Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
QuestionsWant to Buy

Buy the Numbers - which would you purchase?14131

I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Fyi, the title was not a typo. I am looking at two comics and need advice. they are each about 95 dollars out the door. I am looking at a 5.0 Forever People #1 or a 9.2 Swamp Thing #7. Which would you pick? not necessarily by what a bargain one is over the other I know that FMV points to the Swamp Thing as the better value. I am asking more as a longer term investment. I know it's not a lot of money (to some) but i am on a very tight budget because if I wasn't I would spend out of control (lol (kinda)). Thanks for any input.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Love the cover on that Swamp Thing #7.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo, I was set to buy the Swamt Thing until I saw the Forever People. I've been looking for a reasonable Forever People for about a while and this seems to fit the bill but I'm torn. now that i've seen, I can't un-see.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort I know funny business has a raw copy of forever people 1, let me find out grade and price. I do love the cover of swamp thing 7 but I think fp1 has more significance and could be a better long term investment
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I would pick Forever People 1 as I'm a huge Kirby fan and its Darkseid's first full appearance. It's a 5.0 (mid/lower grade) which works against it compared to SW#7 at a 9.2. To me, it's not an overwhelmingly clear choice based on the grade discrepancy but I'd probably still go for FP#1.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
@sportshort I know funny business has a raw copy of forever people 1, let me find out grade and price. I do love the cover of swamp thing 7 but I think fp1 has more significance and could be a better long term investment

Awesome.
Post 6 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I LOVE Wrightson Swamp Things (really any Wrightson horror art) but I think I'd buy the FP #1 as long as it presents well.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
I LOVE Wrightson Swamp Things (really any Wrightson horror art) but I think I'd buy the FP #1 as long as it presents well.

I'm right there with you, and totally agree.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
When you're able to go after the other issue, I would think the odds of ST#7's price staying close to what it is now are better than FP#1's.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Siggy, that's an excellent point but it is also assuming it's still available. Now you're making me think, that's never a good idea.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
FP1 is hot right now; that’s just below midgrade, and will go up, but will fall fast, esp if Darkseid isn't used well. The ST7 is a 9.2, and that will always be worthwhile. If possible i’d say get both, but if not, i would still say FP1 if you really want it OR you just want for spec.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Forever People #1 in a heartbeat. 1st full Darkseid beats a Batman appearance in Swamp Thing. Personally, I think the cover for Swamp Thing #9 is much better than the cover for #7.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@50AE_DE, at this point I will probably get the FP-1 and hope that Swamp Thing is available next month. I will hold off until I hear from @Batman66 about his comic dealer. I value all your opinions.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort Good choice on the FP#1.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
FP would be my vote, too.

Especially if you’re thinking long-term.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie, Awesome, thanks.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort Forever People 1 are so common that I would not buy a 5.0. I would buy the ST 7 and keep my eye out for a nicer FP1 ungraded.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia, I can easily find a FP 1 - the appeal about this deal is that the 5.0 at 95 dollars is 35 dollars below FMV. That's a good ROI. (and gocollect's FMV is probably behind the times as all comic prices are currently exploding).
Post 18 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
@EbayMafia, I can easily find a FP 1 - the appeal about this deal is that the 5.0 at 95 dollars is 35 dollars below FMV. That's a good ROI. (and gocollect's FMV is probably behind the times as all comic prices are currently exploding).

Dang! Just take a quick look around at raw copy prices first I would recommend. When you get down to 5.0 on a high print run book it can take a lot of the risk out of buying raw. My gut says FP has the broader market appeal, but if I had to stare at one of them for the rest of my life there is no question it would be Swamp Thing 7.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort

Dang! Just take a quick look around at raw copy prices first I would recommend. When you get down to 5.0 on a high print run book it can take a lot of the risk out of buying raw. My gut says FP has the broader market appeal, but if I had to stare at one of them for the rest of my life there is no question it would be Swamp Thing 7.

This I can definitely agree with but likely it will stay in a box and get seen again when it's time to sell (weather by me or someone after me). so really it's more of a low level affordable investment. I will probably buy them both (if ST #1 is still available) given the opportunity. Fingers crossed.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Either book is a decent purchase...For myself I say go with the key that is likely to rise....given that Darkseid has a role in the upcoming Synder cut that isnt going to hurt the value of FP 1 for sure....and one has to think that sooner or later Darkseid will get his due in a series or Theater movie.
Conversely Swamp thing just had a series that was done well, and should have been continued but wasnt for whatever dismal reason. I dont see much upcoming to shove that book out of reach except the slow march of time

I also tend to think that if you can find white covers or black ones in decent shape they long term tend to produce better investment results cause they get to be harder and harder to find in decent shape...ask any collector trying to find a nice giant size x men 1, a decent copy of x men 94 or perhaps Journey into Mystery 112....or even Tales of Asgard...those books always get tougher in higher grades
Post 21 IP   flag post
601206 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?