Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Question about sale on eBay13949

It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
To be seller-protected on eBay or if paid through PayPal, for items over $750 you are required to use signature confirmation (if it sold for more than $750).

Contacting the buyer with this information ahead of sending it is a good idea. It will appear to be as a courtesy, whereas you are actually trying to gain a better feel about the buyer. Better to deal with potential problems/objections while the comic is still in your possession. But in any case, don't send it without signature confirmation. I'd rather cancel the sale than send it like that, and you will still have that option.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Amspider private msg quote post Address this user
JUST AS I SUSPECTED the buyer is claiming the mailer was empty!!! I should have stuck to my gut. Luckily I photographed step by step and provided it to eBay now my funds are on hold until they figure it out. F@&#
Post 27 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Amspider

Wow. You have the worst luck I've ever heard of....
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I gotta ask, did you put signature confirmation on it?
Post 29 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim

I don't think that is the problem. He got the package. He is saying the package was empty from my understanding.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I see. Damn. That’s messed up.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@Amspider

It's quite something isn't it?
Post 32 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Amspider You need to find a way to turn this into a legal issue, not an Ebay issue. You need to let Ebay know that it would be completely unacceptable to reverse funds without an official USPS claim filed by the buyer. Typically scammers will back away from going on record and getting legal entities involved.
Post 33 IP   flag post
@Redmisty4me

Not going there. But I would say that if it were me, and I didn't require money for survival, I'd take a huge break from ebay and concentrate on forging friends and transactions on these forums. So far I've had positive luck with everyone on this forum.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
@Amspider you might want to file a police report.

Edit: you can also reach out to awakeintheashes on the CGC forum. He had a similar situation a year or so ago with a Hulk 181 he sold.
Post 35 IP   flag post
I had a guy damage the book I mailed him. I called ebay and explained the situation. I ended up getting 50% value of book and the book returned.. Don't just hand over information without speaking to someone. If you calmly explain the situation you may get better results than just blindly complying with the automated responses.
Post 36 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Amspider This really sucks and I'm sorry to hear this happened. Can you please share the eBay buyer with us?
Post 37 IP   flag post
Does anyone have a link to the sale?

A cursory check didn't turn it up for me.

Feel free to PM it to me if for any reason you don't want to post it.

Thanks!
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Here’s the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-48-Vol-1-Great-Upper-Mid-Grade-1st-Silver-Surfer-Galactus-/203276957955?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Dang, dude!

Luckily, you documented everything. Like Bronte said, state your case with Ebay and stay factual about it.

You might look into a police report, too.

I’m hoping you catch a break.
Post 40 IP   flag post
The police report is actually a really good idea. If I recall correctly since it was done via USPS and it crossed state lines it is a federal crime. Not many folks are willing to screw with federal crimes
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmisty4me
Quote:
@Amspider

When you hang out and play in the high-crime neighborhoods you're more likely to get robbed. These raw major Keys and unverified high-value signatures bought and sold between no-reputation strangers online...that opportunity seems to be a magnet for this kind of crowd. When you choose to play in this game you have to remember the poker saying...If you don't know who the patsy is, you're probably the patsy.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Dang. That really sucks. Scammed at buying and now scammed at selling. I'd be pissed.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmisty4me
Quote:
@Amspider

When you hang out and play in the high-crime neighborhoods you're more likely to get robbed. These raw major Keys and unverified high-value signatures bought and sold between no-reputation strangers online...that opportunity seems to be a magnet for this kind of crowd. When you choose to play in this game you have to remember the poker saying...If you don't know who the patsy is, you're probably the patsy.

I'd certainly like to hear more information.

If the buyer's name is posted here by the OP, they can be contacted via eBay & offered the chance to tell their side of the story here, as we all agree is the fairest & most logical manner in which to proceed.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amspider
JUST AS I SUSPECTED the buyer is claiming the mailer was empty!!! I should have stuck to my gut. Luckily I photographed step by step and provided it to eBay now my funds are on hold until they figure it out. F@&#

An unedited video with time-code beginning with you placing the book in the shipping container & ending with you handing it over to the carrier would be compelling, but photographs?

