Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Question about sale on eBay13949

Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amspider
@Redmisty4me
It appears you have a sarcastic remark for everything I post or say. I would like to know if your a detective or once again a keyboard coward. Amazing bud you really have nothing else to do in life. For those who helped or gave a suggestion thank you. I will stop reading this as soon as I post this. Once it’s all said and done I will advise the group of the out come. I will refrain from posting anything else as for some members have zero manners nor respect.

The two aren't mutually exclusive, Am.

If you've been scammed (yet again?), I hope justice is done in your favor.

Once the buyer is contacted, it'll be interesting to see what happens, as he'll likely get nervous & back off if your version of events is correct.

But if he shows up here to defend himself...

So you're welcome for encouraging those here who have said they like to hear BOTH sides before making up their mind to facilitate just that, as if you've been scammed, my encouragement will likely work in your favor.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
You may want to look into this too.

https://www.ic3.gov/
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
@Amspider Would you have a picture of the shipping label?
Post 53 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Amspider I figured the buyer was likely a scam but honestly I thought the scam would be more sophisticated than this.
One thought: Demand that the buyer hold on to the box and contents as evidence in an investigation. It doesn't look like a flat rate box, Was a weight ever taken for shipping costs? Don't answer that question here. Either way you want the buyer to believe that a weight was recorded by the Post Office.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
@Amspider I figured the buyer was likely a scam but honestly I thought the scam would be more sophisticated than this.
One thought: Demand that the buyer hold on to the box and contents as evidence in an investigation. It doesn't look like a flat rate box, Was a weight ever taken for shipping costs? Don't answer that question here. Either way you want the buyer to believe that a weight was recorded by the Post Office.

The buyer could easily [not posted so as not to facilitate fraud], EBM.

Have you contacted him with a link to this thread yet?

Let us know when you do, as this will likely work in the favor of justice.

A Solomon without honor on the forum,

RM4M
Post 55 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmisty4me

It's a zero feedback account that ships to a PO Box, which is how the thread started. I don't intend to try to contact him. Only thing he's going to say is that he got an empty box.
Post 56 IP   flag post
So is Miguel O Espinosa the buyer or seller?
Post 57 IP   flag post
Nevermind. It's the seller's name.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

It's a zero feedback account that ships to a PO Box, which is how the thread started. I don't intend to try to contact him. Only thing he's going to say is that he got an empty box.

Uh-huh.

When one of the OTHER oft self-proclaimed clear-eyed seekers of BOTH sides of the story does so, please let us know!

As a PO lessee, the buyer is actually quite vulnerable if scamming, btw - the idea that the opposite is true is absurd.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amspider
His name and eBay name are nothing alike.

Is this an indication of a red flag? I just checked my last 50 or so sales and none of my buyer's ebay name matched their name.
Post 60 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
My ebay name doesn't match my real name, forum name, or any other name I've ever used. I really don't think it matters.

I have over 500 feedback
Post 61 IP   flag post
Quote:
Uh-huh.

When one of the OTHER oft self-proclaimed clear-eyed seekers of BOTH sides of the story does so, please let us know!

@Redmisty4me Will do. Or how about in this case I just act as surrogate for the Buyer? Here goes: "Box was empty bro. WTF you trying to do to me!"
Post 62 IP   flag post
I didn't think it mattered either which is why I questioned if it was a red flag.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector manfred_spain private msg quote post Address this user
One pic has a partial address of the seller, and their name.

https://www.locatepeople.org/miguel-espinosa/florida/
Post 64 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Uh-huh.

@Redmisty4me Will do. Or how about in this case I just act as surrogate for the Buyer? Here goes: "Box was empty bro. WTF you trying to do to me!"

Honestly, you can do MUCH better, bro.

There are three equally compelling possibilities here, presented in no particular order:

1) The buyer stole the comic.

2) The seller shipped an empty box.

3) The comic was lost or stolen in transit by a 3rd party.

That nearly everyone here leapt to embrace one possibility, and despite endlessly proclaiming a strong interest in fairness and hearing both/all sides of a story, has made ZERO effort to include the buyer in this conversation, speaks volumes.

If any here who have mindlessly embraced one narrative to the exclusion of others are ever called to serve on a jury, I would humbly suggest that you find a way out, as this will be your ultimate public service...
Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’d hope e-bay would weigh this situation carefully.

A ZERO feedback buyer claiming a seller with over a thousand transactions & 100% positive feedback scammed them? How does that hold-up?
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I’d hope e-bay would weigh this situation carefully.

A ZERO feedback buyer claiming a seller with over a thousand transactions & 100% positive feedback scammed them? How does that hold-up?

There are three equally compelling possibilities, and while the lack of feedback may be an issue, the fact that the item was shipped to a PO Box speaks very much in the buyer's favor, as extensive information is on file with the Postal Service as a result.

