Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

Avengers #4...grade or not?14060

Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@EbayMafia Ha! I get that but unfortunately engaging these trolls is exactly what they're looking for.

As the topic has shifted to an unnamed troll & trolling, one thing I've observed is that they often aren't aware of who they are, but the biggest tell that someone is either a troll or engaged in trolling is the introduction of the accusation - a smelt/dealt kind of thing.

To accuse another of being a troll is derailing, off-topic and though often *cleverly* phrased, a personal attack.

In other words, trolling.
Post 76 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I'm thoroughly confused. Am I the troll?!? And what if you troll the troll? There can potentially be endless trolls.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
It is a conversation I have with my son (a dealer) often. He believes a lot of books do not increase in value through slabbing, but some do. Optimist me says do it for every key, so I do, if it will likely sell for at least $100. Plus I just canโ€™t tell.
No doubt my son is correct, but I like the Christmas effect of getting my grades, and having a bunch of slabs, encased. Curious what the poster will choose.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
I'm thoroughly confused. Am I the troll?!? And what if you troll the troll, there can potentially be endless trolls.

Flanders?

You're much too nice.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia they even had wrestling on tv back in Brisbane when I was in junior high.

Hulk hogan, that guy man savage, Andre the giant, ect. Was fun to watch but was aired quite irregular down there.
It was like the show was thrown in with a bunch of shows the network down there bought. ๐Ÿ‘
Post 80 IP   flag post

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmisty4me
It follows the smelt/dealt rule.

Ha, that rule is just something big brothers told younger brothers so they wouldn't complain about their farts. Big brothers teach little brothers lots of self-serving rules like that. I know this, I have first hand experience in both roles.
Post 81 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
It is a conversation I have with my son (a dealer) often. He believes a lot of books do not increase in value through slabbing, but some do. Optimist me says do it for every key, so I do, if it will likely sell for at least $100. Plus I just canโ€™t tell.
No doubt my son is correct, but I like the Christmas effect of getting my grades, and having a bunch of slabs, encased. Curious what the poster will choose.

Great comments, and I hope your son is one of the people the OP seeks an opinion from.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm thoroughly confused. Am I the troll?!? And what if you troll the troll? There can potentially be endless trolls.

Everybody poops/trolls/farts/etc.

But the accusation is often meaningless except as an indicator that the accuser is quite likely the (or at least a) guilty party, and may well be resorting to ad hominem because they're out of gas rhetorically.
Post 83 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross @EbayMafia WWF Saturday Nights Main Event was my favourite wrestling show growing up...it was great!!
Post 84 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
It follows the smelt/dealt rule.

Ha, that rule is just something big brothers told younger brothers so they wouldn't complain about their farts. Big brothers teach little brothers lots of self-serving rules like that. I know this, I have first hand experience in both roles.

Ha!

But it has real-world implications beyond sibling tussles; psychology recognizes the phenomenon & its purposes, some of which you've touched on.
Post 85 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Meanwhile...

Post 86 IP   flag post
Quote:
It is a conversation I have with my son (a dealer) often. He believes a lot of books do not increase in value through slabbing, but some do.

@doog The irony of this whole conversation is that buying raw books from dealers and individuals and increasing value by slabbing is something that many of us have been doing for years.
Post 87 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC when I watched I think it was the golden age of wrestling. Everyone my age knows who hulk hogan is back in Australia. Ask them about a famous quarterback and you'd get blank stares.
Post 88 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Meanwhile...

lol!! ๐Ÿป
Post 89 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
@GAC when I watched I think it was the golden age of wrestling. Everyone my age knows who hulk hogan is back in Australia. Ask them about a famous quarterback and you'd get blank stares.

Agreed!! Those wrestlers were living superheroes and supervillains!! Piper, Orndorff, Hogan, Andre, Snuka.and it goes on and on....great times for sure!!
Post 90 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
It is a conversation I have with my son (a dealer) often. He believes a lot of books do not increase in value through slabbing, but some do.

@doog The irony of this whole conversation is that buying raw books from dealers and individuals and increasing value by slabbing is something that many of us have been doing for years.

I'm not sure I'm seeing the irony; some crack to increase value if a book is perceived as under graded.
Post 91 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm not sure I'm seeing the irony; some crack to increase value if a book is perceived as under graded.

And some dealers crack and resubmit to PGX. But they often find that their loyal customer base dwindles year after year. @Redmisty4me did you ever deal with Nick Scotto?
Post 92 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

And some dealers crack and resubmit to PGX. But they often find that their loyal customer base dwindles year after year. @Redmisty4me did you ever deal with Nick Scotto?

