Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

How to value 0.3 and 0.1?14307

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I was wondering how you guys value graded comics in the 0.3 and 0.1 grades. You know, if you ever stopped to wonder what a comic in garbage condition is worth. GPA only goes down to CGC's 0.5.

The books I'm looking at specifically are Daredevil #1, Giant-Size X-Men #1, and Incredible Hulk #181. The 0.5 values for these books on GPA are hardly insignificant so I'd imagine even the lower grades are worth SOMETHING

At the same time, these grades are really more for special use so books in either of these grades can vary probably more than at any other grade. Per the CBCS website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCS Website
These designations are only used for the purpose of authentication. Numerous collectors and comic fans will purchase coverless comics to either read or to obtain a filler copy of a book for their collection.

Books that are coverless, but are otherwise complete, will receive a grade of 0.3 from CBCS as will covers missing their interiors.

Coverless copies that have incomplete interiors, wraps or single pages will receive a grade of 0.1 from CBCS as will just front covers or just back covers.

So for a 0.3 is a cover alone worth as much as a coverless interior? Possibly

For a 0.1 is a back cover worth as much as a coverless interior missing an MVS? Again, maybe. Is an interior missing an MVS worth more than a single page? I would think so.

It's a conundrum
Post 1 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I was wondering how you guys value graded comics in the 0.3 and 0.1 grades.

I would have to say that at this level value is more subjective than at any other grade level. Since it's going to be in a slab and potentially displayed I would think that presentation is key. I would value a cover over an interior. On the other hand you can get a facsimile cover for a complete interior, and it would still look good in a display case.
This book is on display in my house even thought it's an Incomplete, Restored 0.5, it's still cool enough to look at and can fool the neighbors (if they can ever come to my house again).

Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
That's a tough one!

CGC for coverless gets NG, no grade....and some NG books go for a few hundred bucks! GSX coverless NG for $350 and .5 for close to $1000

So where would a .1 or .3 lie??

Has to be more than NG but less than .5 yes? .3 = $700 and .1 =$500??

I have a few covers only...like Jumbo 36, 43 and Fight 34...somewhere I have a Superman or two

Would just a cover be a few hundred??

Don't see how a cover alone could get same grade as the interior without the cover!! although in a slab you never get to look at the inside so maybe it's ok???
Post 3 IP   flag post
because I think bad thoughts...if I put my detached cover over a different interior..would graders be able to tell??? would I then get something like a 2??
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
This is a great thread topic.

How important is a cover to a comic? Alot of importance is placed on covers... maybe too much importance. If we look at comics as important pop culture art then interior page art is quite important as well. Is a cover more important than a centerfold or splash page? Probably.

are .3 and .1 50% and 25% value of .5? more? less? Great topic!
Post 5 IP   flag post
All great points so far!

I think @EbayMafia point about subjectivity is what has spoken to me the most. He pointed out how some people may prioritize a book's display appeal and so a cover alone could easily be worth as much, if not more than the rest of the book.

That is certainly a valid outlook.

I know for me, when I collect a comic, I would rather have the actual comic so I would take a coverless interior over a standalone cover if given the choice.

It almost seems like the only way to get an idea might be to put it up for sale and see how it does but that's not especially helpful if say, you're trying to insure it or something.

@KatKomics In the math you're throwing out if we're assuming the CGC is an NG just because it was coverless then the same book would be a CBCS 0.3 so you would think the the NG and the 0.3 value would be the same. So the 0.1 should be less than that. Not to say that that is the correct way we should be looking at this but that is what would make sense in the example you are posing.

Do you mean like put the detached cover over an entirely different book? Or a coverless copy of the same book? If it's the latter, I imagine they might be able to tell if staple position matches or if the condition of the paper is significantly different. Regardless, if it is detected the label would indicate that the cover was married to the interior. Not sure if it counts as restoration but the note is there

Post 6 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I really think at this level there's no formula that could be applied to value. A perfect pristine cover will get the same grade as a beat cover. Same for the interiors. So it really has to be looked at on a case by case basis.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia Even the grade description from CBCS mentions that these grades are only for authentication so they aren't really grading the condition of the book/page itself.

Would it be fair to say that any .5 would be worth more than a .3 which would be worth more than any .1?

At 0.5 a book can be stained, brittle, and missing pages and or a front or back cover but a 0.3 could be complete pristine interior just missing a whole cover.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Or the 0.3 could be a great condition cover no interior, and be worth something to a collector who has a coverless copy with nice pages and marries them up and turns a .3 cover and .3 pages into a 9.4 married cover book.

Not worth the same as a 9.4 unrestored copy but if the married cover 9.4 is rare or sort after key maybe worth more then the two .3s combined.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@southerncross 0.3 + 0.3 = 9.4??

I think you might’ve just discovered the Anti-Life Equation!! Ω Ω Ω
Post 10 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite lol
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite while GPA lists them as 0.5 - they actually value lower than 0.5 - you just need to know what you are looking for

GPA will state 0.5 No Grade - this means either 0.1 or 0.3.
No grade - page only, ie 0.1, or
No grade - coverless, ie 0.3

Value for pages - depends highly on the actual page. Prices can swing widely for the same issue but different pages
Post 12 IP   flag post
Should you still have an individual page, or just cover, or just interior pressed??!!
Post 13 IP   flag post
@poka Where do you see the option to further break down the 0.5 grade? I’m poking around but I’m not seeing anything.

Also, I just noticed that if you go into “Dive Deeper” the list of grades expands to include a 0.3 row but none of the three books I’m looking at has any data on that row

@KatKomics I mean, some people would agree that a press can be worth it on a book where it increases visual appeal without necessarily improving the grade. So I don’t see why you couldn’t press a cover/interior/page if doing so would improve it’s visual appeal.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite take AC 1 as an example - these are 0.1 -the one circled is the 0.3. however gpa lists them all as 0.5

Post 15 IP   flag post
ahh, the mistake I made was misreading your original comment and thinking you were referring to GoCollect
Post 16 IP   flag post
601255 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?