Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Want to Buy

WTB: Complete set of Amalgam, DC vs Marvel, All Access, Unlimited Access13966

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Hey guys, I’ve got a craving for a new custom binding project and I’ve settled on collecting the DC vs Marvel/Amalgam Comics event since I don’t see Marvel or DC releasing their own omnibus anytime soon. I’ve purchased most of the trades but they seem to be a bit expensive and I’m not too keen on tearing them up for this project so I thought I’d go for the original issues.

There is an auction for a full run of Amalgam comics but I thought I’d check in on the boards first in case anyone here could help.

I’m currently looking for:

DC Vs Marvel Preview
DC vs Marvel 1-4

Amazon #1
Assassins #1
Doctor StrangeFate #1
JLX #1
Legends of the Dark Claw #1
Super-Soldier #1
Bruce Wayne: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1
Bullets and Bracelets #1
Magneto and the Magnetic Men #1
Speed Demon #1
Spider-Boy #1
X-Patrol #1
Bat-Thing #1
Dark Claw Adventures #1
Generation Hex #1
JLX Unleashed #1
Lobo the Duck #1
Super-Soldier: Man of War #1
Challengers of the Fantastic #1
The Exciting X-Patrol #1
Iron Lantern #1
The Magnetic Men featuring Magneto #1
Spider-Boy Team-Up #1
Thorion of the New Asgods #1

DC/Marvel: All-Access #1-#4
Unlimited Access #1-#4
Post 1 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I really like this idea. Would love to see the results. Unfortunately i only have a few issues and no duplicates to spare.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
I have 3 of those. Magento & the Magnetic Men, Exciting X-Patrol & Magnetic Men featuring Magneto. I'll send you a PM.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Lonestar Thanks so much for the offer! I replied to your DM

@Joosh I’ve done a few custom binds in the past. Some were customized collections as gifts, some were completing runs in hardcover, and some were basically custom omnibuses

Post 4 IP   flag post
Oh! I wasn’t aware that DC and Marvel had a couple of follow-up mini-series that I’m going to include as well:

Unlimited Access #1-#4

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector bluemeenie private msg quote post Address this user
do you bind the books yourself or do you send them to someone to do this?

I would love to go and get a number of old "not worth slabbing/protecting" books for some of the Silver age comics and do this.

I mean the huge omnibuses that Marvel puts out are nice....but mostly oversized (can't fit on a book shelf) and cost like 90-180 dollars depending on the series and length.

unless you go for the paperback mini-buses which I hate.

I'd love to be able to collect like you are and then put them in a nice hard copy. (the covers look like scans right?)
Post 6 IP   flag post
I’ve gone to Houchen Bindery to bind my books. They have a good set of options and the price isn’t bad. They changed their pricing, implemented minimum orders, and guy that handled comic binding has left since I did my last book so hopefully the quality and service is still good.

The covers are mostly processed scans though I’ve done sone design work and layouts on some of them. Houchen does offer some design options if you’re so inclined but I haven’t used them.

I love oversized books like omnibuses or absolute editions but there is a lot of material that probably isn’t popular enough or is too popular to be collected with similar works. Marvel vs DC/Amalgam/Access just seems like a big hurdle to see collected again in its entirety, so it seems like a good project. I’ve often thought of buying lots of coverless comics and binding them.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Okay, I got all the Amalgam books in an auction so now I’m just looking for the mini-series:

DC Vs Marvel Preview
DC vs Marvel 1-4
Unlimited Access #1-#4
Post 8 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I had a set of DC vs Marvel sitting around at some point. I'll check tonight.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley Awesome! Thank you! Let me know and we’ll see what we can work out
Post 10 IP   flag post
I’m now adding Green Lantern/Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances to my WTB list as it serves as a lead-in to the Marvel Versus DC crossover

I got the 24 Amalgam issues in the mail today so I’m about halfway through my list!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thank you @Studley_Dudley! A set of Marvel vs DC 1-4 is now on its way! That just leaves the following books

DC Vs Marvel Preview
Unlimited Access #1-#4
Green Lantern/Silver Surfer
Post 12 IP   flag post
It’s pay day and there’s an ebay bucks promo going on so I’ve made some purchases. Now I just Need:

Marvel vs DC Preview
Unlimited Access #3

I also have 3 of the 4 Amalgam trades and I want to get the last one so I can include all the forwards/afterwards from them in the omnibus. Depending on how the pricing shakes down, I may do it as two volumes:

Vol 1

Green Lantern/Silver Surfer
Marvel vs DC Preview
Marvel vs DC #1-4
first 12 Amalgam issues

Vol 2
Second 12 Amalgam issues
All Access #1-4
Unlimited Access #1-4
Post 13 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite I just checked Mycomicshop.com and they have almost everything you need in stock from $2-4ea, but the green lantern/silver surfer is $10.50 though. Just missing both issue #4’s.
Shipping is $5 regardless of purchase, not a bad deal.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Joosh Thanks! I had checked out MyComicsShop. I’ll probably be buying the last two issues I need from them
Post 15 IP   flag post
Well, looks like Green Lantern/Silver Surfer is back on the list. Buyer said they couldn’t find the book -_- Second time this has happened to me in the past month or so. MCS has one for about $12 and prices elsewhere don’t seem much better.