Okay... Okay... Relevance?

Before we go any further into the weeds, maybe you should reread my comments.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
given OP disappeared - can post this

https://www.learning-mind.com/having-the-last-word-important-deal/

so the advice is - not to engage
Post 94 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Though the thread seems to have wandered quite a way from where it started...

The OP's story seems familiar. An important Silver Age key ... punctured for a two-ring binder ... bought for $5. Ah, yes, it seems familiar because it's also the story of this book:

That Avengers at least looks a lot nicer than mine. I slabbed mine for two reasons. The first was to get a grade from a disinterested party (for some reason, I find it harder to grade books when there's this much wrong with them). I was expecting 1.5. Happy to get a 2.0 out of it. I had tried a few times to sell it raw, but could never get any takers - except for those who would offer $50 and act like they were doing me a favor. After it came back from grading, I decided to keep it. The second reason is, quite simply, the cover is still attached at both staples by the faintest whisper of paper. If it was opened/handled a few more times it was going to give way and become coverless.
Post 95 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
Though the thread seems to have wandering quite a way from where it started...

The OP's story seems familiar. An important Silver Age key ... punctured for a two-ring binder ... bought for $5. Ah, yes, it seems familiar because it's also the story of this book:

That Avengers at least looks a lot nicer than mine. I slabbed mine for two reasons. The first was to get a grade from a disinterested party (for some reason, I find it harder to grade books when there's this much wrong with them). I was expecting 1.5. Happy to get a 2.0 out of it. I had tried a few times to sell it raw, but could never get any takers - except for those would would offer $50 and act like they were doing me a favor. After it came back from grading, I decided to keep it. The second reason is, quite simply, the cover is still attached at both staples by the faintest whisper of paper. If it was opened/handled a few more times it was going to give way and become coverless.

Great book, huge key and I'd have slabbed that book as well in heartbeat!!
Post 96 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
given OP disappeared - can post this

https://www.learning-mind.com/having-the-last-word-important-deal/

so the advice is - not to engage

What is the relevance to the topic?

Also, an easily dismissed bit of garbled opinion masquerading as wisdom in the linked article.

IMHO.
Post 97 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
Though the thread seems to have wandered quite a way from where it started...

That Avengers at least looks a lot nicer than mine. I slabbed mine for two reasons. The first was to get a grade from a disinterested party (for some reason, I find it harder to grade books when there's this much wrong with them). I was expecting 1.5. Happy to get a 2.0 out of it. I had tried a few times to sell it raw, but could never get any takers - except for those who would offer $50 and act like they were doing me a favor. After it came back from grading, I decided to keep it. The second reason is, quite simply, the cover is still attached at both staples by the faintest whisper of paper. If it was opened/handled a few more times it was going to give way and become coverless.

Interesting!

And in this instance, I tend to think that having it slabbed was a good call; I'd also have expected a 1.5, so the 2.0 a great outcome.
Post 98 IP   flag post

Paid more for the grading. Makes the book liquid if anything happened to me.
My main purpose to have my books 3rd part graded
Post 99 IP   flag post

Here are two more.
Paid $5 each
Roughly $2-3 each in U.S. currency.
Love cheap keys.
Unfortunately they are not Avengers 4 or Crimesuspense 22s So I haven't bothered to have them 3rd party graded
Post 100 IP   flag post
Quote:

Another awesome book totally worthy of being slabbed...incidentally that's a reason I slab my books as well...liquidity in the event something happens to me.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Another awesome book totally worthy of being slabbed...incidentally that's a reason I slab my books as well...liquidity in the event something happens to me.

Yep, my wife when tired of the collection bundles them up after I'm gone. Ships them to a auction house and goes on a holiday with the proceeds ๐Ÿ‘
Post 102 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

The opinion that slabbing makes books more liquid is highly suspect; a generalization best not taken seriously.

But as a preparation in relation to estate concerns may make sense in some instances.

Bottom line: Best to pursue a range of opinions beyond the range of echo chambers/heavily biased group settings.
Post 103 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

The opinion that slabbing makes books more liquid is highly accurate

I've corrected your typo.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

The opinion that slabbing makes books more liquid is highly [redacted due to failed attempt at humor].

I've corrected your typo.

Hilarious, but not a typo.

Slabbing may make some books more liquid, but many factors pertain.

I'd suggest reassessing your bias & other related issues in this matter, and making an attempt to understand how they may be coloring your perception.
Post 105 IP   flag post
600477 122 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.