Ok, this speculation has gone beyond ridiculous!!!13953

Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterEaterLad
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I just saw a 9.4 Star Wars #1 offered for $1,000! Can these prices stay at close to these levels for very long? I am seriously thinking about selling off my #1, #2, and #3 while the prices are Skywalker-high! What is everyone else doing with these red-hot books? And if you do sell them, what would you buy, since it seems like every key book has blown up over the last year?

I saw that too and did a double-take.

Right now I'm holding. I'm not sure these prices will be going down any time soon. It feels like the price manipulation that's been rampant in the fine art world for decades has finally reached the collecting world.

3-4 years ago I bought a few Star Wars #1 raw, in trying to get a 9.8, which was too expensive for me. I didn't have any luck. When I came across a very nice 9.6, about two and a half years ago, for $350, I bought it. It was a little over priced at the time, maybe, but I was happy about it.

When I saw that prices on all things Star Wars - even more so than the rest of the collecting universe - were sky-high, I sold it. It was on Facebook Marketplace back in January, for $1100. I was very happy with that amount and still am. I plowed it back into more comics, mostly to sell, so it's okay if it's even higher now. That's the game.

Yeah, if I had a 9.8, I'd sell it now. Even if not to buy more salable comics. It will come back down, after the pandemic. Not to where it was, but not this high, either.

We are seeing a once-a-generation surge in the comic market. Sometimes - even often - comics will languish at the same price for many years in a row. Even in this market, some have crested and come back down. Venom #3 topped out around $450 and is now 30% lower. Thor #2 and #5 have been cut down to a third of what they were. Others, too.

I expect there will be a general correction at some point. Part of the drive of any bubble is how easy it is to make money. Investments become less cautious and easy money plows in. Once a few go bad, that easy money pulls out, and it encourages more dumping, etc.

But for now, I am trying (and mostly failing) to stick to the old collecting adage: if the price is too high for you to buy it, then you should sell the one you have. The only thing sweeter than buying at the low, is selling at the high.

This.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I think most marketplaces work well 95% of the time, so I don't let myself worry beyond reasonable precautions about the 5% that don't.

@Tedsaid I agree in this case there is a consistent history of sales over $2,000 for 9.8's so I don't think this new high is anything out of the ordinary. Sometimes I will see a sale though that is so much more than anything else that it makes me wonder. Sometimes auction prices go well above available fixed price offerings. I see it more on Heritage than on Ebay though. The number of fraud/manipulation transactions may be small but I'm guessing the dollar amount of those types of transactions is exponentially greater than the 95% that are smooth.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
So. Does anyone have any thoughts on what to speculate on right now? I recently noticed in another thread that Peggy Carter as captain America is actually a book. Exiles #3. In another thread, there is a TV show coming out as a what if Peggy Carter became captain America. I bought 5 copies in hopes it gets some love....

Nothing printed after 1965.

Or better yet, nothing.

The market is wildly overheated, and that's not good for anybody.

Time to slow down.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Holy crap! $2800 for a 9.8! Man, that's amazing. I sold my 9.6 a year ago (January) for $385. I wonder what that would fetch now? (It cost me $155 raw, plus $35 or so for pressing and grading, so I did alright. But man, I wish I could get some of these back now.)

I feel like we are all getting the sense that something is not right with some of these public sales. Maybe even marketplace manipulation or 2 scammers bidding against each other, neither of which is actually going to pay with their own money. Is there any way of verifying that these sales were made to reputable buyers and they were completed successfully? Would we know if the sales were ultimately canceled or reported as fraud?

Honestly, I don't worry a whole lot about fake sales like you are describing. I think it would either be too much work for too little payout (by creating fake accounts that never pay, and are ultimately removed from the data); or too expensive to do often (due to the 10% commission of eBay).

Anyway, I assume other people worry about it more, and are in a better position to do something about it. I assume eBay generally get most shill bidders, eventually, and remove their accounts, etc. Maybe that is naive, but it is easier than stressing over it.

