Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

If you could go back in time...14097

Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
Be careful what you wish for Jabberwookie! I opened a LCS in 1990 only to experience the great comic crash 3 years later! I couldn't have predicted Marvel going public, the top five artist leaving Marvel to start up Image. The print runs in the millions that ruined the industry for a good decade or better. Brick and Mortars have lots of overhead. It is very hard to compete with on-line sales of comics.

That’s pretty much most of my fears right there.

Although, I’d always imagined combining a comic shop with a retro style arcade/ pub/ restaurant.

A place you could throw some birthday parties and sell some comics to the party goers.

Of course, that makes it even more expensive...

The other option is a coffee shop/ comic shop.

You should do it, Jabberwookie! Don’t pass it by if you want to and can fund getting started. Leave nothing undone on this earth.
My son owns a comic book store. He started it about 3 years ago, quite profitable oddly enough. Does new comics, only profits about $500 a month on that, but it brings a lot of people in. He sells old books, toys, cards and the like, really any collectible.
The game actually is, you buy stuff that walks in the door, or people call you about. The store is a magnet for that, and that is where the money is. You pay a fair price, depending on what it is, but you learn the markets, and right now, everything sells for a lot, usually online. Most people don’t want to bother with the work to get top dollar.
He makes a very good living, but don’t get killed on rent, or if you are in a cheaper city, buy a building. A great investment, and cheaper than I could imagine in certain areas of the country. The profits easily pay the mortgage and other costs, and then it’s a fixed expense.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Comic related; save and buy the keys now. They're not going to be cheaper.

Non-comic related; don't go get gas at 1:30pm on may 6th 2000. (Was hit head on by drunk driver)
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@doog

I’m seriously considering it for when I’m ready to retire.

There’s a little bitty town in Colorado called Trinidad and I thought that would the perfect place for a shop.

The downtown area buildings are around 100 years old, so a little shop on Main Street would be perfect.

Of course, I’d have to open a bbq spot there because I’ll need good bbq nearby.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing better than barbecue while you read comics, for sure!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
Comic related - Go back to the show where my dumbass was offered a Wonder Woman 1 at shows closing in tremendous shape for $5000. Still haunts me...... I’d have put that on my CC in 5 seconds if I could’ve done that over.

Non-Comic - Buy as many shares of EBay that I could’ve afforded and made my dad do the same when it debuted. Buy as many boxes of Alpha/Beta/Unlimited/Legends/Arabian Knights and Antiquities as humanly possible.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Non comic advice would be...none of the girls you spent that money on are going to prove useful.

Ha,.. same here. Except for one, she was a keeper. But I was young and adventurous. Even my parents reminded me of her for years.

Non-Comic Related: Back in college majoring in computer science,.. groom yourself for the .NET revolution. 911 almost destroyed my career, but I still wasn't prepare for what's to come.

Comic Related: Going back before I even had a car,...I began working full time when I was 14 (SSN), but even before then, I was mowing lawns and detailing cars. I had plenty of $$$ while living at home.

Advice to me would be....

(1) Don't blow your money on comics post 1975.
(2) When ASM-129 and Hulk-181 hit the stands, get out and walk the walk around town, grab all you can and keep them minty fresh.
(3) The ads in comics that advertised back issues,... grab all the FF1's and AF15's you can get ahold of.
(4) I didn't care for DC comics, so I knew nothing about Action-1 and Detective-27. I have no idea what their value was in the early 70's. INVESTIGATE
(5) I had no idea what GA Pre-Code Horror (etc...) was. INVESTIGATE, and find out how to acquire them.

My collection today might possibly have been worth multi 7 figures.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Comic related - forget about buying multiple lower grade issues of the same key and buy the higher grade copy.

Non-comic related - keep the lake house.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
If you went back in your own timeline, what comic related bit of knowledge would you give yourself?

The CGC (Comics Guaranty Company) opened its doors and graded its first comics in early 2000. A highly respected comic dealer, Steve Borock, was hired to be CGC's first primary grader and unofficial ambassador for certified grading. Before CGC, the grading of comic books was left to individual dealers and collectors.

This is what I would tell 16 year old me as he gets his first job. I would tell him that it will change the industry and create a value explosion at a level that's impossible to imagine in 1986. It will make "condition" matter on a level that's impossible to imagine in 1986. I would like to believe that I could just tell him that this industry changing event will occur in 2000 and see if he can figure out the ramifications for himself. However, the fact that I couldn't figure it out in 2000 would imply that 16 year old me would have no chance of recognizing it's significance and how to prepare accordingly.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
or if you are in a cheaper city, buy a building. A great investment, and cheaper than I could imagine in certain areas of the country.

