Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Can You Tear A Slabbed Comic?14191

Collector ReCollecting private msg quote post Address this user
I recently acquired FF #244, 9.2. When I opened the package, I immediately notice two tears on the bottom of the comic. I do not see any signs the slab was opened or compromised. How does a comic book tear inside a slab? See photos. The seller provided high-res photo in the eBay listing and they do not show any damage to the bottom of the comic. 

Please note, this is not a CBCS slab. I'm trying to determine how this could happen.

Thank you.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like impact damage, as if the box were dropped hard on its end allowing the book to slam into the bottom of the slab repeatedly and doing a good job of destroying it
Post 2 IP   flag post
I have the original box and there's no damage on the exterior. And I've received comics in boxes that look like they were run over by a truck and then someone took a hammer to all of the edges.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
It is possible (most likely) that the book moved inside the slab and was damaged when dropped, banged, etc, etc during shipping. It wouldn’t necessarily have to be so severe that the box is mangled. Sharp shock would do the trick.
Post 4 IP   flag post
unsure that really proves anything, because the box could easily have been dropped on one edge and allowed the book to shift inside the slab regardless the affect on the outer cardboard

hulksmash beat me to it...great minds type alike
Post 5 IP   flag post
I can understand that the bottom of the page would be damaged by a large and sudden impact, but that does not account for the front page tearing and rolling back. In addition, there would be a sign of damage to the rest of the pages at the impact point.

Now, if what you're saying a slabbed comic book can tear if shifted quickly enough in any direction due to friction, then that would be worth noting.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@ReCollecting might as well send it back and try to avoid purchasing anything from whoever slabbed it. You're protected by ebay so don't take anything less than a full refund and the seller is responsible for covering return shipping as well as taking a loss on the original shipping charge.

If he shipped it to you internationally that's an even bigger hit to his wallet, which serves him right. Never buy slabs from that company. Also, make sure to initiate the return through Ebay, don't take the seller's word for it. You need to go through the official return process.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Actually it looks just like what you would expect if the bottom of the box were impacted and damaged......seen that several times myself Seems odd you would ask the forum for their thoughts and then deny the suggestions offered....so what is your own theory then?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Now that I re-read my response, you've got a point Dark. Poor use of verbiage. No intent to deny. And thank you for pointing out that you've seen this before.

I'm going to take it to my local dealer, have them make a Grade assessment and then work with the seller. I am optimistic we can work something out. If not. there's always the option to return since the item did not arrive as described.

Thank you all for your prompt input.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@ReCollecting

Looks like Shaken Comic Syndrome. Give it a Google.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Is that a PGX case? My best guess is that some tears were already partially there when slabbed and rough shipping caused them to fold up and be revealed.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thank you Canuck for posting. Now I have a phrase to reference.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Is that a PGX case? My best guess is that some tears were already partially there when slabbed and rough shipping caused them to fold up and be revealed.
Yes, and “before” photos show some damage to both bottom corners.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
I suspect your local dealer's grade assessment will be less than 9.2
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@ReCollecting was the slab also wrapped with bubble wrap or something? Or was it just loose in a box?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
Yep, i've seen that before but only on those who shall not be named slabs. (oh it looks like they have already been called out )
Post 16 IP   flag post
The item arrived in a USPS Priority box with lots of rolled-up newspapers.
By the way, the local dealer estimated the worth at far, far below the original price. No surprise there.
Post 17 IP   flag post
598011 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?