Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Zack Snyder's Justice League (Official Trailer)13930

Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
@DWeeB1967

Bruce tells Dianna "I failed him in life. But I won't fail him in death. " and then fails Clark by letting the Kent farm get foreclosed upon. For me it highlighted that Bruce is shallow, and never follows through on anything except for his selfish crusade against crime. It is very typical of the crap in Synder's DC universe.

(BTW, Clark was Superman for about 18 months when he dies in the Synder DC universe. The timeline is that he's dead for about a year when he is brought back to life).

I see what you’re saying, but I think I’ve tended to ignore those pieces or not place much emphasis on it.

I don’t care how rich Bruce is, one does not simply “buy a bank.”

I always think that’s part of the “massive wealth” is his super power.

I’m not a fan of that line of thinking.

Bruce didn't need to buy a bank. He could have paid off the debt on the farm or bought it at auction. He's one of the richest people on the planet in the DC Universe. A billionaire makes millions in interest/returns per minute. Shucking out the amount of money to gift the farm to Martha wouldn't be an issue. I guess he was too busy fighting Harley and Joker or something to keep his word. Wait, he's a bent character in Synder's universe so Martha isn't even on his radar until it is too late and he is forced to buy the bank. She's an afterthought. Then once Clark comes back Bruce suddenly does the right thing. More than likely in Synder's universe there was a motive for doing it. Bruce somehow sees Clark as an asset and he's buying him or buying goodwill for a future favor.

If you are a hero in Synder's Universe you have to be bent or warped. Even Dianna is troubled. She disappears herself for decades because she loved someone and the pain from him dying drives her in to hiding. That isn't a hero. That isn't a strong independent woman.

Synder needs to move away from the idea that the characters are all like Rorschach - as mentally disturbed as he is, and act like him.
Post 101 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Post 102 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 103 IP   flag post
It sounds like AT&T/HBO Max are already interested in producing a sequel. If ZSJL is good - which I suspect that it is - the thing that would concern me is an HBO Max budget vs a Warner Bros budget.
Post 104 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@theCapraAegagrus Seriously??!! Fingers crossed!!!! I hope this film is a huge financial success!
Post 105 IP   flag post

Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
It sounds like AT&T/HBO Max are already interested in producing a sequel. If ZSJL is good - which I suspect that it is - the thing that would concern me is an HBO Max budget vs a Warner Bros budget.

I think that is the best way forward. Keeping Snyder's vision on HBO will allow him to complete his story. I wouldn't even mind if they broke the remaining story down to be more episodic like Punisher on Netflix. HBO seems willing to throw money behind programs. Just look at what they've invested into this as it is and consider the production value of Game of Thrones. Plus, this would allow for there to be a home for Snyder's version without worrying about the people who are wetting their pants over not having a cinematic version of the Super Friends. They can have that at WB, and Snyder can be with HBO. Mainline comics and Black Label comics.
Post 106 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@theCapraAegagrus Seriously??!! Fingers crossed!!!! I hope this film is a huge financial success!

Keep in mind that "interested" doesn't mean "planned" or anything like that, but it's interesting that they're already interested lol.

It would have to be some sort of Elseworlds universe, which is honestly what Snyder's original plan was, as he didn't really intend to dirtectly compete with the MCU. WB is too hard-headed to take Snyder's plan back on, and Fisher said that he won't work with WB. I know that Netflix was in debt when they were signing all sorts of contracts for original movies and shows, so maybe there will be zero budget concerns for HBO Max (if a sequel or two were to get the green light).

I am fairly excited for Thursday.
Post 107 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
Quote:

I think that is the best way forward. Keeping Snyder's vision on HBO will allow him to complete his story. I wouldn't even mind if they broke the remaining story down to be more episodic like Punisher on Netflix. HBO seems willing to throw money behind programs. Just look at what they've invested into this as it is and consider the production value of Game of Thrones. Plus, this would allow for there to be a home for Snyder's version without worrying about the people who are wetting their pants over not having a cinematic version of the Super Friends. They can have that at WB, and Snyder can be with HBO. Mainline comics and Black Label comics.

You beat me to it!
Post 108 IP   flag post
@Themaxx35 Great points!

For me, I just want the story told!
Post 109 IP   flag post
Quote:
which is honestly what Snyder's original plan was, as he didn't really intend to dirtectly compete with the MCU

THIS. This what seems to be lost in the history books. Snyder's plan was for a 5 movie arc, focusing on the development of Superman. The Justice League and other characters would play roles, but the vision was to show Clark develop into what the world understands Superman to be. WB wanted to start competing with the MCU and tried to convert Snyder's plans into a shared universe. Maybe that could have worked, but it would have required a whole different approach IMO.

