Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Good comic shops in Ok and Kansas13982

Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Hey, everyone!

I’m traveling from DFW to Wichita, KS at the end of March.

Does anyone have any recommendations of good comic shops to check out along the way?

Thanks in advance!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
Darkseid would probably know. I think that’s his neck of the woods.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Morgd120 private msg quote post Address this user
Heroes in Stillwater Ok, and New World in Okc Ok.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Tolen private msg quote post Address this user
If you want to visit what is arguably the oldest comic book shop in the country, continually running, I want to say it opened in '76, check out Comic Empire, in Tulsa. I know Mike just sold it to a regular, I want to say 4-6 months ago, but still a great place to purchase comics. Impulse Creations has their brick and mortar store in Tulsa as well. There are Mammoth, Shadow Mountain, and World of Comics. I have not been to them in years so I can not be vouch for them.

It has always surprised me how many comic stores are in a city the size of Tulsa, and can survive.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolen
If you want to visit what is arguably the oldest comic book shop in the country, continually running, I want to say it opened in '76, check out Comic Empire, in Tulsa. I know Mike just sold it to a regular, I want to say 4-6 months ago, but still a great place to purchase comics.

I used to live in Tulsa and have done business with Comic Empire (buying). In 2008 I needed a few extra $$$ because I was moving to Dallas. I brought two books to Mike/Comic Empire to sell....

Amazing Spider-Man #3 / CGC 4.5 / 1st Doctor Octopus
Amazing Spider-Man #11 / CGC 3.5 / 2nd Doctor Octopus

Mike refused to buy them unless I personally cracked them out of their slabs (in his presence) so he could grade them, and then he would offer me a price. It became acutely transparent he was going to lowball me. I walked out and sold the books to another dealer with no complications.

Mike told me that he used to work for Buddy,... MCS/Lonestar

Hopefully the new owner of CE has a bit more common sense.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Mike refused to buy them unless I personally cracked them out of their slabs (in his presence) so he could grade them, and then he would offer me a price. It became acutely transparent he was going to lowball me. I walked out and sold the books to another dealer with no complications

@Pre_Coder If you had taken the bait and cracked them he would have had significant negotiating leverage over you. It would have made you look desperate.

I took 20 books recently to my LCS, the books are listed in our MCS thread. It was weird. I let him take them home to grade and value them. When I checked back a couple days later, he had forgotten to take his Overstreet Price Guide with him. I told him there were more current options than Overstreet available for valuing books, and that Overstreet values became dated immediately. He insisted he would only use Overstreet. The warning signs were all there. A week later I finally got my books back home and sent them Raw to MCS where most of them have sold...and the sales amount so far is more than 3X the store credit that the LCS offered me.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Mike refused to buy them unless I personally cracked them out of their slabs (in his presence) so he could grade them, and then he would offer me a price. It became acutely transparent he was going to lowball me. I walked out and sold the books to another dealer with no complications

@Pre_Coder If you had taken the bait and cracked them he would have had significant negotiating leverage over you. It would have made you look desperate.

Oh, of course. I did semi-need the money, but I wasn't desperate, and I still made the transition.

I simply told him I'll take the books elsewhere and sell them. And he's like,.. okay.

His arrogance overruled logic!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Donnied private msg quote post Address this user
@Tolen - This might be an interesting thread to start. Clint's Comics in Kansas City, MO has been open since 1967! Anybody know of an older one?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnied
@Tolen - This might be an interesting thread to start. Clint's Comics in Kansas City, MO has been open since 1967! Anybody know of an older one?

That would be a good thread!

There are definitely stores that have been operating continuously since the 60s/early 70s.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
When my friend was in the Air Force, he travelled around a lot. He made a stop in Wichita and liked Prairie Dog Comics. Bought a few slabs from them. This was about 5 years ago.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
In wichita Kansas the only real comic book store to speak of is owned by Marc Brown and is in fact as Dudley stated, called Prairie Dog Comics......it has moved from one location to another and closed its east store but its the same store that I bought most of my original collection from back in the mid and late eighties. the owner lets others handle the store often while he is out, and what not, but the he does have alot of books and has been at it a long time. I get all my new books from there, via a friend who picks them up for me. If you plan to visit the store, message me and get my real name....should knock a few bucks off your final total if you mention it given the number of his kids I likely put through college over the years off my collecting spending
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector profade private msg quote post Address this user
I live in Choctaw, OK a suburb of Oklahoma City.
All Star Comics 12325 N May Ave, Ste 113, Oklahoma City, OK
and
Deadlift Collectibles 328 S Kelly Ave Edmond, OK
Are couple of great shops for keys and back issues.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks, everyone! I'll have to try and hit a few of these on the way

@Darkseid_of_town I'll be up there for a couple of days for a bowling tournament, I'll shoot you a message and if you would like, we could meet at the shop.

It would be nice to meet a fellow boardie!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector iggykoopa30 private msg quote post Address this user
Deadlift Collectibles for sure. If you go to New World make sure you got to the location off of 63rd street. There's apparently another one with the same name that caters more to tabletop gaming. It's on 29th street.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
I vouch for Praire Dog comics. I have family in Wichita and I have visited their store on the West side. Great people
Post 15 IP   flag post
597988 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?