Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeGrading Help NeededSignatures

Graded Twilight Zone #84 - Priced Fairly?1394

Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
I've been seeking a higher grade copy of this book for months and this one finally appeared on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201695209499

Is the seller's asking price even realistic? How much does Miller's signature really add to the value?

Thanks for the help and feedback!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector steveo76 private msg quote post Address this user
I think he's a little high. I'm seeing fine-ish copies selling in the $150 range and a 7.5 sold for $200 2 months ago. The value of the signature is definitely more on a book like that than say a DKIII. There's an 8.5 up auction too. I do like the gold signature better on that 8.0 and he's accepting best offers. Objectively I think it's a $400 book but if you really want a signed one in VF or better what would it cost you to get the book and then get it signed? I'm a big Frank Miller fan so I wouldn't blink at paying $500 if I wanted it.

Hypothetically speaking, If I had a book up for $600 w/best offer my thinking would be I'd consider accepting anything within 20% of that price.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Twilight-Zone-84-CGC-8-5-SS-Frank-Miller-not-9-8-1st-professional-comic-work-/172375360339?hash=item28225f4353:g:iTgAAOSwpLNYAXNi

Not something I would pay $600 for but that's the fun of this. We all collect what we like.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
That guy is trolling for suckers
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user

Back in Dec 1981 I hosted Frank Miller's first ever store signing party centered same week Daredevil #181 came out. Some 4000 lost comics souls came thru. I had bought 15,000 copies of DD #181 - we sold a fair chunk of them that week end.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
This one just popped up:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252602690211

I don't have access to a census but wondering if the seller's asking price is in line with others that have sold recently?

Appreciate the help and feedback!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
No. That price is silly! However, P.T. Barnum
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics

Back in Dec 1981 I hosted Frank Miller's first ever store signing party centered same week Daredevil #181 came out. Some 4000 lost comics souls came thru. I had bought 15,000 copies of DD #181 - we sold a fair chunk of them that week end.

Very cool stuff. Its interesting that Frank spent a good amount of time in 'Bezerkley' back in the day. Especially considering he's a conservative
Post 8 IP   flag post
This was 35 years ago now. Frank is not "conservative" these days of days. He is merely crazy (like I am probabaly) which saw his right wing views sprout post being mugged on the the street in New York City. I flew in Frank to Berkeley on a Thursday. We prepped Friday.

First day signing on Saturday some 4000+ lost comics souls came thru non-stop 9 AM thru 9 PM in a line stretching out the door and snaking back down Dwight Way, I then pulled plug as Frank's right hand HURT from signing many thousands of comics & such. I placed a limit of 5 items per person. If you wanted more, you had to get back in to a mostly two hour line wait.

then we did it again 9 AM thru 3 PM Sunday

After that we got VERY stoned on Mary Jane whilst Frank pored thru my then 583 out of the 618 published Spirit section weeklies collection.

I had ALL of the Eisner and Wood ones plus most of the Lou Fine & Reed Crandall ones which back then none of us knew those two guys did most of the "non" Eisner ones

After that couple hour Eisner Fest i took all the crew down the block to Fondue Fred's in the Old Garage where we had a large feast - munchies, no doubt -

Then he flew back to NYC Monday morn - then the following week end he flew to Dallas to Buddy Saunder's Lone Star Comics for his second store signing gig ever.

My long time friend Buddy Saunders and I had talked on the phone who would be "first" and who would be "second" - and it worked out well cuz I wanted him at my joint before the UC-Berkeley students went home for the Holidaze and Buddy wanted him while all the schools were closed in the Dallas Fort Worth area. I used to stay at Buddy's Dallas house when I came down for Dallas comicons late 60s thru 1971 or so before moving out west to partner up Aug 1972 with Bud Plant and John Barrett as we opened up the Comics & Comix store chain

Some have told me this is the earliest known Miller Spirit drawing. I also gave him a set of the original Japanese Lone Wolf and Cub series I was importing then from Japan

Some six months later First Comics announced they were doing English language Lone Wolf and Cub with the first dozen sporting Frank Miller covers.

The next dozen LW&C by First Comics had Bill Sienkiewicz covers who I also hosted quite a few times in my Bay Area comic book store now a long time ago in that proverbial galaxy far far away which is a tale for another day. Here is a drawing by Bill housed in the same sketch book as Frank's Spirit - enjoy, if the "spirit" moves you.

Post 9 IP   flag post
And just for the public record it was my then right hand man employee Mark Stichman who figured out which issue of Twilight Zone has the "first" Frank Miller professional comic book work. Frank told us Twilight Zone but was so embarrassed by it he would not tell us which issue number. We had made up a free 4 page brochure for all who came thru that week end which also contained a very complete check list of ALL Frank Miller comics work up to Dec 1981 as we wanted to create addicts who would want to complete out their Miller sets. Blew Frank's brain at the time when we showed him TZ #84. He thought no one would be able to recognize that story as he thought it so terrible.

Mark Stichman was also the first one to spot Steve Ditko was in Black Magic #27 knocking Fantastic Fears #4 off it's perch for s spell. He and I found the Ditko story together in BM #28.

I had recently bought a complete run of the Crestwood Black Magic - and when he first showed me the #27 it blew our brains.We spent the rest of the afternoon studying every issue in vain looking for a 3rd Ditko which we had to conclude did not exist.

I then submitted that data to Overstreet. For a while my good friend the late Bruce Hamilton was upset. He had written that FF #4 story while still in high school in 1953 which Ditko drew. Bruce also wrote some of Ditko's early Charlton stuff.
Post 10 IP   flag post
598060 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?