To give the MCU credit where credit is due, they developed their universe very deliberately and its paid off well. But that doesn't mean its the only way to do things.
Post 110 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
which is honestly what Snyder's original plan was, as he didn't really intend to dirtectly compete with the MCU

THIS. This what seems to be lost in the history books. Snyder's plan was for a 5 movie arc, focusing on the development of Superman. The Justice League and other characters would play roles, but the vision was to show Clark develop into what the world understands Superman to be. WB wanted to start competing with the MCU and tried to convert Snyder's plans into a shared universe. Maybe that could have worked, but it would have required a whole different approach IMO.

To give the MCU credit where credit is due, they developed their universe very deliberately and its paid off well. But that doesn't mean its the only way to do things.

It's like you're reading my mind...
Post 111 IP   flag post
Quote:
Plus, this would allow for there to be a home for Snyder's version without worrying about the people who are wetting their pants over not having a cinematic version of the Super Friends. They can have that at WB, and Snyder can be with HBO. Mainline comics and Black Label comics.

Interesting comment. However, the premise that the new Superman show on the CW will be following reflects an adult approach to the characters while staying true to what Clark is in the comics could/can happen without it being the "Super Friends". The same can't be said for the whinney, hurt, "oh woe is me" alien that Synder birthed.

Clark should have been handled in the same way that the MCU handled Steve Rodgers. For those that say it couldn't be done in 2020 all that needs to be done is for them to look at that example the MCU provides and see that an idyllic Superman who is a goody goody, that stands for everything that is good could have showed up and lead the DC movie universe as well. He would have provided a light at the end of the tunnel that the audience knew would have been reached. Instead we get more and more darkness without the possibility that it will ever end.
Post 112 IP   flag post
@Towmater Dude, we get it, you don't like Snyder's version and you don't want to see it progress. There are multiple other media versions for you to enjoy: The Donner movies, Superman Returns (or, "Return of Donner" ), Smallville, the new CW stuff, the animated series, the justice league animated series, and a personal favorite of mine, the old Fleischer animated shorts. Those all still exist and can be enjoyed. And, I even hear JJ Abrams is brewing up something new for the people who don't like Snyder's version.

Go, watch, live, laugh, love and be secure knowing that you've won. You're views are validated. WB has abandoned Snyder. People who want to see an "Elseworlds-esque" take on the characters on an alternative media platform does not take any of that away.
Post 113 IP   flag post
Quote:
...whinney, hurt, "oh woe is me" alien that Synder birthed...Instead we get more and more darkness without the possibility that it will ever end.

This is incorrect in every way, shape, and form.
Post 114 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
...whinney, hurt, "oh woe is me" alien that Synder birthed...Instead we get more and more darkness without the possibility that it will ever end.

In your opinion...not in mine.

Quote:
@Towmater Dude, we get it, you don't like Snyder's version and you don't want to see it progress. There are multiple other media versions for you to enjoy: The Donner movies, Superman Returns (or, "Return of Donner" ), Smallville, the new CW stuff, the animated series, the justice league animated series, and a personal favorite of mine, the old Fleischer animated shorts. Those all still exist and can be enjoyed. And, I even hear JJ Abrams is brewing up something new for the people who don't like Snyder's version.

Go, watch, live, laugh, love and be secure knowing that you've won. You're views are validated. WB has abandoned Snyder. People who want to see an "Elseworlds-esque" take on the characters on an alternative media platform does not take any of that away.

I'm expressing my opinion on the Synder universe. It isn't about winning or losing.

Your post indicates that my views ruffle your feathers. I guess you feel more comfortable in an echo chamber.
Post 115 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going to agree with @Towmater here.

I get it....the MCU style universe is not the only way to do things...but I kind of think that the DCU found that out with multiple fails. aaaannd I get that I don't have to watch it....my only gripe is that I was primarily a DC comic fan/reader so I kind of feel invested in these characters and movies and get disappointed time and again - they just don't seem to be setting themselves up for success as me and my family won't go see most of the DC films anymore or most of my friends and nieces/nephews etc. etc.

Who knows...maybe it's leadership, directors, lack of an overall goal/vison for what they want do to...but I'm not really on board.

