Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help NeededQuestionsSignatures

Previous Owners Signature on Cover14239

Collector zombiederek private msg quote post Address this user
Hello there!

I was curious if anyone could provide some insight. I have been looking up this situation and its effect on a grade, but haven't been able to find a clear answer.

I have an Amazing Spider-Man #252 that was generously given to me by a friend. I'd like to have it graded, but the concern I have is that it has a signature of a previous owner on the cover. If I were to send this book in for grading, would the signature detract from the actual grade of the book itself, or would they grade the book "as-is" with a remark of just 'writing on cover'? I feel like it's comparable to a situation of if I had a writer/artist sign a book, and I sent it in to be graded without wanting verification, but in this case, the signature is no one of importance.

Anyone have any experience with this, or know the answer? Thanks!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Just a standard deduction for writing on cover. Book isn’t 9.0+ candidate, anyway, so would likely be part of the 0.5 rounding residual if your book is balanced between two other spots on the table. It could mean the difference between getting 5.5 or 6, is what i mean. It’s not detracting enough from the overall appearance to be a full point deduction unless the signature breaks the paper of the cover and is visible from inside.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, the grade would be hit for “writing on cover.” CBCS does not have a qualified grade like CGC where they would ignore the signature when calculating the grade. Not sure how much this specific writing would hit the grade for
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector comixcited private msg quote post Address this user
not sure but I would guess a comic with that sort of damage wold top out at a 5.5 (fn-) or so? I could be off on that though. CGC gives green labels to stuff with writing so its hard to determine because they grade as if the writing wasn't there (9.0 green label = ?.? blue label). CBCS doesn't do it that way. you would just get a straight grade (5.5?)
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS will hammer due to "writing on cover". My failed VSP otherwise 8.0/9.0ish was graded down to 6.5
Post 5 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I wonder if it is era specific? I know many gold and silver age have names or dates written in on the cover...and as long as they are not obtrusive they count very little against the books (often times no hit as the books are in that VG to VF+ range anyway)
Post 6 IP   flag post
I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
You can turn that "Dale Hopkins" into "To Dale Hopkins, from your pal, Stan Lee! Excelsior!"

kidding.... KIDDING.... I'm kidding...
Post 7 IP   flag post
600891 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?