@doog You gotta wonder how many small business owners wish they could tell their younger selves "buy the building". The chances of retiring by selling the building are probably about 10x of the chances of retiring by selling the business.
Post 34 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Comics: I would've told myself to get into the collected edition HC/TPB game right away. Don't waste time on floppies unless you can get a full run for a great price.

Other: Don't sell Reserved List cards too soon. RIP Mox Diamonds.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

Isn't that the book Biff used in Back to the Future.. It's nice to dream but could it be life changing or worse, world changing..

Comic related I'm 72 so I did have a chance to buy a Action Comics #1 in the late 60's but wimped out..
first born was on the way..

non comic related.. "GOLD" at $32 a ounce.. I have a few of $20 gold coins but more would have been nice.. I think I paid $100 for my first mint St. Gauden's
Buying more Twentieth Century Fox In 1977.. (Star Wars) I did buy quite a lot but the wife put her foot down when I wanted to double the pot..

I could go on but alas wishful thinking is just that..
Post 36 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
I would order a subscription to STUNTMAN COMICS so I would
receive a copy of #3.

Marty
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I tell the guy who lived 2 hours from Todd McFarlane's comic store in Phoenix to make the drive and buy as much of Todd's original Spider-Man art as he could carry out the door.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Buy gold and silver.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift
. It's nice to dream but could it be life changing or worse, world changing..

@Gotlift Exactly, after writing my post about the rise of Third Party Grading I started thinking about Sarah Connor from Terminator...how knowing the future turned her into a paranoid obsessive who got locked up. If I knew in 1986 what I know now it would have changed everything. I would have probably never gone to college or left home even. I would be the Comic Book Miser, never having a penny because everything is spend hoarding these comic books that could make me rich one day if I ever decided to sell. I realized that the only thing I would tell my 16 year old self is "Live your life but don't be afraid to spend a little money on the older first appearances, it will work out ok. The one's people like now...they're still going to like them in the future".
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlift
. It's nice to dream but could it be life changing or worse, world changing..

@Gotlift Exactly, after writing my post about the rise of Third Party Grading I started thinking about Sarah Connor from Terminator...how knowing the future turned her into a paranoid obsessive who got locked up. If I knew in 1986 what I know now it would have changed everything. I would have probably never gone to college or left home even. I would be the Comic Book Miser, never having a penny because everything is spend hoarding these comic books that could make me rich one day if I ever decided to sell. I realized that the only thing I would tell my 16 year old self is "Live your life but don't be afraid to spend a little money on the older first appearances, it will work out ok. The one's people like now...they're still going to like them in the future".

You very closely described an episode of Amazing Stories called “Gather Ye Acorns.”

It stars Mark Hamill and its a fun little nod to collecting.

Jabberwookie says check it out!
Post 41 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I’d get back into collecting a few years earlier, buy every UF4 new at every Barnes & Noble I could get to for a week. And not get them graded until CBCS started up.

Non comic, I’d tell myself to go ahead and buy that bitcoin stuff I was seriously looking into back in 2012. I just didn’t quite understand it. Could’ve put $3k into it instead of buying a money pit project car. Ugh.
Post 42 IP   flag post
A couple other things I could tell 1986 me:

One day you will tell new collectors that you pressed comic books with a stack of encyclopedias...and they may well say "what's an encyclopedia?".

One day you will tell new collectors that the Overstreet Price Guide capped values at 9.2...and not only will they laugh but they may well say "what's an Overstreet Price Guide?"
Post 43 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I did think of one more thing I would have told myself, give mom your copy of Mad #1 and make her promise to keep it for you!
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I did think of one more thing I would have told myself, give mom your copy of Mad #1 and make her promise to keep it for you!

I’ve got a box of mad magazines from the 80s in my office.

They aren’t in great shape and aren’t worth anything, really.

But, I just can’t get rid of them.

Good times.

RIP Mad Magazine
Post 45 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
I would tell myself to put off buying those SA that called to me, Silver Surfer #1, Captain Marvel #1, Captain America #100, and Sub-Mariner #1. Instead, embrace the X-Men and instead of buying a case of Alpha Flight #1, buy a case of Hulk 181.

Non-comic advice - While I was correct in not investing clients in dot com this and dot com that in the late 90's, and thus avoiding the dot com crash of 2000-2003 and actually making clients money in that time, for gods sake, buy Amazon during that crash, ignore the fact that it will lose billions for a decade, and just hold it.
Post 46 IP   flag post
601333 46 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?