Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Current Market Vs Hobby Interest14296

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
@GAC not to get too off topic, but you’re the second or third person who has mentioned books at cgc and cbcs.

Why send books to both places?

Is it a double production thing?

Sorry for the slight hijack...

Some collectors I have noticed slab their personnal stuff through CBCS and the stuff they want to sell through CGC mostly because of the perception that people will pay higher prices for CGC slabs at market....
I do not know if that is established as fact, but I do see some of that in the MCS auctions each week. Books in CGC slabs sold alongside the same book in a cbcs slab seem to get a higher price...but my own take when watching it, is comparing the two, if people bought the book and not the slab, that the cbcs book in similar grade to cgc is a nicer presenting comic in general. Odd often seeing the nicer book sell for less, just cause of the perceptions about a slab.

Anyways that is a reason I have seen some split their slabbing work up
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
That Herc looks great imo
Post 52 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
@GAC not to get too off topic, but you’re the second or third person who has mentioned books at cgc and cbcs.

Some collectors I have noticed slab their personnal stuff through CBCS and the stuff they want to sell through CGC mostly because of the perception that people will pay higher prices for CGC slabs at market....
I do not know if that is established as fact, but I do see some of that in the MCS auctions each week. Books in CGC slabs sold alongside the same book in a cbcs slab seem to get a higher price...but my own take when watching it, is comparing the two, if people bought the book and not the slab, that the cbcs book in similar grade to cgc is a nicer presenting comic in general. Odd often seeing the nicer book sell for less, just cause of the perceptions about a slab.

Anyways that is a reason I have seen some split their slabbing work up

I have never sent a comic book in to either CGC or CBCS to be slabbed, always go to eBay or MCS mostly to purchase already slabbed copies. I hear the same thing about CGC selling better than CBCS, but I buy based on the best deal I can get. I have no preference since both companies seem equally good, but...I do end up buying way more CGC & that is because I almost always find the CBCS comic to be pricier! I don't know why that is, but it has been my experience and I mainly buy 80's comics.
Post 53 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

The majority of my collection is CBCS. This particular batch of books I sent to CGC because CBCS can not grade them. This batch of books comprised of an underground book and oversized books. The only other time I'll use CGC is if CBCS's TATs are exceedingly long but they've been quite good for a long while now.

I don't have a problem with CGC. My preference is CBCS by far...easily the best graders and best slabs but I'm OK with CGC too.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
I started to buy more moderns as a result of the current market. I probably have a couple more "higher" value books I want to get before I take a break until prices go down some. Unfortunately, there are now a couple books I was targeting at the beginning of the year that I will have to pass on now.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I do not know if that is established as fact, but I do see some of that in the MCS auctions each week. Books in CGC slabs sold alongside the same book in a cbcs slab seem to get a higher price

I too see that Auction is not yet a good format for CBCS books, particularly those of higher value. There's just a certain percentage of the buying population that is only going to buy CGC. And with auctions losing just 1 or 2 potential bidders can really damage the final price. But I am more than comfortable keeping my comics in CBCS slabs for the long-term. Far more comfortable than I am with CGC comics. The Collecting community can't keep the blinders on forever. With the steady improvements that CBCS has made over the last 7 years I think a hit to CGC's credibility is more likely than a hit to CBCS's credibility. And if anyone wants to put their high-dollar CBCS books at auction, I will be happy to snap them up at the arbitrarily discounted prices.

To answer the question, I send magazine size submissions to CGC because CBCS cannot yet slab them.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector starlord private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
I do not know if that is established as fact, but I do see some of that in the MCS auctions each week. Books in CGC slabs sold alongside the same book in a cbcs slab seem to get a higher price

I too see that Auction is not yet a good format for CBCS books, particularly those of higher value. There's just a certain percentage of the buying population that is only going to buy CGC. And with auctions losing just 1 or 2 potential bidders can really damage the final price. But I am more than comfortable keeping my comics in CBCS slabs for the long-term. Far more comfortable than I am with CGC comics. The Collecting community can't keep the blinders on forever. With the steady improvements that CBCS has made over the last 7 years I think a hit to CGC's credibility is more likely than a hit to CBCS's credibility. And if anyone wants to put their high-dollar CBCS books at auction, I will be happy to snap them up at the arbitrarily discounted prices.

To answer the question, I send magazine size submissions to CGC because CBCS cannot yet slab them.

I agree, with the market being bonkers I'll take the undervalued CBCS over the over priced CGC slabs all day. When CBCS gets its due, those who unloaded and under priced thier cbcs slabs will kick themselves.
Post 57 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier2Xterra
...IMO the people selling / buying at these prices aren't even collectors. They're investors that don't care about characters, runs, collections, etc. For those who collect and enjoy characters, the current market for most keys is almost out of reach. I really hope this bubble bursts soon.

I concur.

However, this doesn't affect me much, as I collect and read primarily collected editions.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
I just happened to check sales of young avengers 1 yesterday and Ebay has sales for $1100.

Wow!
Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I just happened to check sales of young avengers 1 yesterday and Ebay has sales for $1100.

Wow!

Absurd.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Wow!

Absurd.

Completely, but that doesn’t mean I won’t still sell...
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow!

Absurd.

Completely, but that doesn’t mean I won’t still sell...

I would too. The market is just astounding right now.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector tonyz58 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm an old collector for whom Overstreet has been my bible but,over the last year,have been watching Gocollect
and am astounded at the differences between the two. Gocollect has the advantage of using current sales as the FMV and I've used them to send off 20 books to Mycomiclink for auction with the results being, with the exception of 3, from 12% to 240% above the Overstreet values. Has anyone used Hakes for action figures? I also prefer CBCS to CGC. I've used MCS option 5,I think,(where you send in 100 books less than 30 cents cover price and they offer you a price), Are they good on auctions/sales? Thanks...Enjoy the forum..
Post 63 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
It wasn't long ago that ebay started collecting sales tax and friggin no one was buying anything.

I don't miss having my ebay store stocked with awesomeness and no one caring.

I like it now where I can go to a local comic show with money to burn instead of worrying about having money to pay bills.

You can always find bargains in any market if you know where to look.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

Just look for the really old dealer who never learned to use the Google machine and still relies on Overstreet.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

Just look for the really old dealer who never learned to use the Google machine and still relies on Overstreet.

They’re still out there, but they’re literally a dying breed.

(Too harsh?)
Post 66 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
There's just a certain percentage of the buying population that is only going to buy CGC. And with auctions losing just 1 or 2 potential bidders can really damage the final price.

My experience has been many of those are people who started with CGC and just don’t want a different looking slab/label...has nothing to do with the quality or reputation. Which is absurd. You’re basically buying the case, not the book, if that’s the reason all CGC and no CBCS.
Post 67 IP   flag post
600885 67 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?