Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Current Market Vs Hobby Interest14296

Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
Just look at these gems!!!!!

Tell me you cant hear that terrible sound literally EVERY monster made by looking at these covers...

I dare you!
Post 26 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry88
For me, out of the golden age books, it's Hercules. What I wouldn't give for those two issues in high grade...

How high a grade are you looking for, @Terry88?
Post 27 IP   flag post
I think it would ultimately depend on the price.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Loved that Hercules cartoon. So hard to find in high grade
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I tend to split my purchasing between the silver age marvels, dc and feeding the fire for future investments.

For instance right now is a great time to be sitting on top of x men issues from say 100-300....as those collectors who dont own a run a yet are now building one before the movies hit. I buy bulk lots of them, if I can score them at fair prices in at least Vf or better
Post 30 IP   flag post

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Since x men 129 was mentioned in 9.6 just to clarify that the GPA shows the book begin of the year with 11 sales in January/February alone, none over 600..since that time it has sold at least 7 times for over a thousand..with the last sale being 771....for the first quarter of this year even a move from 600 to 771 is worth noting

Sold my 9.6 newsstand last month.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Sold my 9.6 newsstand last month.

By the way @drchaos, I was just thinking the other day how happy I am that you went on vacation during the last MCS Prime Auction. This is one of my favorite auction wins. Word is that I never would have got this book without a fight if you were participating?

Post 32 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I just miss the days at heritage, 10 years ago where stuff was picked up like this by me.

Sent the flash 139 in to cbcs and came back 4.0 unrestored. 👍
Post 33 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
I just miss the days at heritage, 10 years ago where stuff was picked up like this by me.

@southerncross Use the hot market to sell a few of those hot books...you'll feel right as rain!
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
To answer the original question: my interest in the hobby will NEVER wane because I actually like to READ comics! The crazy prices right now have little effect on me because I am not out there trying to buy high demand comics. Hell, I buy most of my comics out of the discount boxes at shows or in the $2-$4 range from MCS or EBay. The higher price items I do fancy are mainly Harveys and Looney Tunes, which are not even on most collectors’ radar and therefore not subject to rampant speculation. As far as the other items go, I am quite content to own the Masterworks/ Archives/ Omnibus/ Showcase/ Essentials volumes in my bookcases. I already have just about everything published by Marvel in the 1960s in one form or another and I look forward to someday reading the entire lot of them in chronological order.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia after selling my collection and keeping just 350 books. The flash group I kept before moving to the States.

I don't sell books anymore.

I just hoard.

One bright side with increased prices is I've got my collection up from 350 books to about 1k and I don't add a lot anymore.
So I don't fill the condo with comics.
Could see a day as I open the door a avalanche of comics falls out and spills into the common hallway.

Nah I'm not that bad 👍
Post 36 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp those Harvey bound volumes you collect are pretty cool.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
I’m in the process of buying a new house so it’s tough to say how much that’s affecting my buying versus the market.

Right now I’m spending more slabbing so I can sell a few.

But, when I buy, I’m buying raw with the intent to slab.

I think right now it’s important to maximize the value you get for your money.
Post 38 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
I have to say that the amount of money being spent for many
comic books is overwhelming thinking back to the day when getting
a dime to buy a book was a big thing. As each purchase was
important to me then, I'm really glad that I was able to hold
onto as many books as I have and that I'm able to share scans of
them with you the collecting community...thanks!

Marty
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I read large stacks of my brothers monthly pull lists since the mid 60’s but only started owning any 10 years ago as an investment for retirement. That was a good idea. I watch my 2 X-Men 1’s (my most valuable books by far, a 6.5 white and a wreck) go nuts sale price wise. Don’t buy much now, but I pretty much have to sell to buy these days.
Post 40 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve been selling a lot of graded books to allow myself options. I feel I’ve collected much of what I wanted and now it seems others are valuing my marvel key issues more so than I.
I’m thinking maybe use the proceeds for something stupid, like a sports car. I dunno.

I haven’t been selling my raw books, mostly because they are a case of diminishing returns vs work involved to sell.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
I’ve been selling a lot of graded books to allow myself options. I feel I’ve collected much of what I wanted and now it seems others are valuing my marvel key issues more so than I.
I’m thinking maybe use the proceeds for something stupid, like a sports car. I dunno.