There are also extremely bad sellers on eBay who are "Top Rated," so I don't find an apparent lack of prior bad acts compelling one way or another.

Theft/loss in transit is also entirely possible.

Have you contacted the buyer and asked them to weigh in here?
Post 67 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
What city was this shipped to? Have you checked craiglist, offerup, facebook marketplace in the area? Some buyers (edited from sellers which was a typo) aren't too bright. I read a CGC forum post recently where stolen books were sent to comiclink and are at the current auction. Some people get very active in this situation and contact the police, post office, local comic shops, pawn shops, etc. in the area that the comic was stolen. You should also create separate threads here and on the CGC forum including detailed photos of the book and the area it was shipped to. Doing this without delay is crucial.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
What city was this shipped to? Have you checked craiglist, offerup, facebook marketplace in the area? Some seller's aren't too bright. I read a CGC forum post recently where stolen books were sent to comiclink and are at the current auction.

If stolen while in transit, the thief might have gone this route, so good suggestion.

Have you contacted the buyer & asked them to weigh in here?
Post 69 IP   flag post
It’s possible it was stolen in transit. But with 1000 vs. 0 being the disparity in feedback, that’s a huge swing in the Seller’s favor.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
There are three equally compelling possibilities here, presented in no particular order:

That nearly everyone here leapt to embrace one possibility, and despite endlessly proclaiming a strong interest in fairness and hearing both/all sides of a story, has made ZERO effort to include the buyer in this conversation, speaks volumes.

Well if you think that speaks volumes, you're going to really find me contemptable when you read what I wrote about the situation before the situation was even a situation!

Quote:
I definitely would find the situation worthy of concern. A high dollar book going to a zero feedback buyer and shipping to a PO Box. It has plenty of red flags. Only ship to a verified address and you should be fine. I might also come up with a reason to delay shipping by a few days. But I would be interested to know how long the account has been open, buyer may have opened the account specifically to buy this book.

I hope the fact that we were already concerned about option 1 arose would help you to understand why we are not spending considerable time discussing option 2 or 3. But they are possibilities. If the book had disappeared before there were concerns about the buyer, they would be considered even more likely possibilities.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Quote:
It’s possible it was stolen in transit. But with 1000 vs. 0 being the disparity in feedback, that’s a huge swing in the Seller’s favor.

Is it?

Isn't everyone a 0 feedback buyer at some point?

Thinking logically rather than with pre-judgment, mightn't a bad seller wait for exactly a situation like this to ship an empty box and claim the item was stolen?

Should the venues you suggested be checked to see if the seller may have placed the item there?

I seek to make no compelling argument in favor of any of the 3 likely possibilities, btw, but merely to counter the baseless prejudice expressed so far on this thread with the counterweight of other equally compelling possibilities.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Well if you think that speaks volumes, you're going to really find me contemptable when you read what I wrote about the situation before the situation was even a situation!

Quote:
I definitely would find the situation worthy of concern. A high dollar book going to a zero feedback buyer and shipping to a PO Box. It has plenty of red flags. Only ship to a verified address and you should be fine. I might also come up with a reason to delay shipping by a few days. But I would be interested to know how long the account has been open, buyer may have opened the account specifically to buy this book.

I hope the fact that we were already concerned about option 1 arose would help you to understand why we are not spending considerable time discussing option 2 or 3. But they are possibilities. If the book had disappeared before there were concerns about the buyer, they would be considered even more likely possibilities.

Shipping to a PO Box is SAFER than any other method, so you were/are wrong there, and everyone's a 0 FB buyer at some point.

Prior prejudice in one direction or another is not compelling, no, though the apparent lack of effort by anyone here to include the buyer in the conversation continues to speak volumes.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Quote:

Yeah, but you know what 0 feedback buyers don't typically buy for their true first Ebay purchase? A $1,200 raw collectible comic book with a "no returns accepted policy". If you argue that point I'm not going to call you obtuse on the public forum, but I'm gonna think it in my head.
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Is it?

Thinking logically rather than with pre-judgment, mightn't a bad seller wait for exactly a situation like this to ship an empty box and claim the item was stolen?

Should the venues you suggested be checked to see if the seller may have placed the item there?

I seek to make no compelling argument in favor of any of the 3 likely possibilities, btw, but merely to counter the baseless prejudice expressed so far on this thread with the counterweight of other equally compelling possibilities.

It is. Yes.

E-bay has the Seller’s entire history at-hand. We don’t. If it is truly flawless, it’s especially telling. If not, they have details we don’t. But my point is, reputation matters.

Also, statistically, how many people are scammed on their first ever e-bay transaction?