I also contacted the bindery and their options for foil stamping are pretty limited and I don’t feel like paying to have new stamps manufactured just for the bindery to keep them. So I guess I’ll be going with a graphic cover on the book plus the dust jacket. I’m still not sure if I’ll split the book into two volumes or just do one massive omnibus-style book.

I’ll probably print out some additional pages like a table of contents, the forwards/afterwards from the trades, and whatever material I might find to add. Does anyone happen to know the weight of the paper normally used on modern glossy comics? I’d rather the sheets match up to the rest of the book as much as possible.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Okay, I’ve decided to at least collect issue one of Marvel vs DC for myself. I got the newsstand edition from @Studley_Dudley and I just closed an offer on ebay for the second print. I just need one direct edition for my collection and one of any other version for the binding project
Post 17 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Almagam was a fun crossover series to read. Darkclaw looks freaking awesome. This was the real mashup and not like all the bs mashups they got now.

I remember when Bruce threw a batarang at Al Simon’s face and he stitched it by using a shoe lace. And the cool thing about that is, Todd kept the shoelace in his regular series for few issues forward.

Those were the good days.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Enelson private msg quote post Address this user
I think it looks like you found most of these- but I have all of the amalgram. books- or at least I think I do. Lmk if you are issing any after your ebay auctions
Post 19 IP   flag post
@JustThatGuy I want to collect them in an omnibus of sorts because it’s such a unique event; both Amalgam and Marvel vs DC. It’s hard to imagine either of those happening again anytime soon, and its even more unlikely that we’d see an official omnibus release. In case you weren’t aware, more Amalgam characters appeared in the follow-up All-Access/Unlimited Access mini-series, though not in standalone stories

@Enelson Yeah, I got all the Amalgam issues and I’m just missing one Unlimited Access and the Marvel vs DC preview (both of which I have in my MCS cart just waiting for my stimulus payment).

Other than those and the two copies of Marvel vs DC #1, I need Green Lantern/Silver Surfer
Post 20 IP   flag post
My bank account was “stimulated” today so I pulled the trigger on my MCS order so Green Lantern/Silver Surfer, Marvel vs DC Preview, and Unlimited Access #3 have been ordered.

Now all I need are my copies of Marvel vs DC #1!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Dangit, came across another variant of issue #1 (and the whole series, actually) which I immediately scooped up. So there are the direct and newsstand editions, the second print version with the blank barcode box, and then a version with the "DC Universe" logo in the barcode box 😫
Post 22 IP   flag post
Okay, I was able to purchase a Marvel vs DC set for $10 from the Comic Collector Live Marketplace. I used to use CCL for keeping track of my comics but they went to a subscription based model so I had to find another bit of software to do the job (CLZ). The marketplace portion is a good place for back issues though keys are picked off quickly or sold elsewhere, I imagine. Shipping was $8 (still cheaper than any ebay listing I could find) so I threw in a couple more books from my wishlist to ease the burden a bit but I should be just about ready to get my custom bind in gear. I’d still like to get a copy of the Marvel vs DC preview for my personal collection but that can wait a bit
Post 23 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite this gives me goosebumps every time. I got my copy signed by George when he was in Dallas a few years back. I still remember that day because my dumb@$$ was wearing shorts and it was freaking cold.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@JustThatGuy Show us the remark!
Post 25 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite oh it’s not mine. I am at work. Lol sorry I just have about 8-10 George’s sketches.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite I just got rid of a bunch of those Amalgam books. I'll see if I have any more left in my box-o-stuff that I'm getting rid of if you're still looking.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@Puckster Let me know what you find, I might be interested in a few for my personal collection.

Thank you!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Okay, got some packages today and there’s some good news and bad news. The bad news is that I’m still missing a direct edition of Marvel vs DC #1 for my personal collection. The good news is that I otherwise have a #1-4 set for myself, in addition to having a set for my custom bind.

On the medium news, I now want to add parts of Marvel Vision #1,3,16, and 17 for their articles on Marvel vs DC and Amalgam. Anyone know if DC had anything comparable that covered the series?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Does anyone know if Overstreet’s Fan magazine have standard magazine dimensions or if it is comic book sized? Looks like at least 3 issues covered the Marvel vs DC/Amalgam event

I’m also looking for issues of Previews and Wizard that covered Marvel vs DC or Amalgam, though if there is an internet archive, that should be fine since I’d have to transcribe and reformat them to fit the standard comic size
Post 30 IP   flag post
601338 38 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?