Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

To Press or Not To Press that is the question14112

Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I have some AMAZING SPIDER-MAN's that I bought back in 1976 from my local comic book shop, I put them in a plastic box when they were bought. My question is these comic books are 9.4 to 9.8 as is. Would pressing them increase there grades?

The Numbers are 151-159, 161-163, 165, 167 and 169.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
When in doubt press screen. That way you get a professional opinion. They have declined to press on a few occasions for me, so I don't think its just a money grab....
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Herkzy private msg quote post Address this user
Nubb here, I’m just getting ready to send in my first few for grading. Just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. So I’m on a budget, but talking with the wife. Her words “if you’re sending them in, you might as well get them pressed so you don’t have to send them in again” can’t find fault in that logic and my books are not as old as yours. If they’re going to be slabbed have them pressed. I mean, why wouldn’t you?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkzy
Nubb here, I’m just getting ready to send in my first few for grading. Just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. So I’m on a budget, but talking with the wife. Her words “if you’re sending them in, you might as well get them pressed so you don’t have to send them in again” can’t find fault in that logic and my books are not as old as yours. If they’re going to be slabbed have them pressed. I mean, why wouldn’t you?

My reason is simple, if it's coming from the printers, to the store, taken out of the box and put on the rack or shelf does it need to be pressed? I can understand if a cover has a crease in it but not coming from the printers.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Rafel - In 1976, comics were stacked in large bundles that were held together by a wire wrap and the whole stack was literally dropped on the floor of the store when it was delivered (and previously thrown into the delivery truck too). Several of the top and bottom books were always damaged, and that was before they were sorted, often times date-stamped, and jammed onto spinner racks or wire shelving by people who really didn't care about keeping the books in mint condition. It's a miracle that any of those books could receive a 9.8 or even a 9.6 today.
I bought many new comics during the 1970's and 1980's. A few have received 9.8's without pressing, but the majority don't. Take a good look at each and every one of the books you want to have graded and examine it for defects. And also take a look at a pressing website or two and educate yourself on what defects can and cannot be improved by pressing.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
What @Bronte @esaravo said.

They may be fine, but would you hate to get back a 9.6 when with a press you’d have a 9.8?

If it doesn’t matter, then just grade, but if that’s a concern, get the grade screening.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Fads89 private msg quote post Address this user
Pressing books is always worth it, just to have the peace of mind and never having to wonder if pressing would have gotten you a higher grade. I had my ASM #101 graded without pressing it first and it came back as an 8.0. I have no doubt that pressing would have resulted in a higher grade. Plus, they usually present better after pressing.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Herkzy‘s wife is right.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
With the exception of low grade comics and those thick cover 90's/2000's squarebound books, I have everything pressed.

The day I got a book back that was a 9.6 due to the mysterious "light bend", is the day that I decided I would press just about everything. I still stare at that 9.6 "light bend" book and see absolutely nothing... and I mean nothing. I've been thinking of putting it under a microscope because from a naked eyes visual perspective, it's someone's bad day grade.
I just don't want to be a victim of another bad day; so press away!

There's just too much $$$ at stake these days between 9.8 vs. 9.6. It's silly imo, but it's real. And reality is all that matters; not what I think
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Rafel - In 1976, comics were stacked in large bundles that were held together by a wire wrap and the whole stack was literally dropped on the floor of the store when it was delivered (and previously thrown into the delivery truck too). Several of the top and bottom books were always damaged, and that was before they were sorted, often times date-stamped, and jammed onto spinner racks or wire shelving by people who really didn't care about keeping the books in mint condition. It's a miracle that any of those books could receive a 9.8 or even a 9.6 today.
I bought many new comics during the 1970's and 1980's. A few have received 9.8's without pressing, but the majority don't. Take a good look at each and every one of the books you want to have graded and examine it for defects. And also take a look at a pressing website or two and educate yourself on what defects can and cannot be improved by pressing.

You are very wise my friend. I'm going to ask my presser to check out each book. Thank you all for your input. Once again I have been educated by the FORUM. What a great group of guys here!!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Keep your $6.87 bro... not even saving tax with that. Cli4dR3D0g private msg quote post Address this user
Monday morning's 9.6 is Friday afternoon's 9.8.

But seriously, I totally agree with @Fads89. Books typically just present better after being pressed.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@Herkzy‘s wife is right.

This is good advice even when not comic related.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Morgd120 private msg quote post Address this user
Does PSA offer pre-screening for cards for grades under 9.0?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjagnew
Monday morning's 9.6 is Friday afternoon's 9.8.

This is hilarious, sad and likely true, all at the same time.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
After I sent in my first batch of books about a year ago, my biggest regret was not pressing. Like your wife said, I'm going to end up sending them back at some point to be pressed. When in doubt, press screen.
Post 15 IP   flag post
598060 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?