Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

Avengers #4...grade or not?14060

Collector GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross



Paid more for the grading. Makes the book liquid if anything happened to me.
My main purpose to have my books 3rd part graded


Another awesome book totally worthy of being slabbed...incidentally that's a reason I slab my books as well...liquidity in the event something happens to me.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross



Paid more for the grading. Makes the book liquid if anything happened to me.
My main purpose to have my books 3rd part graded


Another awesome book totally worthy of being slabbed...incidentally that's a reason I slab my books as well...liquidity in the event something happens to me.


Yep, my wife when tired of the collection bundles them up after I'm gone. Ships them to a auction house and goes on a holiday with the proceeds 👍
Post 102 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross



Paid more for the grading. Makes the book liquid if anything happened to me.
My main purpose to have my books 3rd part graded


Another awesome book totally worthy of being slabbed...incidentally that's a reason I slab my books as well...liquidity in the event something happens to me.


The opinion that slabbing makes books more liquid is highly suspect; a generalization best not taken seriously.

But as a preparation in relation to estate concerns may make sense in some instances.

Bottom line: Best to pursue a range of opinions beyond the range of echo chambers/heavily biased group settings.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Collector flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmisty4me
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross



Paid more for the grading. Makes the book liquid if anything happened to me.
My main purpose to have my books 3rd part graded


Another awesome book totally worthy of being slabbed...incidentally that's a reason I slab my books as well...liquidity in the event something happens to me.


The opinion that slabbing makes books more liquid is highly accurate


I've corrected your typo.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmisty4me
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross



Paid more for the grading. Makes the book liquid if anything happened to me.
My main purpose to have my books 3rd part graded


Another awesome book totally worthy of being slabbed...incidentally that's a reason I slab my books as well...liquidity in the event something happens to me.


The opinion that slabbing makes books more liquid is highly [redacted due to failed attempt at humor].


I've corrected your typo.


Hilarious, but not a typo.

Slabbing may make some books more liquid, but many factors pertain.

I'd suggest reassessing your bias & other related issues in this matter, and making an attempt to understand how they may be coloring your perception.
Post 105 IP   flag post


Collector MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
Wow!! This topic really took off!

I want to add a little backstory. About 10 years or so ago, I took this Avengers #4 to the Silicon Valley Comic-Con to submit to CBCS in-person. At the time (pre-MCU), the CBCS examiner recommended I not have it graded. The hole punches made it a reader, not too valuable at the time. Well, times have changed!

Thanks for the expert advice and the multiple points of view. I wanted this community's opinion, and I got it in spades. As much as I appreciate the comments by @Redmisty4me, and I do, I think the expertise of the members of this board are as valuable as any advice I could get in-person at any convention, or anywhere else in the world for that matter.

Heeding your sage advice, I have decided to press and grade my Avengers #4.

My humble thanks to you all!
Post 106 IP   flag post
Collector DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It's going to be awesome.
Post 107 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNotSoNice
Heeding your sage advice, I have decided to press and grade my Avengers #4.


I've slept on it and changed my position...don't slab! Seriously though, I can see where more than a decade ago many books below about 3.0 were considered a reader and not worth slabbing. But as demand increased over time those readers became more and more valuable as the book in general became harder to find. I gotta add, if someone punched holes in a book, I would want an expert opinion on what else he might have done to it before paying anywhere near Fair Market Value.
Post 108 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@MrNotSoNice I feel that you will be pleased to have it in a slab. It should present nicely.
Post 109 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@MrNotSoNice - Press it, slab it,... and be done with it.
Post 110 IP   flag post
Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@MrNotSoNice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
@MrNotSoNice - Press it, slab it,... and be done with it.

Press it, slab it, grab a bucket of chicken and run the tub.
Post 111 IP   flag post
Collector southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@MrNotSoNice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
@MrNotSoNice - Press it, slab it,... and be done with it.

Press it, slab it, grab a bucket of chicken and run the tub.


What sit in a hot tub, chicken leg in one hand, waving a Avengers 4 in a slab with the other keeping it out of the tub

Fun on a Sunday night 👍
Post 112 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNotSoNice
Wow!! This topic really took off!

I want to add a little backstory. About 10 years or so ago, I took this Avengers #4 to the Silicon Valley Comic-Con to submit to CBCS in-person. At the time (pre-MCU), the CBCS examiner recommended I not have it graded. The hole punches made it a reader, not too valuable at the time. Well, times have changed!

Thanks for the expert advice and the multiple points of view. I wanted this community's opinion, and I got it in spades. As much as I appreciate the comments by @Redmisty4me, and I do, I think the expertise of the members of this board are as valuable as any advice I could get in-person at any convention, or anywhere else in the world for that matter.

Heeding your sage advice, I have decided to press and grade my Avengers #4.

My humble thanks to you all!


Thanks for weighing in OP, and for your kind words.

While I think you're making the wrong decision not to pursue a wider variety of opinions beyond the forum (and still feel that slabbing the book is the wrong decision and one you may come to regret), I do hope it works out for you.

And interesting to note the advice from 10 years ago, as even then books with this particular issue were selling above reader value levels; so the right advice then (& now), but not really based on the market at the time.

Were it not for the divot, and the book high grade beyond the punch holes, I'd say you were making the right decision to slab - with a CGC Green label a serious & possible best option - but as it stands, I do worry that you'll come to regret the choice, as once slabbed, the grade tends to stick.

