Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

GPA vs GoCollect.com revisited14071

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
For about a year I've been using GoCollect.com subscription exclusively. While prices are going crazy I've decided it's worth the extra $10 a month the have both GoCollect.com and GPAnalysis.com subscription services. Here's my take on the good and bad of both, others can chime in:

GoCollect.com: Really can't be fully appreciated from a cell phone. You need to be sitting down at a larger screen computer to get the benefits of it. It's like a 5 course meal with dessert but you need to dig deep in order to get accurate information. Estimated Values can be severely misleading in a volitale market and it seems that new sales can take longer to get factored in. But the site is like a luxury SUV...lot's of cup-holders, plenty of accessories and room for luggage.

GPAnalysis.com: Seems to be built specifically with mobile phone use in mind. Entree only, no appetizer, side dishes or dessert. Quickly shows you the latest sale and the 12 month average without misleading and outdated value estimates. It separates signature books into individual line items. It includes things that can affect selling price like "cracked case" or "severe miscut". I haven't seen "miswrap" or "ink overspray" yet though. When you're sitting at a desktop computer it's definitely not as intuitive or as user friendly as GoCollect.com. GoCollect is more like a concierge service.

If I was a dealer at a con with a cell phone and just wanted recent sales I would go with GPAnalysis.com, hands down. If I was working from home and wanted to create lists to track my collection, wanted hours of amusement and distraction to go along with the prices...then no question it would be GoCollect.com. That's the best way I can summarize my experience, GPA is quick results on a cell phone, GoCollect is for a more immersive collector experience on a laptop/desktop.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Actually a rather solid analysis. I myself have issues with the numerous data errors and broken links with gocollect as well as a seeming inability to reflect sales in a rapid manner as well as the limited stream they do harness. GPA in my view will soon have to embrace cbcs in sales results or become obsolete however. The grading is tighter and these new slabs from cbcs are rather stunning and I cannot see GPA refusing to accept the future that is coming
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia I have had no issues with using Gocollect from my phone. I can easily get to the data while at a show or at an LCS for a quick reference. I have never tried GPA though.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Gpa has a free demo of 3 books. You can take a peek and see how it is on these 3 books.

https://comics.gpanalysis.com/try-out
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@EbayMafia I have had no issues with using Gocollect from my phone. I can easily get to the data while at a show or at an LCS for a quick reference. I have never tried GPA though.

@BrianGreensnips My one issue with GoCollect is that I feel like I have to dig pretty deep to get the accurate information. I was looking at one the other day with an FMV estimate of $400 in grade but when I clicked on the sales I could see that all the sales this month were closer to $600.
Post 5 IP   flag post
A good simple way to see how far Gocollect lags behind is to search Giant size x men 1 which I documented sales for in a previous thread....if you could only buy at gocollect prices listed currently and sell at market that would be amazing
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector jeffreyk1965 private msg quote post Address this user
I subscribe to both and use both. GPA is much more up to date and posts sales very quickly. The major weakness of GPA is that Comiclink sales are not included. GoCollect is missing many recent sales and often picks up some sales from an auction but not others. I even pointed out a missing Incredible Hulk #1 sale from comiclink with a picture of the sale and it still doesn't show in their site. They are also inconsistent posting Ebay sales as well. Some post and others do not.

Both sites offer a wealth of informatikon and are fun to use.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
I've been using GC exclusively for years. One of my concerns with GPA, when I was using it years ago, was no pictures. They come in handy,once in a while, on GC.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
GoCollect has been woefully slow to update their data and right now, with the market booming, for me it's pretty much been useless
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Gocollect values are so far behind that I am having second thoughts keeping the service. I have complained several times to them and they are "working on it". Defeats the purpose of paying for a service when you still have to look everything up on Ebay.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Mattereaterlad and Moodswing for the win
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I may have to look into GPA with what you guys are saying. @MatterEaterLad Like you say, with the market booming, it could make a difference. Luckily I am ot selling too much lately. I mostly use Gocollect as a guide for buying and a guide to help decide which books to send out to get slabbed.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips

GPA doesn't have cbcs books though. I have found myself buying more cbcs lately so I still prefer gocollect when the site is actually working.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Not sure about GPA but I've found GoCollect to be very useful by using their lists basically as an Inventory control system. For example when a books is being slabbed it is in the list "Books being Slabbed". When it returns it might get moved into my "Slabbed Inventory" list, or it might be shipped to MCS and go into the "Books at MCS" list. I could even create a list of sold books, but so far MCS does a good enough job of that.
Post 14 IP   flag post
GPA does offer a my collection type feature that you can utilize as well, although I only use it for my bigger ticket books
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
@BrianGreensnips

GPA doesn't have cbcs books though. I have found myself buying more cbcs lately so I still prefer gocollect when the site is actually working.

This comment I keep hearing about GPA always makes me wonder a bit...
I think its basically fair to say that a book is a book regardless what slab its in . I dont price things differently in my trades if its CGC or CBCS slabbed cause honestly though many say the market tilts to CGC I find the new CBCS slabs a better thing, and the grading at CGC has gone off the deep end the past few years to my eyes.....I find CBCS grading pretty tight, so to me it all balances out...CGC and the public perception their slabs are worth more vs better slabs and tighter grading at CBCS....for me its a wash. You can price a book in GPA using CGC prices and it is a pretty true reflection of its value in the CBCS slab .....
thats just how I view it though and I understand others mileage might vary
Post 16 IP   flag post
One thing that has never been explained to me about GoCollect is their "Hottest Sellers" list of top 1,000 back issue comic books selling in a given week. Collectible Comics don't sell in high enough volume to have 1,000 different positions. Bob's Big Boy Comics moved to #361 last week and I know there is no way in hell it sold at least 639 copies. Does #361 mean that it sold 3 copies? 4 copies? How does a book get to #361 without being tied in volume with at least 300 other books? I really wish they would give some insight into what kind of volume these rankings actually mean. If a book moved from unmentioned one week to #361 the next week by selling 3 copies...that movement is far less significant than what is indicated by the "Up 639 spots" designation.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Interesting point and it makes you wonder of the books chosen could be those particular books the owners of the platform or their friends could possibly be heavily invested in as well.
I remember back when CVM came out once a month with its agressive price increases constantly in play...we used to call it the Comics Vascular monthly cause you could get a coronory believing some of the price jumps it showed. Knew many dealers who would purchase collections using an Overstreet Annual, and sell at CVM pricing.
Used to be a store called Atomic Comics in Wichita kansas we used to visit once in a while...the owner was caught using an older Overstreet stapled inside a newer copy's cover to price collections he would try to buy....yikes.
For myself I find arbitrary rankings of hot books without supporting data to be market manipulation at its worst.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Interesting point and it makes you wonder of the books chosen could be those particular books the owners of the platform or their friends could possibly be heavily invested in as well.

I haven't seen anything yet that leads me to believe the GoCollect crew is quite that nefarious. I think like many a news reporting agency they are over-reaching in pursuit of eyeballs. What I think they could be more credibly accused of is trying to make the information their site provides seem more compelling than it actually is. Trying to make the meaningless appear meaningful and worthy of discussion by leaving out the context that would undermine the narrative. Basically creating narratives that aren't really there.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Also just as likely, but you have to accept that the easiest books to recommend and suggest are those that you might favor or be heavily invested in yourself, even if it is done in sincerity
Post 20 IP   flag post
598060 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?