Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Best Place to Sell Slabs?14122

I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
For those of you who sell your slabs, what has been the best method for you in terms of quick sales and no fees?

I'm currently getting books graded here at CBCS (including Start Wars 42 and the error 2nd print edition of TMNT #4) and obviously, I want to get the highest return.

I've sold raw books on eBay, and I've sold a couple of slabs on a Facebook group. But does anyone have any other suggestions on selling slabs with little to no sellers fees?

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Rjman48 private msg quote post Address this user
Here. Ig. Other grading site forum. Fb marketplace. Consignment such as elite, certifiedcomicshop.com,
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
When the local cons come back suggest getting a table and trying there. Did it personally twice moved 80ish % both times. But be warned unless you are trying to move a key or hot book expect at most 85% FMV for cold and non keys. Collectors are well aware of fee tables for various sites.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
If Ebay (and other online areas) begins issuance of 1099-R's for $600 or more from the new bill, this question will become more and more pertinent to the vast majority of weekend warrior sellers.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111

Can you elaborate? I have not heard of this.

Edit

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/abblog/blog.pl?/comments/2021/3/1615153514.html

This site seems to explain it a bit better.
Man this bites. Selling is going to really suck now. Does anyone know if using MCS is affected by this?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector ProdigalSon private msg quote post Address this user
This is a great question.. I DEFINITELY need to follow this. I hardly ever sell, but if I do, this is a BIG DEAL!!!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@Nuffsaid111

Edit

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/abblog/blog.pl?/comments/2021/3/1615153514.html

Man this bites. Selling is going to really suck now. Does anyone know if using MCS is affected by this?

Yep... that's the site I looked at as well. Here is the excerpt from the Covid Bill

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Shoot, now I am going to have to keep records since my purchases and expenses like grading always exceed my sales. My IRS Schedule C is gonna get more complicated.
Takes effect tax year 2022.
Currently the few slabs I sell (which I usually regret) are on eBay. Once shows resume here, I may get the occasional table and sell a few there.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Rjman48 private msg quote post Address this user
Does that $600 apply to PayPal..venmo
..Cash app..ect? G&S only?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I've been sending things to MyComicShop (MCS) - they will also pickup your books direct from CBCS (my March order is my first try with this!)

They have all the bells and whistles....buy it now, make an offer or auction. I only use the BIN/OBO combo and that has minimal fees 10% on first $300 and 8% after that...not sure if it drops further...my largest sale was $520 so far.

I like it because they list on their site and ebay and they do all the listing and shipping...all I have to do is get my books to them!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@Nuffsaid111

Edit

Yep... that's the site I looked at as well. Here is the excerpt from the Covid Bill

wonder how that will apply to out of country sales into USA? i.e. if I only sell a few dozen books a year that is treated like a yard sale - not taxable. If however I had a yardsale every weekend...then that's a business!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
If you receive over $600 from an ebay or paypal transaction, you will get a 1099. So if you sell an item for $100 and it cost you $500 to ship it, the IRS will want tax on the full $600. I assume places like MCS will now have to send 1099 out if a seller has transactions more than $600.

Just imagine you bought a book at a con for cash a couple years ago for 1k and now sell it for 1500. How hard will it be to prove you paid 1k for it? If you can't and get audited you will have to pay the tax on the full 1500.

I would assume a lot of people bought some expensive books before eCommerce was even a thing. I highly doubt everyone kept receipts.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@MurrayC - i have tried/tested most methods. MyComicShop.com, which is Lone Star Comics and a short drive from CBCS is a great option. They have:
1 great internet presence
2 Dual list on ebay
3 You set your price
4 Seller cost is flat 10% up to $300 sales price then 8% after ($5 minImum)
5 MCS will pick up your submission at CBCS when grading is done, thus you save money from CBCS shipping to you and you shipping out to MCS
6 when sold through MCS, you don’t have to ship or pay shipping
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
If you receive over $600 from an ebay or paypal transaction, you will get a 1099. So if you sell an item for $100 and it cost you $500 to ship it, the IRS will want tax on the full $600. I assume places like MCS will now have to send 1099 out if a seller has transactions more than $600.

Just imagine you bought a book at a con for cash a couple years ago for 1k and now sell it for 1500. How hard will it be to prove you paid 1k for it? If you can't and get audited you will have to pay the tax on the full 1500.

