Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
For SaleQuestions

Packing How-To's for USPS Priority/Insurance (~4.5k book).14232

Looking for love in all the wrong places. robo private msg quote post Address this user
Looking to prep for my first eBay/paypal/USPS sell. Would you share your to-do? How you like to get a book when you get one in and protect one traveling via priority mail? Thank you.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Personally I HATE the USPS priority box in a box method. Although it is technically double boxed, it is such a tight fit it annoys the crap outta me.

I personally wrap book in bubble wrap. Put it in a USPS priority box, then put that box in another box.

See pix for general idea. Although I do it a little less messy with actual customers.

Edit

Oh and I use painters tape. I hate dealing with clear packing tape trying to unseal that stuff, off packing materials is cumbersome.

Although my way is more expensive, I have only gotten one issue. The guy said it was packed really well, but he took an apparent hammer to the book to try and scam me.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Looking for love in all the wrong places. robo private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks! Okay... So then you priority sticker the external box and insure at your selling price? You just don't trust the priority with bubble wrap and insurance? It does look solid what you're doing.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Yes. The brown box gets mailed via priority. And default insurance through ebay is only up to like 300 bux. You need to make sure to choose the drop down where USPS insurance to insure to full amount of 4k or whatever your book was sold for.

The red paper or bubble wrap I put in gives the interior usps box a little "give" in case of impact. It shifts the box instead of a tight fit that would normally penetrate the box.

I feel that the handler of the mail would have to take it as a personal challenge to actually damage the book when packed like this.

If you want to do it quick and easy though, go to a fedex / kinkos and buy a laptop shipping box.

Edit

My way is more expensive, but I have never really gotten complaint once they see how it's packed. Although people balk at the shipping sometimes, in my view I'm not about to risk my sanity trying to rectify a shipping issue because I cheaped out on shipping / packing properly.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Gotcha, I hear ya and really appreciate the advice.
Post 5 IP   flag post
No problem.
While my way may not be the best way, you can generally get the idea. Double box at a minimum and fully insure.

Good luck and most importantly have fun. Gratz on sale of your book.
Post 6 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
You might want to send such a valuable item by Registered Mail with Signature Confirmation. The price of Registered Mail changes with the amount of insurance, but the rate per $100 is far cheaper than standard insurance on Priority. You will have to go to the post office to mail it, and you have to make sure there is no plastic tape on the outside box, paper tape only so that they can stamp it all over as a security indicator.

Priority Mail 3 lb. package from Miami to Beverly Hills insured for $4500 = $86.65
clickable text

Registered Mail same package insured for $4500 = $44.65
clickable text
Post 7 IP   flag post
This is why you double box.
I just got this in today's mail.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte That would not have happened with Registered Mail and it would have probably cost less, as @chester15 was pointing out. Boxes sent by registered mail are segregated out, they aren't thrown into gen-pop to fight for survival.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia

Very true. The only drawback for registered mail I see is the line to get it taken care of. My post office has really long lines. I like being able to drop off in designated area and getting out ASAP. Granted this Wed I'll have my first vaccine shot and standing with all those folks won't be as scary.....

Regardless of whether you ship priority or registered, I think the double boxing is still mandatory.

Oh, for what it's worth,, the 2 times I used registered mail, they sealed the box with the paper tape on top of my preexisting box. I didn't need to buy the paper tape....
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Double-boxing is important. Here's a package I got last week. It was NOT double-boxed.

Post 11 IP   flag post
598073 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?