Interesting and illuminating conversation nonetheless, so most definitely worthwhile - thank you for the opportunity to discuss.
Post 113 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
The book will not get a green label if submitted nor should it. Monetary wise the book is more worth $ wise with a blue label as it is not a high grade book even if we pretend the punch holes are not there.

Only reason a press might be beneficial would be to fix the spine roll and/or for presentation purposes.

Btw - I have submitted books with punch holes to CGC in the past.
Post 114 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
The book will not get a green label if submitted nor should it. Monetary wise the book is more worth $ wise with a blue label as it is not a high grade book even if we pretend the punch holes are not there.

Only reason a press might be beneficial would be to fix the spine roll and/or for presentation purposes.

Btw - I have submitted books with punch holes to CGC in the past.


I don't know what you're basing that assumption on & you may or may not be correct; note that I said IF the book were otherwise high grade Green might be the best way to go, so we're not now talking about THIS book. (Again, the OP could get answers on numerous issues if they walked the book through the next convention and spoke to someone at the CGC booth among other stops.) It may or may not be worth more as a blue label; it depends on the grade (which you've said you think will be very low), but the divot is the main issue, and the reason I think it unwise to slab the book as co-existing with the holes.

I have no opinion on pressing.

I've handled quite a few of this type of book as well - what kind of punch holes did your books have?
Post 115 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Please find me a CGC green label due to punch holes.

And the whole thing about IF the book is high grade is totally irrelevant to OP

not to forget that i cannot find the „If“ in your comment. please help me find it


Post 116 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Please find me a CGC green label due to punch holes.

And the whole thing about IF the book is high grade is totally irrelevant to OP

not to forget that i cannot find the „If“ in your comment. please help me find it




No problem, but let's make it interesting shall we?

You pursued this line of reasoning, not me - I simply mentioned that IF the book were high grade save for the holes, a Green label might be wisely pursued/received; you then took that & ran with it.

My comment as it pertains to this particular rabbit hole:

"Were it not [aka IF not] for the divot, and the book high grade beyond the punch holes, I'd say you were making the right decision to slab - with a CGC Green label a serious & possible best option - but as it stands, I do worry that you'll come to regret the choice, as once slabbed, the grade tends to stick."
Post 117 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@Redmisty4me AKA not any help to the OP as you refer to a theoretical case instead of what OP is facing while i am referring to OP‘s actual book

i am still waiting for a green label due to punch holes - although i suspect that is also a theoretical case of yours

finally - english is not my primary language but if English follows the same rules then the "," after "divot" implies that your socalled IF only relates to the divot and not to the book high grade. If you intended to imply the socalled IF to also cover the high grade then I would not expect a "," after the divot.

But I'll leave that to the teachers
Post 118 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@Redmisty4me AKA not any help to the OP as you refer to a theoretical case instead of what OP is facing while i am referring to OP‘s actual book

i am still waiting for a green label due to punch holes - although i suspect that is also a theoretical case of yours

finally - english is not my primary language but if English follows the same rules then the "," after "divot" implies that your socalled IF only relates to the divot and not to the book high grade. If you intended to imply the socalled IF to also cover the high grade then I would not expect a "," after the divot.

But I'll leave that to the teachers


It was an attempt to explain what MIGHT make slabbing a good idea rather than a bad one - hence my "were it not." (I'm not sure why this is an issue.)

I'm still waiting on what will make my doing that interesting for us both - suggestions?

Thank you for sharing that - I suspected as much; your confusion is apparent.

(Virtually) hug one today!
Post 119 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@Redmisty4me Trust me - I am not confused but then again I am not surprised at all that you would call me that. I am ensuring that it goes on record for the forum before this post is locked that your "advice" has little relevance to the actual case OP is facing.
Post 120 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmisty4me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
I agree with everyone else.

It might not be the best condition, but it’s a key, it’s silver age and it still has decent value.

Slabbing will, at the least, preserve that grade and, possibly, the value.

Nice book!


Not everyone else; a calm & reasonable voice of dissent has weighed in otherwise...


In all fairness, I’d typed this before I saw your response.

But, I am curious why you think he should not.

My thinking is it preserves the value on a SA key, gets an (for the most part) industry standard number on it, and adds to the value over selling it raw.

Are you coming at it from the angle that market might drop or that you think it’s going to grade so low that it won’t be financially viable?

I may be wrong, but I’m thinking that book is in the 3 range ( assuming that the hole punches aren’t total killers, which they might be) and that range is still a profitable book, and a nice one for his PC, as well.

I’m not saying you’re wrong; I just want to understand your position better.
Post 121 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
@Redmisty4me Trust me - I am not confused but then again I am not surprised at all that you would call me that. I am ensuring that it goes on record for the forum before this post is locked that your "advice" has little relevance to the actual case OP is facing.


I think you are confused, including about being confused, but that's okay - it happens. Wha'? (Makes no sense, and is simply further product of your confusion.)

Bottom line is that the OP is IMHO making a mistake based on the state of the ACTUAL book, and that's fine - it's his book.

But do let me know what sort of friendly agreement we're going to make on whether I'm right about the green labels - you've ensured that it's gone on record that you think I'm wrong after all!
Post 122 IP   flag post
385422 122 22
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.