As any good detective will tell you, the shipper could simply remove the book from the container after the photograph was taken.

Good luck resolving; you certainly are a magnet for eBay drama!
Post 45 IP   flag post
No need here is the conversation I had via eBay. The last Picture is cut because it’s my home address As for a police report it’s useless but I am going to report him to the postal police. I am sure I am not the only one being scammed. From day 1 I should have seen it coming. His name and eBay name are nothing alike. I will not settle, at all. I mailed to books as I do almost every other day. Double bag and board. The odd part is the bag and board he shows in his picture is the one that I slide the book bag and board into.

Post 46 IP   flag post
Redmisty4me, you are more than welcome to contact him. I would love to hear what you would ask him or even better what BS he will tell you. I welcome the conversation.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
@Amspider you might want to file a police report.

@Studley_Dudley I'm kind of looking at it from the other direction. I think he needs to insist that the buyer file a police report.

Quote:
As for a police report it’s useless but I am going to report him to the postal police.

Again, my recommendation would be to demand that the buyer do this. In my company maybe once a year we have a customer claim something valuable is missing after our guys were there. We tell them that this is a criminal allegation and nothing will happen on our side until they file a police report and make the allegation official. Guess what, the problem goes away every time.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Redmisty4me, you are more than welcome to contact him. I would love to hear what you would ask him or even better what BS he will tell you. I welcome the conversation.

Other than commenting here, I'll stay out of this week's Amspider drama, but as so many others here have said so many times that they always want to hear BOTH sides of a story, I'm sure one of them will contact the buyer with a link to this thread.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens...
Post 49 IP   flag post
@Redmisty4me
It appears you have a sarcastic remark for everything I post or say. I would like to know if your a detective or once again a keyboard coward. Amazing bud you really have nothing else to do in life. For those who helped or gave a suggestion thank you. I will stop reading this as soon as I post this. Once it’s all said and done I will advise the group of the out come. I will refrain from posting anything else as for some members have zero manners nor respect.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Redmisty4me
It appears you have a sarcastic remark for everything I post or say. I would like to know if your a detective or once again a keyboard coward. Amazing bud you really have nothing else to do in life. For those who helped or gave a suggestion thank you. I will stop reading this as soon as I post this. Once it’s all said and done I will advise the group of the out come. I will refrain from posting anything else as for some members have zero manners nor respect.

The two aren't mutually exclusive, Am.

If you've been scammed (yet again?), I hope justice is done in your favor.

Once the buyer is contacted, it'll be interesting to see what happens, as he'll likely get nervous & back off if your version of events is correct.

But if he shows up here to defend himself...

So you're welcome for encouraging those here who have said they like to hear BOTH sides before making up their mind to facilitate just that, as if you've been scammed, my encouragement will likely work in your favor.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Huntergreene2 private msg quote post Address this user
You may want to look into this too.

https://www.ic3.gov/
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
@Amspider Would you have a picture of the shipping label?
Post 53 IP   flag post
@Amspider I figured the buyer was likely a scam but honestly I thought the scam would be more sophisticated than this.
One thought: Demand that the buyer hold on to the box and contents as evidence in an investigation. It doesn't look like a flat rate box, Was a weight ever taken for shipping costs? Don't answer that question here. Either way you want the buyer to believe that a weight was recorded by the Post Office.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
@Amspider I figured the buyer was likely a scam but honestly I thought the scam would be more sophisticated than this.
One thought: Demand that the buyer hold on to the box and contents as evidence in an investigation. It doesn't look like a flat rate box, Was a weight ever taken for shipping costs? Don't answer that question here. Either way you want the buyer to believe that a weight was recorded by the Post Office.

The buyer could easily [not posted so as not to facilitate fraud], EBM.

Have you contacted him with a link to this thread yet?

Let us know when you do, as this will likely work in the favor of justice.

A Solomon without honor on the forum,

RM4M
Post 55 IP   flag post
601285 99 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.