Transversely, how many 0% users are scammers? Again, there’s quite a contrast here. Again, in the Seller’s favor.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:
Also, statistically, how many people are scammed on their first ever e-bay transaction?

@00slim or buy a $1,200 raw comic with no returns accepted?

Quote:
Transversely, how many 0% users are scammers?

Again, scammers who buy $1,200 raw comics.

So here's my scenario: The scammer was the mailman. He took the comic out in his truck and then delivered the empty box to the P.O. box of a friend that he had order it in the first place. But actually when he went to take the comic out, the box was already empty because @amspider was so nervous and confused that he forgot to put the book in the box before he sealed it. So the proposed scenarios 1,2 and 3 are actually all correct. Buyer was a scammer, box was opened in transit, book was never put in box.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Quote:
Prior prejudice in one direction or another is not compelling, no, though the apparent lack of effort by anyone here to include the buyer in the conversation continues to speak volumes.

@Redmisty4me you don't want to talk about prior prejudices. Your presence in this thread and your entire line of reasoning is based on prior prejudices. I'm not even saying you were wrong in previous dust-ups with @Amspider, in fact I don't think you were. But when prior prejudices lead to intellectual dishonesty and obtuseness...that, in fact, is how Juries get tainted.
What could the buyer possibly say here that could make a difference? I'm honestly trying to think what the buyer might say other than that the box was empty. How could it possibly be useful to have the buyer come to the forum and confirm their assertion that the box was empty? Honestly, the only reason I could think of to have the buyer come to the forum in this case is to watch a verbal fight between buyer and seller that resolves nothing.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is it?

It is. Yes.

E-bay has the Seller’s entire history at-hand. We don’t. If it is truly flawless, it’s especially telling. If not, they have details we don’t. But my point is, reputation matters.

Transversely, how many 0% users are scammers? Again, there’s quite a contrast here. Again, in the Seller’s favor.

Not logically, no.

Some aspects, yes. An enormous amount of information is available, including conduct on this forum, but some sellers (for instance) trim books and/or use shill accounts to artificially increase final outcomes, and neither we nor eBay might know about that. Thus "truly flawless" by one limited perspective might be entirely meaningless. Many people had details on Dupcak that eBay didn't - does that mean he was "flawless?" And indeed reputation matters - take Dupcak for instance - so your use of a flawed and narrow metric is questionable at best.

I don't know - how many? Please share any concrete statistics you may have. Are you assuming the buyer was scammed? By the seller? A third party?

I don't know - how many? If you have this "contrasting" information in some concrete form, please do share it! In the seller's favor? How so? Please share any ACTUAL proof/statistics you have! TIA
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

@00slim or buy a $1,200 raw comic with no returns accepted?

Quote:
Transversely, how many 0% users are scammers?

Again, scammers who buy $1,200 raw comics.

So here's my scenario: The scammer was the mailman. He took the comic out in his truck and then delivered the empty box to the P.O. box of a friend that he had order it in the first place. But actually when he went to take the comic out, the box was already empty because @amspider was so nervous and confused that he forgot to put the book in the box before he sealed it. So the proposed scenarios 1,2 and 3 are actually all correct. Buyer was a scammer, box was opened in transit, book was never put in box.

Any statistics you have should be shared - I'm all eyes! Otherwise, you're just engaging in baseless speculation.

Baseless speculation.

More baseless speculation, but at least you're thinking - or pretending to think - beyond the boundaries of your prior predudice.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

@Redmisty4me you don't want to talk about prior prejudices. Your presence in this thread and your entire line of reasoning is based on prior prejudices. I'm not even saying you were wrong in previous dust-ups with @Amspider, in fact I don't think you were. But when prior prejudices lead to intellectual dishonesty and obtuseness...that, in fact, is how Juries get tainted.
What could the buyer possibly say here that could make a difference? I'm honestly trying to think what the buyer might say other than that the box was empty. How could it possibly be useful to have the buyer come to the forum and confirm their assertion that the box was empty? Honestly, the only reason I could think of to have the buyer come to the forum in this case is to watch a verbal fight between buyer and seller that resolves nothing.

I don't? My presence in this thread is based on prior concrete observations and a desire to present logical arguments in favor of any reasonable possibility rather than jumping on a mindless bandwagon of baseless speculation. Prior prejudice is an irrelevant red herring; let's stick to considering the 3 most reasonable possibilities, okay? (But thank you for your more supportive comments.) Intellectual dishonesty? Like a person going out of their way to include parties to a differing side of a dispute in some instances, but not in others? Ask the buyer to join in & find out; in the meantime, your EXTREME prejudice is showing. That he would say that here is compelling. You REALLY don't understand this? If the buyer shows up at all, that's compelling, but apparently NO ONE HERE is willing to reach out - VERY telling.
Post 80 IP   flag post
597883 99 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.