Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

Is Printing Identified on Slabs? (Viz & TokyoPop)14049

I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Was hoping someone on the boards might be able to provide some insight specifically on Viz Comic/Tokyopop with a focus on the printing number on a Slab.

I have a Pokemon: Electric Pikachu #1 (1st print), DragonBall Z #1 (1st print), and Dragonball (1st print) I'd like to slab, but am unsure if either CBCS or CGC identify the printing number on the label?

With the very sparse submission numbers for these titles, and with the incredible amount of printings for these books, it's important to me from a monetary standpoint to ensure that the printing is identified on the label, else it be forever lost.

Important Note: The printing is only identified on the inner front cover; nowhere else on the exterior of the comic for Viz/Tokyopop. Therefore that information will be non-observable after slabbing
Post 1 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I have seen some copies of TMNT #1 that have been slabbed and the printing noted on the label.

https://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DTeenage%2BMutant%2BNinja%2BTurtles%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1465939
Post 2 IP   flag post
@DWeeB1967 Yeaaa... my concern is that CBCS/CGC understand the huge variation and absolute value of TMNT #1; thus the requirement/need for the printing to be on the label.

The books I mentioned, have very little absolute value ... yet ... but I am speculating on that changing; thus my need/desire for the printing to be stated on the label for these books that most folks today wouldn't blink at.
Post 3 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 Makes sense. That part I can't answer. Maybe @sborock can chime in and provide an answer.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
ALL books, when the graders CAN identify printing, get the printing on the labels. The problem is when they don’t know that multiple printings exist. Value is irrelevant, it’s simply that they exist.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano0521
ALL books, when the graders CAN identify printing, get the printing on the labels. The problem is when they don’t know that multiple printings exist. Value is irrelevant, it’s simply that they exist.

Thank you. Anyway for us (the consumer) to alert that there are multiple printings? Maybe with the submission form?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
You might be able to, using the “variant” indicator; i’ve not tried that (yet).
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector helsabot private msg quote post Address this user
As a manga comic hunter myself I can say I’ve seen the subsequent printings listed on the slab. I think you can request to have that info included. All the first printings I have slabs of do not say 1st, but since I submitted I know they are all 1st.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by helsabot
As a manga comic hunter myself I can say I’ve seen the subsequent printings listed on the slab. I think you can request to have that info included. All the first printings I have slabs of do not say 1st, but since I submitted I know they are all 1st.

Thank you. This helps. I may hold off submission until my research brings me to at least one piece of evidence demonstrating it will be identified accordingly.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
FYI I haven't had this situation before but when I have had multiple printings I always put it in the variant submission box and it has made it to the label for me
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, CBCS distinguishes between printings. The first print will not have a notation but subsequent prints will, assuming a printing can be identified. In the Mad Love Case below, the second one is now referred to as the Prestige Edition

Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyb86
FYI I haven't had this situation before but when I have had multiple printings I always put it in the variant submission box and it has made it to the label for me

Thank you. So you've actually put "1st Print" in the variant section of the submission form and 1st print showed up on the label when you received the slab?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
I should clarify I haven’t had it for first prints as I think it’s generally assumed that a copy is a first print unless otherwise specified but I have two instances where I have a second print and 5th printing notation.
Post 13 IP   flag post
600839 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?