I would assume a lot of people bought some expensive books before eCommerce was even a thing. I highly doubt everyone kept receipts.

is this total sales or individual? i.e. I've had multiple MCS sales totaling over $600 but no individual sale over $600

Thinking I may have to list on ebay again but ebay.CA with worldwide shipping clicked....maybe find something similar to MCS but in Canada???

Will also have to look into our tax treaties etc....to see how this would apply/if it applies to Canadians....too much to think about on a Saturday!!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
@KatKomics

I would assume total sales. How does MCS pay you?
Post 15 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
You can list them here for free.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

is this total sales or individual? i.e. I've had multiple MCS sales totaling over $600 but no individual sale over $600

They just sold this book of mine for $1,780.

Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Bartering may be a way around the 1099-r. Does cbcs allow tradino in forum? Just thinking outloud so to speak
Post 18 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@cesidio

Yes. I've done a few trades on forums. The folks on this forum have been positive and have even made friends with a few folks.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
@KatKomics

I would assume total sales. How does MCS pay you?

so far I've only had 1 sale every few weeks so I end up getting 1 cheque per sale....never had a multi sale week!!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics it is 600 regardless of quantity. Whether you sell 1 item at 600 or 60 trans at $10 ea you get a 1099. So much for not raising taxes on the poor or middle income.
Post 21 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
In the everyday world, 1099s are required to be given to independent contractors in your "employ" to whom you have paid a total of $600 or more in a given year.
Post 22 IP   flag post
The dynamics of the selling world... in all avenues of weekend warriors (clothes, electronics, dishes, vhs, you name it) are about to change significantly.

I believe it will be harder to obtain that expensive book you want come 2022. Many will drop off of ebay and other online platforms. I see it coming
Post 23 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
The dynamics of the selling world... in all avenues of weekend warriors (clothes, electronics, dishes, vhs, you name it) are about to change significantly.

I believe it will be harder to obtain that expensive book you want come 2022. Many will drop off of ebay and other online platforms. I see it coming

Out of curiosity, where do you think they are going to go?

Many people have built comic shops online, either through eBay or by building a website. The small sellers won't have to worry about it and the big guys are already keeping track of their sales. The only people I see this potentially hurting is the guy with a few keys he wants to unload, and flippers. The minor flippers will probably quit if they are just in it for the thrill and the money. I'm not going to miss them. The bigger flippers will adjust, because online selling is their platform. The guy with the occasional key, is going to get reported whether he sells to a local dealer or sells it online. Where does he get best price ... online.

So, I see people adjusting, because online is the best way to get max return. People will complain about it, but in the end, most will continue selling, in my opinion.

And fyi, I am not against flippers. But I know some are in it strictly for the thrill and the money. The extent of their involvement in the community is just that, flipping whatever book is hot at the moment. They know next to nothing about the characters beyond which one is hot. They know nothing of the artists, unless the artist is the flavor of the month. They aren't active socially with the community. Those kind of flippers will be anywhere there is a buck to be made. I'm not going to cry if any of them drop out of the comic book scene.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O

I can see a lot going back to f2f, conventions Texas , facebook, instragram (venmo, cash app, pp f&f, zelle).
Post 25 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Jesse_O

I can see a lot going back to f2f, conventions Texas , facebook, instragram (venmo, cash app, pp f&f, zelle).

That's possible I guess. I'm sure some people will probably go that way. But let's face it, nothing is going to give you the exposure (and best price) that ebay, MCS, Heritage, etc, will give you. I don't see it getting so drastic that you won't find keys online.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Finding stuff isn't really the problem. It's the prices attached that are my problem.....
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Out of curiosity, where do you think they are going to go?

I have been discussing this privately with the folks I run with.
small conventions and an occasional larger one
Flea markets
Monthly yard sales and combined friend yard sales just for comics
Forums (like this one)
FB / Instagram local ads and face-to-face money transactions.
FB /Instagram friends and those I can trust for "family and friends" paypal and other forms.

12% from ebay + 25% - 28% now - nope, not happening. Its like why even bother with that chunk let alone my 100 box inventory that I have no records of purchase prices from the 70's, 80's, 90's etc.

This will be my last year on Ebay (up to $599)
Post 28 IP   flag post
To answer your question, no, this is not where the comics go to die. MutantMania private msg quote post Address this user
I have been doing pretty good on OfferUp and Craigslist so far...Ebay is on fire as well
I don't think the $600 thing will really affect me
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantMania
OfferUp and Craigslist

Yeaaa... I forgot to mention these 2. Great for f2f local transactions
Post 30 IP   flag post
598060 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?