Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSPComics Bronze Age

A little history / update14051

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
A lot of you know my history that in January 2019, I sent in of 2 comics to CBCS as my first test of their services. Not just grading, but Signature Verification and Pressing.

The one most of you know about was my Marvel Fanfare #1 which I have owned since publication and was signed shortly after by my favorite artist. It is the only comic that I have had personally signed. That comic was shaped like a hockey stick after an unfortunate accident in 2018. @SteveRicketts technical expertise brought it back to a 9.6 and Verification passed as I knew it should but was worried since it was signed back in 1982.

The other comic was an X-Men 100 that I bought as a 9.0 Green Label with a "name written on the cover" in gold. Pretty clear whose name was written.

Well, that came back to me as a CBCS Red Label 9.4 with Dave Cockrum Verified signature.

After another test run, I decided to send 3,200 comics (most of my collection) into CBCS in july of 2019. My intention was to keep certain comics and runs for my permanent (Force Ghost) collection and sell off a small majority of the graded comics for both room and funding of the endeavor. I have been very pleased with product quality and the services offered. Thank you to @SBorock @SteveRicketts @Darryl_H Paul F. and all of the CBCS crew!

Now, a little deeper into that update portion. While my first test contained one comic that was PC the other, X-Men 100, I wasn't sure about. Eventually, I decided to do an X-Men eXodus and sell off all of my X-Men comics. Those characters and titles were not my favs growing up, and I really only became interested in them when John Byrne started working on them. But, when CBCS updated the labels, I had some red labels that I thought looked great and would keep as is (like my Stan Lee VSP 9.0 Silver Surfer #1), but really thought the X-Men 100 would look better with the new yellow label. So I sent it back in. And, I was correct IMO. That made selling this comic very difficult and I was on the fence. I still put it up, but was very torn. Ultimately it held no emotional connection for me and I had to stick to my guns. And, last night the trigger has been pulled and the 9.4 Cockrum Signed X-Men 100 has sold at what looks to be the Highest price ever for a 9.4 grade X-Men 100 (Blue label, VSP, ASP, cgc SS included). $525 + 3% MCS buyer premium + shipping. Obviously, I am not the only one that respects CBCS quality.

While I don't have a picture of the green label, here are the after and after/afters of the Red to Yellow labels.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
Oh that’s cool! I’ve been away from CBCS (and grading altogether) for a little while and was unaware that they changed the verified label to yellow! I might send in my Wolverine#1 to get reslabbed now! It was my first signature and have been happy with it in my PC with its red label but yellow does look better (and clearly has impact on sale potential)
Post 2 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@bythegram - Since you have a Red, I would also add, that your red is in the older style encasement with the clips on the top and bottom. If you do send in, you will also get the new sonicweld encasement which I think are a definite upgrade and the best on the market at this point.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks, man. I have a bunch of red labels, I do like the yellow, for certain books, and an improved case is a plus.
I usually drop them before I get them reholdered though.
I think they could also press any signed book I send in for reholdering, that could be fun.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
My wallet does not like this news as much as I do
Post 5 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Cool story, not sure if its the camera angle or just the new slab, but the difference in the 2 photos is pretty pronounced. BTW, I get a kick out of Professor X standing in front of his crumpled wheelchair looking like Wendigo from the Hulk 181 cover.

Post 6 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia - There is most definitely a quality/lighting issue between my photo of the Red label compared to the MCS scan of the Yellow label. That said, the Yellow label just blended into the natural green and yellow colors of the cover. Since I referenced it in my original post, I feel the same about the red label blending better with my Silver Surfer 1. Even though I would prefer the new sonicweld encasement, I think the yellow label would detract from the cover, so I am keeping as is.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
@EbayMafia - There is most definitely a quality/lighting issue between my photo of the Red label compared to the MCS scan of the Yellow label. That said, the Yellow label just blended into the natural green and yellow colors of the cover. Since I referenced it in my original post, I feel the same about the red label blending better with my Silver Surfer 1. Even though I would prefer the new sonicweld encasement, I think the yellow label would detract from the cover, so I am keeping as is.

On the plus side; if the case is ever damaged and you do get it reholdered; there’s plenty of yellow on the cover to not detract too much👍🏻
Post 8 IP   flag post
@HulkSmash - I actually did consider because of that. Looked at other SS1 with yellow label and your right, it Didn’t overshadow the art much at all.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Fascinating thread and amazing Surfer book!
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Redmisty4me - Thanks
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Cool books and story!

Out of curiosity, what percentage have you sold versus kept for the PC?

If you don’t mind sharing, that is.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie - Of the 3,200 that I initially sent in back in July 2019, I was thinking of paring down to about 500 and that quickly jumped to 1,000 and selling 2,200 as my inner collector re-kindled.

Then, I started to pick up some holes in my runs and better copies, so my guess at this point is that I will end up with collection of 1,000 to maybe 1,500 and sell 2,200-2,700.

Yes, if you are looking at those numbers, I added another 1,000 comics to my collection. Mostly raw so i could enjoy the stories and art before sending in.

Oh, and then there are a little under 100 magazine size that i am trying not to send in to cgc. I may break down and send in to Joe @CFP_Comics for press and encasement at cgc. While I really would prefer a CBCS grade and encasement, I know a lot of forum members like CFP and well, CBCS doesn’t have the Magazine size yet and I happen to be an actual Certified Financial Planner (CFP) practitioner.

We will see on the end numbers and the magazines.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator

Nice!

No judgement here on keeping more.

The reason I asked is I’m trying to figure out my own keep vs sale ratio, and of course reinvestment into silver age books.

I’m always up for learning from people with more experience than I have.
Post 14 IP   flag post
600771 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?