I think most marketplaces work well 95% of the time, so I don't let myself worry beyond reasonable precautions about the 5% that don't.

Shill bidding is easier than ever on eBay (alas), and eBay has no real problem with it; for every shill account they remove, a replacement pops up almost immediately.

eBay is serious about going after shill bidding like OJ wants to find the *real killer.*
Post 104 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Redmisty4me

You have a good point. I just packed a box of moderns to have graded. Maybe I can off load some of that stuff and get something silvery.....
Post 105 IP   flag post

Quote:
I'm not familiar with betting on black.

@Bronte lol, Black characters. Cyborg, Bishop, Falcon, Jason Rousch Firestorm...they're all black.
Post 106 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Ok. I guess I am as dense as it gets. I didn't see the common link. =(

And that's even after the wesley snipes quote too....
Post 107 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Tedsaid

I have 6 copies of 194 i pressed last year from when I bought them in like 2003.... fortunately 2 came out to 9.8
1 newsstand 1 direct.
I was hoping to hit 7 copies total, but that ship has apparently sailed.

Yeah, I keep forgetting how tough it is to get 9.8 on 40 and 50 year old comics.

You should sell them! And buy more raws with the money!
Post 108 IP   flag post
@Bronte Just for some perspective: Your ASM 194's in 9.8 are now selling for much more than this book from the 1940's. First appearance of Mary Marvel and the Marvel Family, both of which were briefly introduced at the end of the first Shazam movie. There are 147 CGC graded copies of this book total in existence. You won't see it very often at conventions. Something to consider for yourself which would give you more pleasure, owning 2 194's in 9.8 or owning 1 copy along with something like this.

Post 109 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia

I'm not a Shazam fan, but I hear your point and it's very valid.

I have a few other books I am debating selling that are comparable in value. After I sell them, perhaps if uou don't mind I could pick your brain and a few others on tbe forums and see what I can get with the profits.....
Post 110 IP   flag post
I haven't done the comparison math but does it appear that this speculation buying spree is creating an even greater divide between 9.8 and 9.6?
Post 111 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

@Bronte lol, Black characters. Cyborg, Bishop, Falcon, Jason Rousch Firestorm...they're all black.

I'd add the super-hot & (relatively) scarce Lobo, but even that is due for correction...
Post 112 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Bronte Just for some perspective: Your ASM 194's in 9.8 are now selling for much more than this book from the 1940's. First appearance of Mary Marvel and the Marvel Family, both of which were briefly introduced at the end of the first Shazam movie. There are 147 CGC graded copies of this book total in existence. You won't see it very often at conventions. Something to consider for yourself which would give you more pleasure, owning 2 194's in 9.8 or owning 1 copy along with something like this.

Excellent advice, and keep in mind that 147 copies, while a fair number for a GA book, is low for a Fawcett - the Marvel characters outsold pretty much everything but Disney!
Post 113 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmisty4me
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I just saw a 9.4 Star Wars #1 offered for $1,000! Can these prices stay at close to these levels for very long? I am seriously thinking about selling off my #1, #2, and #3 while the prices are Skywalker-high! What is everyone else doing with these red-hot books? And if you do sell them, what would you buy, since it seems like every key book has blown up over the last year?

I saw that too and did a double-take.

Right now I'm holding. I'm not sure these prices will be going down any time soon. It feels like the price manipulation that's been rampant in the fine art world for decades has finally reached the collecting world.

3-4 years ago I bought a few Star Wars #1 raw, in trying to get a 9.8, which was too expensive for me. I didn't have any luck. When I came across a very nice 9.6, about two and a half years ago, for $350, I bought it. It was a little over priced at the time, maybe, but I was happy about it.

When I saw that prices on all things Star Wars - even more so than the rest of the collecting universe - were sky-high, I sold it. It was on Facebook Marketplace back in January, for $1100. I was very happy with that amount and still am. I plowed it back into more comics, mostly to sell, so it's okay if it's even higher now. That's the game.

