Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ok, this speculation has gone beyond ridiculous!!!13953

Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte

Honestly, watching the marvel comics go insane has moved me toward picking up DC silver age books.

If they are going to be neglected, I’ll gladly take advantage.
Post 126 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Jabberwookie

I am not well versed in DC keys, but this book has been one I've wanted for awhile. I just never came across the right grade / price combo that worked.
Post 127 IP   flag post
I’m not that versed in them, either and I’m not sure these will ever have the same value as most Marvel keys, but I’m a firm believer in the “hit ‘em where they ain’t” collector philosophy.

I just grabbed a mid/ low JLA 21 for a decent price.

If nothing else, this has helped me get those SA DC books, I’d never considered before.

Congrats on the book! Hopefully, you’ll post pics soon?
Post 128 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I choose the cheapest shipping so it might be awhile. Usps is kinda like a turtle. Slow and steady but eventually gets there...
Post 129 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia

I was actually looking at Grundy keys last week. The thing is Marvel > DC in terms of spec and popularity. I just watched an online auction, the seller had 1 DC book on his back wall. All Marvel keys were selling like hot cakes.
Post 130 IP   flag post

Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure if this has been shared yet but I had a laugh when I saw this on eBay. This “timeline variant” is actually a coverless copy of a limited exclusive of High Republic #1 that had all extra copies “destroyed” by having their covers removed (or at least that was my understanding). Apparently CGC didn’t get the memo

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/333905462203
Post 131 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I argue the speculation hasn’t gone on long enough. Next round of stimulus checks, bigger than ever, coming soon!
Post 132 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
In the ridiculous speculation dept: I recently looked at picking up a copy of Star Wars #68, as it was a February ‘83 Marvel that I didn’t own a copy of. I quickly changed my mind when I saw that copies were rapidly selling for $100 or more. Fortunately I have the trade collections, so I was able to read it along with my other Feb ‘83 books. In that issue, Leia and C3PO visit the planet Mandalore. Obviously this feeding frenzy is related to the Mandalorian TV show. I can’t help wondering just how many people are paying these insane prices because they actually want to buy and keep this comic and how many are purely speculating because of the Mandalorian. My money is on 99% speculators. If you have one of these, sell now! Eventually the TV show will end and this comic will fade back into obscurity.
Post 133 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp

I’m getting my SW 68 pressed and graded just to sell.

I think in 2 years, I can grab a copy for $20 or less.

Like you, I think this is temporary and I’ll profit off it.
Post 134 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
I’m not that versed in them, either and I’m not sure these will ever have the same value as most Marvel keys, but I’m a firm believer in the “hit ‘em where they ain’t” collector philosophy.

I just grabbed a mid/ low JLA 21 for a decent price.

If nothing else, this has helped me get those SA DC books, I’d never considered before.

I almost bid on that one, if it's the same one I saw, ending yesterday. I did bid on the JLA 29, 30 and 75, but I got outbid on all three. (I didn't try very hard to win, because I already have copies of 29 and 30).
Post 135 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid ha!

I always wonder often I’m bidding against fellow boardies.

Yeah, it’s got that detached centerfold, but for my current budget, I was okay with it.

I wanted that first appearance of The Key, but was waiting to see if I won a really nice copy of Avengers 19.

I did not.
Post 136 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@Jabberwookie

I am not well versed in DC keys, but this book has been one I've wanted for awhile. I just never came across the right grade / price combo that worked.

@Bronte Congrats. I have really enjoyed searching out and collecting a DC "rogues gallery" over the years (bad guys first appearances). It's given me a constant "want list" of books that I'm waiting to find slabbed at the right price or buying raw and hoping for a grade.
Some others to consider:
Flash 113
Flash 117
Flash 122
Flash 140
Justice League 12
Showcase 56
Batman 234

I had always wanted a Justice League 12 8.0 but never wanted to pay the slabbed price. I finally got one this latest submision by buying raw and slabbing:

Post 137 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia

Thank you for mentioning it. To be honest I never venture past ebay so I would never have seen tbe book.

I have a reslab of a book coming back soon. If I am able to sell it, I'll be looking for more advice on what to get to replace it..... =)
Post 138 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
West Coast Avengers #45 1st White Vision, also experiencing insane price increases!!

Post 139 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
@brysb I am sure I have at least one copy of this book, maybe more. Looks like it’s time to dig them out!
Post 140 IP   flag post
Continuing with depressed DC's: I just picked up a Flash 137 in 8.5. The book has had it's ups and downs, being the first Silver Age appearance of both Vandal Savage and Johnny Thunder. Right now it's down pretty good from the highs of the Flash TV series. An 8.0 sold on Ebay for $600 in 2019. I paid $385 for the 8.5 on MCS.
Post 141 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
@EbayMafia

I was actually looking at Grundy keys last week. The thing is Marvel > DC in terms of spec and popularity. I just watched an online auction, the seller had 1 DC book on his back wall. All Marvel keys were selling like hot cakes.

