Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Herkzy private msg quote post Address this user
Hello to all,

I’m still asking nube questions. I did try and search the home page for this topic but didn’t find anything. If I missed it, all apologies, please point me to the right thread.

I made the mistake of trying to explain to the wife why 9.8 is the industry standard of the highest grade without having enough information.

It seems that I need to be an expert and have all the answers before I try to explain things. I need to explain it precisely or her response is “That’s stupid” and leaving me with no retort.

The books that I’m getting ready to send in are in really good condition. And when I said I would be paying extra for pressing (saying that it’ll insure the highest possible grade) she understood that as being perfect, as in 10. Then I made the mistake of trying to explain that there very few 9.9 and 10’s. I know that there are some out there but how can I explain to her how the grading process work in a way that she’ll understand? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Writing this I’m remembering reading EbayMafia’s thread, Is Grade/Condition a “Guy” thing… because the wife is thinking that it’s definitely a guy thing.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Herkzy - Have her read CBCS's grade guidelines?

clickable text
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@Herkzy Maybe you just need to quit while you're ahead... or behind, as it were.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
10 = grandma's homemade pie.
9.9 = your mom's homemade pie.
9.8 = your wife's homemade pie.

I don't know if that will work, but it sounds SOMEWHAT safe to say.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
@Herkzy Maybe you just need to quit while you're ahead... or behind, as it were.

This is probably better advice than mine!!! LOL
Post 5 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Basically 9.8 is the standard near flawless that most comics would have. It may look perfect or near perfect to the naked eye, but not quite. A 10.0 Pristine Mint is next to but not impossible to attain

Now on the pressing side, assuming there are no color breaks or tares, pressing can regularly move your comic form an 8.5 - 9.6 up to a 9.6-9.8 but vert rarely higher.

Yup, it’s a guy thing.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O

Post 7 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I know this is a tangent...but why does centering/miswrapping of the cover not go into grading unless severe? There are varying degrees but some are just unbearable to look at!!!
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

You are sooooooooooooooo way off it's not even close
This is more like it:

10 = Grandmas' homemade pie
9.9 = mom's homemade pie
0.5/NG = wife's homemade pie

Now we're talking accuracy!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:

What the wife will see is that her pie isn't good enough and if that's the way he feels, then he may as well go home to mama.
Post 10 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:

lol!!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I know this is a tangent...but why does centering/miswrapping of the cover not go into grading unless severe? There are varying degrees but some are just unbearable to look at!!!
I’m thinking because centering and miswraps are mostly about eye appeal whereas grading is looking at and assessing structural defects(or correctness).
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector jayscomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Cha Ching. Winner Winner!
Ok this is Post of the week! To funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkzy
Writing this I’m remembering reading EbayMafia’s thread, Is Grade/Condition a “Guy” thing… because the wife is thinking that it’s definitely a guy thing.
[/quote

I think there might be some merit to that , but really everyone wants to get the highest possible grade, and pressing the comic book helps with that.
I would say Pressing can bump up the value of the comic one or two grades, which typically more than pays for the pressing fee.

Good luck.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Gucci and Louis are 10, Prada and Burberry are 9.9, and Versace and Dior are 9.8. See if that helps her understand.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t know if different brands is a good comparison. Unless you’re saying one printer is better than another.

Maybe cut of a Diamond? A really nice cut is common, but goes for a lot.

A flawless Diamond is outrageous...yet who among us without being an expert in the field of grading Diamonds can tell the difference between near flawless and flawless.

Like with comics, definitely need a loupe to spot the differences.

This seems like a way she may better understand how it works, without “man-splaining” it, as I’m often accused of, as the grading of comics and precious stones have parallels in their approach and scarcity.
Post 15 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
9.8: The highest common grade attainable which allows for minimal defects.

9.9/10: Much less common, perhaps even very rare grades which allows virtually no defects or certainly less than minimal defects.
Post 16 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I explained it to my wife as the method and material of manufacture leaves flaws from new that are typically allowed up to 9.8. This is why certain formats, publishers, and even specific issues become known for 0 or many 9.9-10 on pop report.
So in order for a standard 32pg staple bound newsprint comic book to grade 9.9-10 it has to have the luck of winning a major lottery and then be treated as such from new.
On the flip side DC Black Label books, fully lenticular covers, or Zenescope books tend to yield multiple 9.9-10’s because they are made of better materials and to tighter tolerances.
Post 17 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkzy
...It seems that I need to be an expert and have all the answers before I try to explain things. I need to explain it precisely or her response is “That’s stupid” and leaving me with no retort...

I mean, that is the best method...
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
the best answer is...."its complicated, but involves dozens of machines and experts working night and day at high speed to test and retest all possible scenarios and arrive at a working answer that best fits each book , and it is beyond most peoples ability to even imagine the process"
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
the best answer is...."its complicated, but involves dozens of machines and experts working night and day at high speed to test and retest all possible scenarios and arrive at a working answer that best fits each book , and it is beyond most peoples ability to even imagine the process"

Uh-oh, as far as she would be concerned, you just called her stupid.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
The best way I explain it to my wife is "I'm trying to get the highest grade possible, which usually is a 9.8" seems to work out okay for me. She really doesn't care either way just whatever makes me happy.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Here's the perfect 10!! Or at least that is what he claims. LOL

Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Show her the SOLD price difference and grading is subjective at the end of the day.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
My wife doesn't care. She just doesn't want to trip over the damned things.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I'll always wonder, "What kept this from 10.0?"
Bad cup of morning coffee? Dust mite droppings?

Of course that's not nearly as frustrating of a question as, "Why did this get a 9.8 after a CPR??" Don't forget to add that possible plot-twist to the tale.

Post 25 IP   flag post
600893 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?