Yeah, if I had a 9.8, I'd sell it now. Even if not to buy more salable comics. It will come back down, after the pandemic. Not to where it was, but not this high, either.

We are seeing a once-a-generation surge in the comic market. Sometimes - even often - comics will languish at the same price for many years in a row. Even in this market, some have crested and come back down. Venom #3 topped out around $450 and is now 30% lower. Thor #2 and #5 have been cut down to a third of what they were. Others, too.

I expect there will be a general correction at some point. Part of the drive of any bubble is how easy it is to make money. Investments become less cautious and easy money plows in. Once a few go bad, that easy money pulls out, and it encourages more dumping, etc.

But for now, I am trying (and mostly failing) to stick to the old collecting adage: if the price is too high for you to buy it, then you should sell the one you have. The only thing sweeter than buying at the low, is selling at the high.

This.

A couple of the months ago when prices began skyrocketing I did think there was some kind of price manipulation happening, but a friend who sells collectible vinyl has seen his prices triple, and another friend who flips cars in the $30k-60k range has seen his sales go way up. And others have pointed out the insanity with sports cards right now.

The madness is everywhere.
Post 114 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Legion of Superheroes are waaaaaay undervalued.

Though I might be biased

I'm with you. If the desire existed, the right creative mind could put together an entire LSH Cinematic Universe. I've always thought that Lone Wolf/Timber Wolf had the most potential of all the Legion members...what say you @MatterEaterLad?

The Legion has the potential to be a wonderfully rich cinematic universe (Sci-fi like Guardians), or could be like X-Men: Last Stand, where they just throw a bunch of characters in without developing any of them or giving the audience a reason to care.

Someday... *stars wistfully at the horizon*
Post 115 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmisty4me
Quote:
Quote:

I'd add the super-hot & (relatively) scarce Lobo, but even that is due for correction...

Do you mean Omega Men #3? Has that gone up, too? Because I've never seen that one very expensive, actually.
Post 116 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't been watching this as closely as I probably should have, but aren't most of the crazy sales numbers on Ebay?

From what little I've seen on MCS, things look relatively normal.

Prices are high, but outside factors appear to be driving most of that.

I'm not suggesting that shill bidding is what is causing Ebay sales to go crazy (although it could be) but maybe more that you've got "new money" coming into comics (or all collectibles) and Ebay is the brand everyone knows as the "world's garage sale."

This reminds me of when I used to work in new accounts and people thought getting a brokerage account and putting $40 in it and these people thought it was the road to riches.

It's certainly a start, but I think the average layperson, thinks all old comics are valuable and probably don't understand things like condition, scarcity, key issues mattering.

Either way, I'm looking at it as a good time to unload some of the stuff I think doesn't have staying power. SW 68 is gone as soon as I get it back. Ditto for the first appearance of SWORD.

I'll take whatever profits I get from that and dump it into something Bronze or Silver Age.
Post 117 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
I haven't been watching this as closely as I probably should have, but aren't most of the crazy sales numbers on Ebay?

From what little I've seen on MCS, things look relatively normal.

Prices are high, but outside factors appear to be driving most of that.

I think eBay still dwarfs even MyComicShop, in terms of sales and diversity of product for comics. I've noticed that MCS tends to vary more from eBay. So that sometimes you get a sale that is 10% or 20% above eBay, and sometimes 10% or 20% below.

For example, a year and a half ago I got $225 for a 9.8 copy of Walking Dead #192, right when it peaked. That was on MCS, and it remains the highest price paid. (Now it is a $50 book, if you're lucky.) But I also tried for six months to sell a Marvel Comics #1000 D23, with "make an offer" turned on, and didn't even get a nibble. I then put it up on eBay and it sold in less than eight hours at full price.

So you can't tell which will sell better on eBay and which at MCS, but I've definitely seen some MCS sales where they could have saved a little money if they shopped on eBay first.
Post 118 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid

I was hoping you’d chime in...

I knew you made a lot of MCS sales so I figured you’d have a unique perspective on it.