@moodswing When I was buying for speculation and resale, it was probably 75% Marvel for me. I'm guessing for the general speculator that number is now over 90% as Marvel seems to have a cohesive screen plan and DC's TV/Movie plan seems to be a free-for-all for the directors. But when I started buying books that I just want to own and display indefinitely...I think maybe the affordability of older DC books led me in that direction. But also for general display purposes I like the DC Silver Age covers better, they represent a simple time...what a comic book was to me when I was a kid.

Post 142 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
This rampant speculation/profiteering manages to make the hobby less fun for me. I won't be buying much (with the exception of one big purchase) until the bubble bursts/market corrects itself/everything crashes back down to earth. If the most meaningless of dreck becomes hot, then I have nothing to collect.
Post 143 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I won't be buying much (with the exception of one big purchase) until the bubble bursts/market corrects itself/everything crashes back down to earth

Nah man, you got to get out there and buy like crazy before the bubble takes it all!
Post 144 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
I won't be buying much (with the exception of one big purchase) until the bubble bursts/market corrects itself/everything crashes back down to earth

Nah man, you got to get out there and buy like crazy before the bubble takes it all!

Yes! Do your part to BURST that BUBBLE
Post 145 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
This rampant speculation/profiteering manages to make the hobby less fun for me. I won't be buying much (with the exception of one big purchase) until the bubble bursts/market corrects itself/everything crashes back down to earth. If the most meaningless of dreck becomes hot, then I have nothing to collect.

I am with you man. Just lost the fire to buy much, and to sell anything good now. They have gone from hobby to stock certificates.
I might just drop a cars worth on an AF15 and consider myself done.
Post 146 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia that Lois Lane #70 has been on my want list for a long, long time...just need to find a decent copy!!

anyone want Brave and the Bold 54's?? I have 1 at MCS right now (7.0) and another with CBCS that will also go to MCS..maybe 6??

Find it shocking how relatively cheap the first appearance of the Teen Titans is
Post 147 IP   flag post
Here is an interesting seller strategy that might be related to the current surge in prices. Found a book I wanted on ebay and was able to locate the seller on instagram. Seller said he wasn't interested in selling off of ebay. I said okay and moved on. At that time he had the book listed around $600. 3 months later the book still hasn't sold so he increases the price. Another month goes by and I just noticed he has the same book at 1800. Bold strategy lol.
Post 148 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
@EbayMafia that Lois Lane #70 has been on my want list for a long, long time...just need to find a decent copy!!

anyone want Brave and the Bold 54's?? I have 1 at MCS right now (7.0) and another with CBCS that will also go to MCS..maybe 6??

Find it shocking how relatively cheap the first appearance of the Teen Titans is

I might. Do you have the link?
Post 149 IP   flag post
Quote:

They put the Teen Titans series on HBO Max recently. I got about 3 episodes in before I quit. Unfortunately it was the opposite of fun and entertaining. Not enough liquor in the house to keep me watching. I should have realized that when Raven was the central character for episode one.
Post 150 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I put my bid in early on two comics at auction tonight, since the increments go up by $25-50 and I thought I might gain an advantage bidding early. I'll update this post with the final prices (not including tax)regardless if I win and hopefully get some opinions on my crazy speculation/getting caught up in the bubble choices.

Strike out on the 1st one: TMNT Adventures #1 CGC 9.6 Newsstand - Incorrectly labeled by CGC it's the Canadian $1.25 price variant but makes no mention, I thought I'd get it for a steal for the times.

Is this a single, double, triple, home run, or did I just get hit by a pitch?:

If it's a bad purchase I blame @ebaymafia, this is my second purchase I made since his post about what 1-3 items would you buy with $1500.
Post 151 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Ive bought two CBCS books over the last couple of days. Both were BINs with make an offer options. One came down $100 and the other $25 making both below GPA.
Post 152 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

They put the Teen Titans series on HBO Max recently. I got about 3 episodes in before I quit. Unfortunately it was the opposite of fun and entertaining. Not enough liquor in the house to keep me watching. I should have realized that when Raven was the central character for episode one.

I quite enjoyed it...I would recommend watching more than just the first 3 episodes, it gets much better.
Post 153 IP   flag post
As a collector, I find it rather disheartening that I can't find any books on my want list on ebay for close to fmv or even the price the last book sold at. Figured I would use the ebay bucks promotion to knock out another book from my want list. I have about 15 and I can't find one book for a decent price
Post 154 IP   flag post
Collector jcbruch private msg quote post Address this user
Try comiclink auctions. I never brought from there but if you are looking for older books, silver age or later they do have auctions.
Post 155 IP   flag post
601208 210 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?