Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector daredevilart private msg quote post Address this user
Clearly CBCS is light years ahead of CGC when it comes to graders notes, but when it comes to 9.8 books there's still usually nothing. Given that there are still two grades above 9.8 (regardless of their rarity), shouldn't 9.8 books have notes indicating what kept them from the ultimate grade?
Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
No. Silly rabbit, notes are for graders.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@daredevilart

I think you just asked a mouthful.

I know there are 9.9 and 10.0 grades, but for the most part 9.8 is the top grade, so I’d guess there are no notes.

However, I’ve always wondered what takes a 9.8 to those higher grades?

Is it especially cleaner? Corners more sharp?

I’m hoping one of our graders chimes in here.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
The defect on a 9.8 is usually obvious, like a slightly soft corner. But I agree, there has to be some kind of flaw to keep it from getting a higher grade. Might as well drop that in the notes.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterEaterLad
The defect on a 9.8 is usually obvious, like a slightly soft corner. But I agree, there has to be some kind of flaw to keep it from getting a higher grade. Might as well drop that in the notes.

That’s good to know.

I’ve always wondered and figured it was just a crapshoot at those grades.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, I believe the 9.8 vs. 9.9/10.0 concept was created to keep the slab community customer base intensified, excited, and further embedded into the whole higher number lottery concept.

When was the last time humans can control their lottery urges?
Companies count on our basest inner failings to capitalize and keep the interest level high.
I give them the highest credit for recognizing that.

Brand new Trading cards can grade out at 10 PSA reasonably routinely, but new comics can only top out at 9.8 routinely?

I know I know - The experts truly can tell the difference. I stand corrected
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Personally, I believe the 9.8 vs. 9.9/10.0 concept was created to keep the slab community customer base intensified, excited, and further embedded into the whole higher number lottery concept.

When was the last time humans can control their lottery urges?
Companies count on our basest inner failings to capitalize and keep the interest level high.
I give them the highest credit for recognizing that.

Brand new Trading cards can grade out at 10 PSA reasonably routinely, but new comics can only top out at 9.8 routinely?

I know I know - The experts truly can tell the difference. I stand corrected

You articulated perfectly what I was trying to work through in my own head.

Now if I can ever get 10.0, I’ll be rap star rich....
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector monjoody private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
However, I’ve always wondered what takes a 9.8 to those higher grades?

Is it especially cleaner? Corners more sharp?

I’m hoping one of our graders chimes in here.

Maybe that's a better way of approaching this? As in, the 9.8 is the "mint standard" with no notes, but the 9.9 and 10.0 are the exemplary examples, and as such have notes to explain WHY.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Grader's notes are not for the benefit of the consumer. They are for the benefit of the graders. They are a byproduct of the grading process. At least with CBCS, they are free for anyone to access.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Grader's notes are not for the benefit of the consumer. They are for the benefit of the graders. They are a byproduct of the grading process. At least with CBCS, they are free for anyone to access.

While I understand your point, the way that CBCS is marketing the grading notes on their front page makes it very clear they’re offering them as a benefit to the customer.

Your Books. Your Grades.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@monjoody it’s a benefit in that you can view them for free.

9.8s have nothing to notate.

My theory on 9.9/10s being “exemplary” is comics achieve this grade with the absence of unavoidable production defects like bindery tears or the breaks in color on the spine edge made when it’s folded. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Post 11 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Some of my CBCS 9.8’s have had notes, but as it is the mint standard, i am fine without notes.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
IMO, 9.9 and 10's are just lotteries to keep people coming back for grades. If something isn't a 10, there should absolutely be notes describing why it isn't. It should be easy. "it's not perfect, here's why..."

Something has to be keeping from that perfect condition, so it's very reasonable to want to know what that something is.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmmm.... Now i don't know if I just have "bad" 9.8 books or what but I have 6 that I found grader notes on so far

tiny bend near spine front cover
thin bends along top edge
tiny spine stress breaks color
tiny wear top & bottom spine
tiny surface wear top edge back cover
tiny wear top & bottom spine
Post 14 IP   flag post
Notes are just that, notes. They are the Cliff Notes version of why your book received the grade it received. Stuff gets left out. The story isn't always complete, especially if its obvious to the graders. They are a side benefit and not a requirement. In layman's terms, the promotion of or selling of grader's note is an example of turning chicken shit into chicken salad.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I'm just a salesman always trying to spin everything into a positive for what I'm selling. So I liked getting 9.8's without grader notes when I sold on Ebay . I would put in the title "9.8 NO GRADER NOTES!!".
It's ok to laugh.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry88
IMO, 9.9 and 10's are just lotteries to keep people coming back for grades.

I believe they are made up grades as well, used for Marketing and creating a Lottery mentality to keep people "Chasing the brass Ring"
Post 17 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry88
IMO, 9.9 and 10's are just lotteries to keep people coming back for grades.

I believe they are made up grades as well, used for Marketing and creating a Lottery mentality to keep people "Chasing the brass Ring"

Let's not forget also that 9.9 and 10's could be valuable rewards for high-volume loyal submitters. I'm not casting these assertions at CBCS...I have less faith in CGC.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Let's not forget also that 9.9 and 10's could be valuable rewards for high-volume loyal submitters. I'm not casting these assertions at CBCS...I have less faith in CGC.

That's one of those things that, if it was ever proven, could destroy a company's reputation.
Post 19 IP   flag post
601535 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?