Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Let's talk music thread...13986

Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Because we blew up Poka's thread, it appears we like to talk music!

Let's continue our Metallica vs. Megadeth conversation.

Best Metallica albums? For me It's MoP, RTL, Justice, Kill Em All...then the rest....

Megadeth: Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction, Peace Sells, So Far, and then the rest...

Thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I like Metallica's black album too. I remember when it came it was very divisive between Metallica fans. I liked it when it came and had arguments with friends about it lol. It's a great heavy rock album, quite different from their previous records.
Post 2 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
I was 12 years old and listened to it coming from the back of a Geo tracker.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Jabberwookie I just missed it. Just put my 2 cents in on the other thread. Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I like Metallica's black album too. I remember when it came it was very divisive between Metallica fans. I liked it when it came and had arguments with friends about it lol. It's a great heavy rock album, quite different from their previous records.
Black was OK and definitely better than St.Anger.
Post 4 IP   flag post
For Metallica, I liked Death Magnetic the most of all their "newer stuff"

Megadeth would be Dystopia.
Post 5 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

A typical argument between me and any "true" Metallica fan...

"True" fan: I stopped liking Metallica when they released the Black album.

Me: So you're a true fan because you're no longer a fan.

True fan: Yeah, because that's when they sold out and started to suck.

Me: I liked the Black album, and the albums after it. As a matter of fact, I still like Metallica.

True fan: Yeah, that's why you're not a true fan.

Me: Yeah, I suppose there are true Beatles fans who stopped liking them when they released Rubber Soul.

True fan: *blink*
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
So is this strictly a Metallica vs Megadeth thread?.... even though the thread title is "Music Thread".
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t know enough Megadeath to have a favorite record. ‘Capital Punishment’ was a great compilation spanning their career, though.

I like them, but (and I’m not knocking them) I find their music kind of all sounds the same. I think it’s just Dave’s voice.

‘Puppets’ is my favorite Metallica album by far.
Post 8 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Me: I liked the Black album, and the albums after it. As a matter of fact, I still like Metallica.

Me: Yeah, I suppose there are true Beatles fans who stopped liking them when they released Rubber Soul.

lol!! The sellout arguement made me chuckle a bit. I get what they mean if they meant a slightly softer sound but isn't the real sellout playing it safe by releasing an album that's just like the previously successful album? AJFA sold 4 million records when the black album was released...an arguement could be made that releasing a very different sounding record (softer or not) was a huge gamble.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
So is this strictly a Metallica vs Megadeth thread?.... even though the thread title is "Music Thread".
No. What bands or type of music you like?
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Rush, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin,... Metallica and Megadeth can't even touch those 3 bands.
Post 11 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I've never really been a Megadeath fan so I don't know much about their albums. Now, if we were taking Iron Maiden then I'd be able to contribute. 🙂

My favorite Metallica album is "Ride the Lightning" although I never thought that "Fight Fire With Fire" fit in with the rest of the songs. "Kill Em All" or "Master of Puppets" is next. It depends on my mood when I'm asked as to which I select.
Post 12 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
And the black album just got overplayed. The songs on the album are good songs but they just got played over and over and over.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Back in the day, you could COUNT on some Megadeth fan whining about Metallica being a sell out. I always countered with "money talks, bs walks". LOL Like I said in the other thread, I liked Metallica better, but I still liked Megadeth.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Rush, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin,... Metallica and Megadeth can't even touch those 3 bands.

I love Metallica and Megadeth, but I don't even think either could make it into my top 20.

And if we're taking a tally, I'll take Metallica over Megadeth all day long and twice on Sunday.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Also, for me, Metallica's RTL and MOP will always rule!! Now for the unpopular opinion. I like Load, Reload and Garage,Inc.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
And the black album just got overplayed. The songs on the album are good songs but they just got played over and over and over.

I may have worn the grooves off of a vinyl copy of it myself. 😂
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
I am also a huge Rush and Led Zeppelin fan.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Also, for me, Metallica's RTL and MOP will always rule!! Now for the unpopular opinion. I like Load, Reload and Garage,Inc.

I agree, but their post-black album arsenal is far from flawless. Unforgiven III comes immediately to mind.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Here's a good question, if you could only go through life with 5 albums, which ones would they be? I always found that to be a great opening line in a bar. I'll have to rethink my answer. My tastes have changed a bit in the last 18 years!!! LOL
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Here's a good question, if you could only go through life with 5 albums, which ones would they be? I always found that to be a great opening line in a bar. I'll have to rethink my answer. My tastes have changed a bit in the last 18 years!!! LOL

Abbey Road
News of the World
Oh No! It's Devo!
And...
AIC Tripod

Probably. That's without thinking much about it.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Yeah, I already have issues with my list. No Chris Cornell on it. I just don't know what I'd remove.

I'm just going to have to have 6. 😂

#6 Superunknown
Post 22 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O Great question. My taste has changed over time. It would be hard to name 5 but for today here they are:

Bob Seger: Live Bullet
Rush: Exit Stage Left
Led Zeppelin: How the West was Won
Steely Dan: Can't Buy a Thrill
Iron Maiden: Powerslave

By tomorrow it would probably change though.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I'm too ashamed to say in public. Especially in a thread about Metal bands.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O That's tough. I'd want five albums that are very different so that I could change sounds based on my mood. If you asked me tomorrow this could charge but right now:

Iron Maiden: Number of the Beast
Steely Dan: Aja
Neil Young: Harvest
Johnny Cash: At Folsom Prison
One of Ray Charles' Atlantic Records albums (not sure which)
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:

Appetite For Destruction
Nevermind The Bullocks
Led Zeppelin 4
Exile On Main St.
Tool Lateralus
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Top 5 albums? Off the top of my head:

Deftones - Diamond Eyes
Van Halen - Van Halen
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Incubus - Morning View
A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms

Honorable mentions:
Sting - Ten Summoner’s Tales
Björk - Post
Blink-182 - Take Off . . .
Glass Jaw - Worship & Tribute
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Appetite For Destruction
Nevermind The Bullocks
Led Zeppelin 4
Exile On Main St.
Tool Lateralus

...but yeah,...so many missing...can't pick just 5.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:

That's a great question. But like you said, My tastes have changed a bit in the last 18 years! And so have mine.

As we mature and evolve, our top 5 today may not even be on the same list a year from now.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I'm like @DWeeB1967, I want variety in my music to suite my mood. These are the 5 that I would choose today, in no particular order. And I kinda cheated and picked some "best of" sets. But, I figure I posed the question, I can alter the rules!!! LOL

Pink Floyd The Wall. That one will NEVER leave my list!!
Times makin' changes - the best of Tesla.
Timespace: the best of Stevie Nicks.
The best of Black Sabbath (2000)
Red, white and Crue.

I'd love to do a Tesla mixed cd, but that's definitely "altering" the rules too much. I had to choose between Queen and Sabbath, but I'd love some Freddie in there!!!

And The Wall is the perfect album in my mind.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601340 91 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?