Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Star Wars High Republic “Timeline” Variant?14031

Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone else ripping the covers off their comics and sending them in to CGC for grading as a “rare” variant?

Star Wars The High Republic #1 time line variant CGC 9.8 white pages

Last week it was counterfeit ashcans....now it’s cover less comics. CGC lacking in the QC lately..

🤣
Post 1 IP   flag post

So.....tempting.....!
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
"Poor Quality attracts more of it"
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
The guy at least updated the description today.

On Mar-01-21 at 13:00:54 PST, seller added the following information:
After some collectors assisted, it appears this is actually a 9.8 reject because it’s Coverless (not a store promo or variant) that was mistakenly encapsulated by CGC in error. Thus it’s a CGC 1/1 error rather than an official variant of High Republic 1. I will welcome any bid cancellation however, I will not accept a return on this item.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Ouch, I remember in my earlier years on my job I would sometimes make mistakes that I didn't even know could be made until after I made them. One of those "you don't know what you don't know until after you needed to know it" scenarios. I feel like that's the trap the grader got caught in.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Darthmauler private msg quote post Address this user
It just sucks to see what depths people will go to make a buck these days. This is one reason I got out of the diecast game. Too many people doing shady things. Also I can't believe CGC even graded it as a 9.8 now thats some shit right there.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexMuff
The guy at least updated the description today.

On Mar-01-21 at 13:00:54 PST, seller added the following information:
After some collectors assisted, it appears this is actually a 9.8 reject because it’s Coverless (not a store promo or variant) that was mistakenly encapsulated by CGC in error. Thus it’s a CGC 1/1 error rather than an official variant of High Republic 1. I will welcome any bid cancellation however, I will not accept a return on this item.

But the listing title is then misleading as it still calls it a variant.

The right thing to do would be to end the auction and start over.

He was called out and is back tracking.

My guess is he pushed it through same day grading and took advantage of some poor quality control...he knew exactly what he was doing.

Timeline variant?? Really? Where did he find that title/description? It’s not on the label...
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I accept people making mistakes.
That is what we do as humans and it is to be expected.

What is not to be expected and is unacceptable is when a business continues operating without putting checks and balances in place to ensure mistakes & poor quality are caught or significantly mitigated to their consumer market.

If CGC was in a competitive market with multiple corporations jockying for your business and providing similar services, they'd be gone, done, closed, fini. The problem is there is very little competition and they are left to operate without impunity, loss of sales, loss of market share, etc.. The worst they get is a few forum strings of "look at this mess; I can't believe .......".

Few are stopping using them. The few who have had it up to their eyeballs are just that... only a few.
So around and around we go. There will be more mistakes; more poor quality and delivered product. More product one can't trust. And in the end - the majority of hobbyists will continue using and giving excuses of "it's all subjective" and "buy the book not the grade". Excuses hobbyists create for them to lessen the pain of poor delivered product.

And as for the seller of this frankenstarwars ... I won't even go there. It's not fit for print
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
At least that Wolverine #50 CBCS 9.8 that keeps popping up had most of it's cover.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
But the listing title is then misleading as it still calls it a variant.

The right thing to do would be to end the auction and start over.

I hope this one sale is worth risking his reputation over.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
with 19 bids moving it to 305 dollars he either needs to redo the sale or face a firestorm of cancelled bids, followed by a negative feedback and forced return
Post 11 IP   flag post
Anyone know if this has been mentioned on the CGC boards? I would think they might want to buy the book and get it off the market.
Post 12 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I accept people making mistakes.
That is what we do as humans and it is to be expected.

What is not to be expected and is unacceptable is when a business continues operating without putting checks and balances in place to ensure mistakes & poor quality are caught or significantly mitigated to their consumer market.

If CGC was in a competitive market with multiple corporations jockying for your business and providing similar services, they'd be gone, done, closed, fini. The problem is there is very little competition and they are left to operate without impunity, loss of sales, loss of market share, etc.. The worst they get is a few forum strings of "look at this mess; I can't believe .......".

Few are stopping using them. The few who have had it up to their eyeballs are just that... only a few.
So around and around we go. There will be more mistakes; more poor quality and delivered product. More product one can't trust. And in the end - the majority of hobbyists will continue using and giving excuses of "it's all subjective" and "buy the book not the grade". Excuses hobbyists create for them to lessen the pain of poor delivered product.

And as for the seller of this frankenstarwars ... I won't even go there. It's not fit for print

wot
Post 13 IP   flag post
601206 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?