Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Current Market Vs Hobby Interest14296

Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone else begun to lose interest in the comic collecting hobby due to the current market, or just me?

I just saw a 9.8 New Mutants 98 direct edition for sale at $2650. That is absolutely insane. I have no interest in the comic but that is just the latest example.

IMO the people selling / buying at these prices aren't even collectors. They're investors that don't care about characters, runs, collections, etc. For those who collect and enjoy characters, the current market for most keys is almost out of reach. I really hope this bubble bursts soon.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Yes. books that I couldn’t afford 3 years ago are even further out of reach. Those $300, $400, $500 books I’ve been working toward are insane now. NM 98 being one of the books I’ve been after was once ~300; now people are paying stupid prices for no reason. I guess I could pick up a raw for a few bills 😒
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It's all about patience. There are still a lot of nice comics out there for decent prices.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know if it has changed how I feel about collecting per se, but it has left me with the feeling that I'm greatful for what I have. I will say that if I needed to start from scratch, I'd say screw it. There is no freaking way I could afford my books unless I won lotto.....
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I haven’t lost interest, but I’ve shifted.

Right now, I’m chasing DC books I’ve always wanted, because they haven’t been hit to the same extreme.

The Marvel books will be there. I feel the current momentum is unsustainable.
Post 5 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
Well the older I get and the more my health deteriorates the less important collecting is to me.

My wife doesn't want my stuff, my kids don't either, so I am selling a lot of it while the prices are high.

I'm saving some stuff but eventually it will all go to someone else.....
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector comixcited private msg quote post Address this user
I sell to buy. Some stuff I won't sell cuz I care about it but a bunch of it IS like stock. Its hard not to buy comix I don't care about but know I can make money on. Or doubles of thing I like so I can upgrade for "free". I am very sad to see some things drift out of reach but I'm glad I bought what I got. Probably going to keep buying until I can't find any deals anymore.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector EddieTheComicGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I feel like all the Marvel movies and streaming shows have played a roll in this ridiculous overpricing of keys. I had some of these said keys and ended up selling them to finance two moves. For me to try and get those books back would be crazy the way the market is now. I won’t lie it did turn me off to collecting for a little while, but I have other books I can go after for now that won’t hurt my wallet.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Having more interest in our hobby is a good thing.

I am sure all of us have had friends and family telling us that what we have been doing is crazy.

It is hard to have regrets when your decisions are paying off.
Post 9 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I tend to buy way more DCs than Marvels so the skyrocketing Marvel prices haven't slowed my buying. Still, I used to browse Marvels and make the occasional buy but I don't even do that anymore. So, in that respect, I have lost interest in that side of the hobby.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier2Xterra
Has anyone else begun to lose interest in the comic collecting hobby due to the current market, or just me?

I'm enjoying it more than ever. I've got so much activity...books in post offices and Slabbing or Pressing joints all over the country. I'm just shifting money out of the "popped" areas and into the "unpopped" areas that I find appealing. I'm not real grade-conscious for stuff that I don't intend to resell, so I've got some really cool DC Silver Age first appearances at what I feel are great prices. I've also got a box of lower grade EC slabs that cost about the same as one Turtles book that I have up for sale.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector EddieTheComicGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Having more interest in our hobby is a good thing.

I am sure all of us have had friends and family telling us that what we have been doing is crazy.

It is hard to have regrets when your decisions are paying off.

You talk to my wife??? 😂🤣
Post 12 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Just watching the Heritage auction for the books I'm bidding on to come up.
Some are reasonable...even at or below FMV...but the odd one with even a sniff of movie or streaming are going for 2 and 3x the FMV...it is crazy!!!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Hasn't really changed my attitude. I am still selling off a small majority of my collection as a funding mechanism for encasing my entire collection and providing long term protecting for those pieces that are my permanent collection till I force ghost.

I still have pieces that I am targeting for purchase to complete runs, in CBCS encasements only, but with prices as they are, I am going to have to be patient.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier2Xterra
I just saw a 9.8 New Mutants 98 direct edition for sale at $2650. That is absolutely insane. I have no interest in the comic but that is just the latest example.

I've noticed that we are regularly seeing off-the-charts prices, but in many cases they are not being repeated over and over. Last week was talk of X-men 129 9.6 reaching $1,800 but the next CGC auction brought it down to $1,500 and the CBCS auction brought it down to $810.
The other thing to consider with moderns is that this extreme pricing is at extreme grades. If a collector insists on 9.8 or nothing, well they are part of the crowd pushing the prices up. But a modern 8.5 is also a decent looking book if it truly is for personal collection. A slabbed NM 98 8.5 can be had for less than 20% of the price of a 9.8.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
But a modern 8.5 is also a decent looking book if it truly is for personal collection. A slabbed NM 98 8.5 can be had for less than 20% of the price of a 9.8.

Good point. And, years from now, who’s to say what an 8.5 would go for?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Since x men 129 was mentioned in 9.6 just to clarify that the GPA shows the book begin of the year with 11 sales in January/February alone, none over 600..since that time it has sold at least 7 times for over a thousand..with the last sale being 771....for the first quarter of this year even a move from 600 to 771 is worth noting
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
I think, other than the recent events "free money" being injected, a lot of these swings are just market corrections finally kicking in. So many of these spiking books have been undervalued for so long that it was inevitable for the prices to jump. Xmen 282 is a great example.

Some will likely retrace a bit, maybe the Xmen 129 is a good example of that, but the new norm is gonna be considerably higher than it was 1 to 2 years ago.

Really weird it took a World altering pandemic to catalyze it though. Hopefully, the documentary that will eventually be made about all of this is entertaining!
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I've begun buying cartoons from my childhood 1st appearances and TV show 1st appearances - very affordable as they have not seen the Marvel lunacy.

Everyone is speccing on the most minute character showing up on a TV show or just mentioned on a TV show. Can we get some spec on the fantastic shows in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's that endured season after season of being on TV?
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 Good call. I’m hunting for several cartoon & TV firsts.
Post 20 IP   flag post
That's funny, I started buying cartoon and toy related books a few years ago. They were pretty much my collecting focus but I find they've become out of reach now too.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Try finding a ... say .... Munsters or I Dream of Jeannie #1 in very high grade.
They exist but good luck finding one
Post 22 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 No kidding. I’ve bid on & lost out on every nice ‘I Dream of Jeanie’ #1 that has hit e-bay for literally years.
Post 23 IP   flag post
For me, out of the golden age books, it's Hercules. What I wouldn't give for those two issues in high grade...
Post 24 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@Terry88 oh man..like Hercules and Newt??? did they make a Rocket Robin Hood comic?!

Might have to start looking into those - re-runs for me as a kid but loved none the less!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Just look at these gems!!!!!

Tell me you cant hear that terrible sound literally EVERY monster made by looking at these covers...

I dare you!
Post 26 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry88
For me, out of the golden age books, it's Hercules. What I wouldn't give for those two issues in high grade...

How high a grade are you looking for, @Terry88?
Post 27 IP   flag post
I think it would ultimately depend on the price.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Loved that Hercules cartoon. So hard to find in high grade
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I tend to split my purchasing between the silver age marvels, dc and feeding the fire for future investments.

For instance right now is a great time to be sitting on top of x men issues from say 100-300....as those collectors who dont own a run a yet are now building one before the movies hit. I buy bulk lots of them, if I can score them at fair prices in at least Vf or better
Post 30 IP   flag post
601307 67 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?