(From Dave, messed up the reply window)
Same with me, maybe a fast electric car.
Your raws are going up too, was just looking at 2 X-Men 282’s (1st Bishop) I have last night and they are now worth grading, 283 maybe too. Amazing! Still waiting on the X-Force 1.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@00slim Something sorta like this?
I think highest on either census.
Bought raw at a convention (no Ebay)

Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 Exactly. 😳

Very nice. 👍🏼
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
For me, it is discouraging to see prices skyrocketing so quickly on some books I've been planning on buying. However, it doesn't discourage me from collecting, and, thankfully, I've been working on my collection long enough that I have most of what I've wanted for the long term. There are a few books I sold that I thought I could pick up again later, and that may not be as easy to do now. That's frustrating, but it is what it is. Of course, at the same time, I'm thrilled to have books in my collection that are going sky high suddenly.

I will say that I don't collect as many current comics as I used to. I've switched to buying trades more so that I can focus my spending on older books that I want. Regardless, I love comics, I always have, and I don't really see that ever stopping.
Post 45 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry88
Just look at these gems!!!!!

Tell me you cant hear that terrible sound literally EVERY monster made by looking at these covers...

I dare you!

Lol!! So true!! I've got one at CGC right now (it arrived there yesterday)...won't be high grade...lower/mid-grade.

Post 46 IP   flag post
@GAC that looks pretty darn nice grade!!
Post 47 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 Thanks! it definitely has its issues but presents pretty well...we'll see how she turns out in a few months.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC not to get too off topic, but you’re the second or third person who has mentioned books at cgc and cbcs.

Why send books to both places?

Is it a double production thing?

Sorry for the slight hijack...
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector Maritimer private msg quote post Address this user
Very interesting topic and it's fun to read everyone's opinion on it. I always enjoyed, and still do, reading comics. As for hobby versus market, I am an interested spectator. I own several graded comics that I submitted for various reasons, mostly out of curiosity to see what they would attain for a grade with an eye towards possibly selling someday down the road. That day hasn't arrived as yet.

Two things happened in the last year to change my focus on collecting. The pause in publishing when the pandemic started plus another reboot or reset, by DC, caused me to cut way back on the titles I was purchasing. I decided that it would be fun to rebuild my Silver Age Superman run that I parted with many years ago. A local dealer had many of those books for sale and that was it.

As a poster mentioned above, I've been collecting my entire life and don't see myself stopping any time soon. It's still fun!
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
@GAC not to get too off topic, but you’re the second or third person who has mentioned books at cgc and cbcs.

Some collectors I have noticed slab their personnal stuff through CBCS and the stuff they want to sell through CGC mostly because of the perception that people will pay higher prices for CGC slabs at market....
I do not know if that is established as fact, but I do see some of that in the MCS auctions each week. Books in CGC slabs sold alongside the same book in a cbcs slab seem to get a higher price...but my own take when watching it, is comparing the two, if people bought the book and not the slab, that the cbcs book in similar grade to cgc is a nicer presenting comic in general. Odd often seeing the nicer book sell for less, just cause of the perceptions about a slab.

Anyways that is a reason I have seen some split their slabbing work up
Post 51 IP   flag post
That Herc looks great imo
Post 52 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:

Some collectors I have noticed slab their personnal stuff through CBCS and the stuff they want to sell through CGC mostly because of the perception that people will pay higher prices for CGC slabs at market....
I do not know if that is established as fact, but I do see some of that in the MCS auctions each week. Books in CGC slabs sold alongside the same book in a cbcs slab seem to get a higher price...but my own take when watching it, is comparing the two, if people bought the book and not the slab, that the cbcs book in similar grade to cgc is a nicer presenting comic in general. Odd often seeing the nicer book sell for less, just cause of the perceptions about a slab.

Anyways that is a reason I have seen some split their slabbing work up

I have never sent a comic book in to either CGC or CBCS to be slabbed, always go to eBay or MCS mostly to purchase already slabbed copies. I hear the same thing about CGC selling better than CBCS, but I buy based on the best deal I can get. I have no preference since both companies seem equally good, but...I do end up buying way more CGC & that is because I almost always find the CBCS comic to be pricier! I don't know why that is, but it has been my experience and I mainly buy 80's comics.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:

The majority of my collection is CBCS. This particular batch of books I sent to CGC because CBCS can not grade them. This batch of books comprised of an underground book and oversized books. The only other time I'll use CGC is if CBCS's TATs are exceedingly long but they've been quite good for a long while now.

I don't have a problem with CGC. My preference is CBCS by far...easily the best graders and best slabs but I'm OK with CGC too.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
I started to buy more moderns as a result of the current market. I probably have a couple more "higher" value books I want to get before I take a break until prices go down some. Unfortunately, there are now a couple books I was targeting at the beginning of the year that I will have to pass on now.
Post 55 IP   flag post
600899 67 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?