Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

how's my Grading on this14273

Collector Tyler private msg quote post Address this user
i am wondering what you all think about this one. I am thinking it is a

7.0 at the least and maybe an 8.5>>??

There is NOTHING wrong on the back and it is one shade off of white white.
All pages intact no coupons or anything clipped inside.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like a solid 8.5 to me. Good luck and nice book!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
Solid book. Only flaws I notice from your scan are the spine color breaks. Conservatively I’d say between 7.5 and 8.5. I would definitely press it to maximize the grade. Good luck!
Post 3 IP   flag post
What would i gain by pressing>?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Since I can’t see the book in person and inspect it for other flaws, my suggestion to press it before grading comes solely from the perspective of maximizing your grade. With a key book like this, the difference between 7.5 unpressed and 8.0 pressed could result in hundreds more in your pocket should you decide to sell. Others may have differing opinions, but I press EVERYTHING that I decide to submit for grading.

Good luck!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnage71
Since I can’t see the book in person and inspect it for other flaws, my suggestion to press it before grading comes solely from the perspective of maximizing your grade. With a key book like this, the difference between 7.5 unpressed and 8.0 pressed could result in hundreds more in your pocket should you decide to sell. Others may have differing opinions, but I press EVERYTHING that I decide to submit for grading.

Good luck!
I am going to sell my collection. I am just trying to descide if/how many of my books i SHOULD get graded. I am going to post a few more soon.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Elvinv private msg quote post Address this user
😁 following 😁
Post 7 IP   flag post
This book should definitely be graded. I use GoCollect.com to track sales and values (others on the board use GPA) and a 7.0 copy sold for $1549 in January, while an 8.0 sold for $2700 just last week. This is why I suggest pressing before grading. Don’t want to see you leave almost $1200 on the table potentially!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
If I get it graded I get it pressed. Well worth the $ overall in increased $.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I am going to get it graded for sure. Do you really think a pressing is going to lift the current grade?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
@tonnage71 Totally agree. It’s worth a little more money to have it pressed. The potential value is worth it, especially since you’re looking to sell it. I also agree - definitely think you’re in the 7.5 to 8.5 range. Nice book!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
What’s the back look like?

You selling the whole collection?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Is that color touch on the white area on the spine?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler
What would i gain by pressing>?

Pressing can flatten out the non-color-breaking finger bends and any waviness. It can help correct a spine roll and minimize the impact of spine ticks and creases. It can also fix stacking bends, and can make the edges and corners a touch sharper. If there is some light soiling - such as from rubbing against other comics in a long box - the dry cleaning can help improve that, too.

I use two people almost exclusively: Gary Kendra at Impressive Comic Book Pressing and John Suter at Comic Book Detailing. Also Joey at CFP Comics is equally as excellent ... but he's been doing it longer and tends to be pretty backed up, so it's been awhile since I've sent him anything. He is on the boards here, so he can tell you (if he sees this) what the current TAT is (@CFP_Comics)

FYI, a lot of people on this forum are very tight on grading. It comes from the uncertainty, viewing a comic online. But I'd say your comic is a 9.0 as-is, and a 9.2, likely, with a press. If, as you say, there are no stains, water marks, tears, or color touch. I'm basing that on the three spine ticks with color breaks, the edge ding near the bottom-right corner, and the two blunted corners with slight white showing.

Once you get it graded, come back and let us know, okay? I love refining my online grading skills.
Post 14 IP   flag post
..one day,lol. For now >> i am flirting with the idea of about 200 getting graded.SOME of these are untouched as i owned the store they were brand new in. I got screwed a few years back and someone got my silver surfer set (vg-fine) 1-10plus for ...a song and dance. I DONT want that feeling again...lol.
Post 15 IP   flag post
un-molested beauty
Post 16 IP   flag post
Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 pages after, back cover. MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
I think the top-right corner blunt, spine tick, and bottom-right wear (or could just be the light) make it a 7.5. Just my 2-cents. Worth grading for sure. I'd do the press screen. Good luck with it!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I am going to get it graded for sure. Do you really think a pressing is going to lift the current grade?

@Tyler Even without seeing the book I would say to press this one. It's like a 16 to 1 or better odds bet. If it doesn't improve it costs you about $25. If it does improve it increases the value probably $400 or more. Take the bet or you will always wonder.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Thank you for taking the time I think you nailed the grade but..8.0 would be ok with me
Post 19 IP   flag post
i just checked >> The cost do do the book is $100..>>the press is an extra $66.>>total $166 from the one book.
STILL worth it , but is not $25
Post 20 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
i just checked >> The cost do do the book is $100..>>the press is an extra $66.>>total $166 from the one book.

Dang, that's a lot. Probably just pay for the Press Screen when you submit it and let the expert decide. I think they will do it because it also includes cleaning which can increase the grade even if pressing doesn't. I think I see something that can be cleaned on the moon in the upper left?
Post 21 IP   flag post
I see that coloration top left too I did not know press screen was a thing.. I am going to go with that
Post 22 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Yeah, you are looking at the press at CGC or CBCS. If you go with an independent presser, they don't charge scaled to the value. At least, not to the same extreme as the grading company's in-house pressing units.

Gary is: $13 per comic, 1975 and above. $20 per comic, up to 1974.
John is: $12 per comic, 1975 and above. $14 per comic, up to 1974 & $1000; $25 between $1000-$3000; 2% above $3000 FMV
Joey at CFP is: well, I just had a look, and you have to create a submission to find out the fees, it seems. But they are generally in line with other pressing outfits. Maybe 1% for anything $2500 and above? Not sure. He also has a "quick press" option for lower value books.

I don't know about Joey, but John and Gary will both be faster than CCS or CBCS, too.
Post 23 IP   flag post
601488 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?