Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Oldest comic store in the country13989

Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user
This was brought up in another thread and I thought it might be an interesting thread - What is the oldest, continuosly operated comic book store in the country? (Or World?) Kansas City has a store called Clint's Comics that opened in 1967. Does anybody know of an older store?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector bizy private msg quote post Address this user
clickable text
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnied
This was brought up in another thread and I thought it might be an interesting thread - What is the oldest, continuosly operated comic book store in the country? (Or World?) Kansas City has a store called Clint's Comics that opened in 1967. Does anybody know of an older store?

10 oldest maybe!

I was just looking up all I could think of, but they're all closed except one.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
Clint’s was the store I grew up going to. Great shop. They had ads in almost all the Marvel comics in the 70s. Here’s one from the Spider-Man 101 facsimile.

Their later ads have Spider-Man on each side. Those were the first ones I saw.

Imagine my delight when I realized it was practically next door to my school! Perfect for after school visits.

Jim Cavanaugh, who bought the place from Clint Murray, sadly died while trying to prevent a robbery back on 2017: https://www.thepitchkc.com/jim-cavanaugh-owner-of-clints-comics-has-died-following-an-altercation-outside-his-midtown-store/

His daughter is running the place now.

Clint’s father had a newsstand and that’s what the comic business grew out of.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t know about in DFW area. Lone star was one of the bigger ones but they are gone now.

The Duncanville comic shop has been around for awhile, but I don’t think it’s before the 80s.

I miss a lot of my old stores, but I think I have more choices now than ever before.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user
@bizy - 1961! That is way back there! I'd be curious about what the date was for the transition from a bookstore that had a comic section, to the time it became a comic store. But regardless, that was before the popular start of comic collecting (?).
Post 6 IP   flag post
617476 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?