Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Spidey 2099 Madness14141

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve been watching for a first print Spidey 2099 in 9.9 or 10.0 for a year or two.

Then a 9.9 finally went to auction last week. The last sale was for something like $350, so I figured $700 was reasonable given how everything has doubled.

A couple days before it ended, the price was at $900, & I was officially out. I figured it might go for $1k at that point. I was wrong. Very wrong.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
To be fair, how often does a 9.9 come up?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Now I wanna see a 9.9 of the ToyBiz variant sell. Just to see how high it goes.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I have 30 copies being screened for 9.8 with another 50+ copies to be screened at a later point. So far the copies I've submitted have ranged from 9.4 to 9.8. All from a bulk purchase from when they were first released.

I'd be surprised but thrilled if any came back above 9.8....
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector WebofCW private msg quote post Address this user
Oufff this kills me inside, i had a couple copies of that book. No idea what happened to them 😩😩😩😩
Post 5 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Mine would Probably be a 9.9 if the grader was in a giving mood otherwise 9.6-9.8 (which means it will be worth about 20 bucks).
Post 6 IP   flag post
Of the 2556 on the current CGC Census, more than half the graded 2099 #1s graded 9.8. Not too difficult to attain given the heavy card stock cover.

Post 7 IP   flag post
@sportshort 9.8s go for $100-$125 right now.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
@sportshort 9.8s go for $100-$125 right now.

That's why it takes grader in a good mood to do better than that. still 100-125 sounds more like 20 bucks when compared to a 9.9 current nutty value.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I'm speechless at the prices for books that sat in bargain bins for years,

If I had a ton I'd be flipping mass produced books during this nutty time of drunken prices.

Reminds me of what happened to basketball cards in the early nineties.
That was a time to flip cards, not buy them.

Mmmm the future looks interesting to witness what will happen 😀
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
There's nothing in the world I'd rather have than a logical explanation for how that 9.9 is 0.1 better than the myriad of 9.8's.
Oh would I love to hear/see that one
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector WebofCW private msg quote post Address this user
I don't feel so bad, my copies where definitely not a 9.9!!!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Got about 30 of those lying around, but doubt any of them are 9.9-worthy. Since I’ve yet to manage one of those for any book I’ve ever submitted.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Since grading is subjective I do not understand any comic getting above a 9.8. I also feel that this grading above 9.8 nonsense leaves wiggle room to accept more minor flaws on a 9.4 & 9.6 comic where none should exist.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
I have one of these printings I think..might be my next submission.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'm trying to get a copy of spider-man: india
Post 16 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user

Photo is outdated; I’ve bought (and sold) more since, but I really like this book.
Spider-Man 2099 is the best Spider-Man.
Don’t forget ASM365, his 1st appearance. Much more difficult to get 9.8 of that one.

The 9.9 is overrated; the only way I’ll ever own one is if I submit it.
I’m pretty sure there are no 9.9’s of the toybiz reprint. Those copies are very flimsy. I wish I’d have kept my 9.8.
Post 17 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Comicninja0215

You may want to start a thread saying you are searching for it. It will get more exposure and more eyes on your search request....
Post 18 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
Don’t forget ASM365, his 1st appearance.

I'll never understand how that can be when other previews are not considered 1st appearances.
Just shows how money wins over logic (or facts).
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Bronte I'm on it!!👍
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Don’t forget ASM365, his 1st appearance. Much more difficult to get 9.8 of that one.

Yes it is. Very hard to find a copy of that very thick book without bindery tears. I have maybe 20 copies, not sure any of them would do better than 9.4.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I only have 2 of these...at that point in time for 1st issues I would buy 2...1 to read 1 to keep extra minty fresh!!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user

I have a few newsstands, but this one Looked really good on eBay (raw) so I coughed up $50 for it then sent it in for grading...seems like it was a good investment.

Last copy sold on eBay was somewhere north of $800 a few weeks ago.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS registry has 83 directs, 2 newsstands at 9.8. So just over 2% of 9.8 copies are newsstands by that average.

Cgc has 1523 9.8s. For the sake of argument let’s Assume the same % are newsstands. That would be 37.

So just shy of 1600 9.8 directs versus about 40 newsstands between CGC and CBCS.

By comparison:

9.9 = 8 on CGC census (0 CBCS)
9.8 Toybiz = 32 on CGC census (0 CBCS)

There are no higher grades.

But the point really is the 9.9 is the rarest of all editions, and the toybiz and newsstands at 9.8 are likely the same scarcity at 30-40 copies.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I think I’m about to score a couple cheap copies on feebay. Like stupid cheap 9.6 candidates (at least they look 9.6 in the blurry pics)
Post 25 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
Don’t forget ASM365, his 1st appearance.

I'll never understand how that can be when other previews are not considered 1st appearances.
Just shows how money wins over logic (or facts).

I would normally agree on not counting previews but in This instance I disagree. Although it is advertised as a preview it’s multiple story pages in final published form, telling a story with dialogue. Semantics aside, it’s a first full appearance.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@HulkSmash

I have a 9.6 that should easily press to 9.8 if you want to crack and resubmit on ebay.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575378759&campid=5338273189&customid=&icep_item=254896708853&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector rckstr1253 private msg quote post Address this user
Do you guys think these prices for amazing 265 and Spider-Man 2099 #1 will crash eventually?
Post 28 IP   flag post
@rckstr1253 The entire comic market is off the charts at the moment.

The market will settle, but to what degree, no one knows for sure.

#1 has been a $50-$80 book for a long time. $100 is reasonable for a 9.8, but a bit high perhaps for something so common.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstr1253
Do you guys think these prices for amazing 265 and Spider-Man 2099 #1 will crash eventually?

Maybe when folks get back out and start doing activity related stuff indoors/outdoors again.
Restrained to one's own indoor home; addicted to this damn computer screen/comics, has in my opinion made a significant impact in the value of keys.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600449 42 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?