colorist wouldn’t deign to lay hand on the original because they felt drawing on top of it would devalue the original sketch.

There are many ways they could ink art without touching the original. They can often light box it, or you can send them a scan that they can print and ink that, or print the scan and light box it. Heck they can take a scan and project it down on to their work space and ink from there if they have the gear. Not sure they would be interested in redrawing everything but they could use transfer paper with a scan to transfer the line work onto a separate workspace.

I guess ask the artist what method they prefer
Post 2 IP   flag post
I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
Darwyn Cooke used to do his pencils in blue pencil lead, scan it, email the scan to the inker (typically J. Bone) and the inker would either print the scan in colour and ink over it, or, ink it in photoshop
Post 3 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I have a few sketches that are inked over pencil and then colored. The colorist will not color a sketch unless it has been inked.

As mentioned above, the only way to preserve a pencil sketch is to have it inked over blue lines which is basically inking over a copy.
Post 4 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Here are a couple of examples of inked pencil sketches that were also colored:

Post 5 IP   flag post
597869 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?