I guess it’s safe to say comics are on a lot of radars now.
Post 119 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I am watching the live bidding portion of the current Heritage Auction. The prices with the buyer’s premium are crazy, and that doesn’t include the shipping and insurance costs (and I don’t even know if state taxes apply).
Post 120 IP   flag post
Quote:
I think eBay still dwarfs even MyComicShop, in terms of sales and diversity of product for comics. I've noticed that MCS tends to vary more from eBay. So that sometimes you get a sale that is 10% or 20% above eBay, and sometimes 10% or 20% below.

I think the explanation is that the audience is much smaller at MCS but you also have several dealers with credits that they can only use MCS so they are willing to pay a premium when something they want comes available. So in specific cases you can get a premium there. I have two sales at MCS that are highest on recent record best as I can tell from GPA and GoCollect.
Post 121 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I think the explanation is that the audience is much smaller at MCS but you also have several dealers with credits that they can only use MCS so they are willing to pay a premium when something they want comes available. So in specific cases you can get a premium there. I have two sales at MCS that are highest on recent record best as I can tell from GPA and GoCollect.

That's an excellent point. Also, some people just don't trust eBay.

FYI, if you don't know, it is non-obvious when a comic listed at MCS sells via eBay. That is (for anyone new reading this), MCS automatically lists EVERY commission comic for sale on eBay. Their system just adds an amount to cover shipping (so that their eBay listings are "free shipping" and adds enough extra to cover the eBay fees. Consequently, sometimes it *looks* like you sold something on MCS, but really it sold via eBay.

You can check by just finding a listing on eBay for MCS, then click on the "mycomicshop" link (currently, 470,565 listings), then click on "items for sale." This is everything they are selling from their store. And if you click on "sold listings" you can check to see if your item sold there or not.
Post 122 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
@Tedsaid

I was hoping you’d chime in...

I knew you made a lot of MCS sales so I figured you’d have a unique perspective on it.

I guess it’s safe to say comics are on a lot of radars now.

That is exactly right. I sold a comic 3-4 weeks ago on eBay, the guy was just "diversifying" out of sports cards. From my take, he had no more interest or knowledge about comic books than just as an investment vehicle. He had picked mine because it was a key; and he was following a quick-and-dirty formula for making an offer and buying, it seemed to me.

But hey ... people collect for all sorts of reasons.
Post 123 IP   flag post
While all the money is chasing the new hotness, books like this one are getting severely over-looked:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ivitems=5356931#50131527

First Silver Age Solomon Grundy CGC 6.5, $300 OBO
Post 124 IP   flag post
Quote:
While all the money is chasing the new hotness, books like this one are getting severely over-looked:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ivitems=5356931#50131527

First Silver Age Solomon Grundy CGC 6.5, $300 OBO

290 plus commission and shipping was what this book sold for. =)
Post 125 IP   flag post
@Bronte

Honestly, watching the marvel comics go insane has moved me toward picking up DC silver age books.

If they are going to be neglected, I’ll gladly take advantage.
Post 126 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie

I am not well versed in DC keys, but this book has been one I've wanted for awhile. I just never came across the right grade / price combo that worked.
Post 127 IP   flag post
I’m not that versed in them, either and I’m not sure these will ever have the same value as most Marvel keys, but I’m a firm believer in the “hit ‘em where they ain’t” collector philosophy.

I just grabbed a mid/ low JLA 21 for a decent price.

If nothing else, this has helped me get those SA DC books, I’d never considered before.

Congrats on the book! Hopefully, you’ll post pics soon?
Post 128 IP   flag post
I choose the cheapest shipping so it might be awhile. Usps is kinda like a turtle. Slow and steady but eventually gets there...
Post 129 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia

I was actually looking at Grundy keys last week. The thing is Marvel > DC in terms of spec and popularity. I just watched an online auction, the seller had 1 DC book on his back wall. All Marvel keys were selling like hot cakes.
Post 130 IP   flag post
601249 210 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?