The dark stuff works for Batman but not really for everything else!! - whatever....don't really have a pony in this race and probably just won't watch their films instead of watching and being disappointed - fool me once - shame on you...fool me twice - shame on me!!!! and they have fooled my waaay more than twice!!

ps....don't get me started on the inconsistencies in the powers for DC characters vs MCU...i.e. DC characters seem to have what the script requires rather than what the character can 'actually' do...why have a group with complementary powers when you can have characters do whatever is needed without anyones help...dang..said don't get me started!!
Post 116 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

@Towmater Clark never came across this way to me either. He's struggling to know who he is and what's his place in the world. No once can relate to him on this. He is almost literally a God-like figure in a world (that he was raised to believe) that would not accept him as he really is. How do you think this massive internal struggle would manifest? What would that look like from the outside? He wasn't "whinney" or "hurt" but wouldn't this knowledge of ones self be a complete mind-job? He was raised as human in a human world when in reality he's practically a god.
Post 117 IP   flag post

Post 118 IP   flag post
JL2 In Development?

clickable text
Post 119 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

@Towmater Clark never came across this way to me either. He's struggling to know who he is and what's his place in the world. No once can relate to him on this. He is almost literally a God-like figure in a world (that he was raised to believe) that would not accept him as he really is. How do you think this massive internal struggle would manifest? What would that look like from the outside? He wasn't "whinney" or "hurt" but wouldn't this knowledge of ones self be a complete mind-job? He was raised as human in a human world when in reality he's practically a god.

Thing is...Clark has and internal struggle(I'm a god!), Bruce has an internal struggle(my parents died ), Cyborg has an internal struggle (killed his mom? is mostly machine and is his fathers science experiment), Arthur has an internal struggle (not at home on land or in the water), Diana lost the love of her life..a guy she knew for a few weeks 100 years ago....maybe he was a much better guy than we saw on screen but 100 years seems like you could maybe move on. Seems like only guy with no internal struggle is Flash...but then this version of flash is an idiot who contributes nothing...WW can run in what seems like as fast as Flash (when the script calls for it), Supes can run as fast...this Flash appears to have no critical thinking skills so not even needed for that....and not even like knowledge/skill that the Bat doesn't have(Flash was a forensic scientist!) ..nope..no knowledge at all

That's a lot of brooding and struggling all around...maybe they should...you know...go to therapy or something before fighting evil today?

Even their costumes are brooding!! ok Bats is black...but all the colour pallet is darkened because this is a dark and foreboding outlook on heroes....and I'm sure that has it's place....it's just not for me (or it seems many, many, others)
Post 120 IP   flag post
I think the internal struggles/brooding can be said about many many characters, not just these ones.

As far as costumes go, yeah the colors are muted but I think if they used the bright colors the critisisms would be "they look like a rainbow" or something to that effect.

HBO is considering a Justice League 2 so there's obviously a market for Snyder's JL work.
Post 121 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics

Interesting points and sort of mirror my biggest complaint with the Snyder movies is the lack of humor.

Now, I don’t need it to be Deadpool or even the last couple of Avengers movies, but maybe everything doesn’t always have to be “the end of all there is.”

Having said that, WW might be a little brooding based on being immortal. Imagine watching everyone you ever love die while you live.

That’s got to be a mind trip.

I shared the same opinion as you, but seeing some of the passion for these movies on this thread, I’ve given them another look.
They aren’t that bad and if this version of JL turns out good, I think we’ll better see what the vision was.

Snyder was building something and it was only distantly related to the comics.

I think that was tough for me to get into, at first.

I think if you consider these films as “DC heroes show up in the real world,” it makes more sense.

Now, the powers thing I’m totally with you on...
Post 122 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

You see him the way Synder wants you to see him. One of my biggest issues with Synder's self-absorded, whiney Clark is that in the first Superman movie the audience is supposed to buy into Jonathan teaching Clark to distrust humans. Even alluding that Clark should have let the children drown in the school bus accident. What a bizarre paranoid thing for Jonathan to share with his young son and to teach him. On top of that, Synder expects the audience to gloss over that Jonathan and Martha have taught Clark the exact opposite through their actions. They found a spacecraft, then decided to raise the alien child found within it as their own. They provided him with a home, taught him morals, and gave him love. Their actions and their family life are disconnected from the words Synder’s warped movie forces upon them and the audience. In Syder’s film, Jonathan isn’t capable of identifying that he and his wife are shining examples of the best of what humanity can be.

The topper is that Jonathan is shown to be a hero who saves the family dog and doesn’t allow Clark to save him. Synder never touches on how much guilt Clark would carry for the rest of his life due to his inaction in the situation. It is no wonder that Clark is as moody and petulant as Synder twists him into being.
Post 123 IP   flag post
IDK...we agree to disagree....just pointing out one view of the Snyder films that people have and why they don't enjoy them.
No right or wrong...just how it is

That being said...I'll watch this version in hopes..always hopes that I'll like it...but I'm prepared to be disappointed again.
Post 124 IP   flag post
@Towmater @KatKomics I think it would be really cool if we were all sitting in a pub having this discussion. There's so much that can be said on both sides. I hope you guys do watch the film as I'd be interested in your opinions on it.
Post 125 IP   flag post
Reviews
Post 126 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC That certainly seems promising. Thanks.
Post 127 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In your opinion...not in mine.

Snyder didn't create an "oh woe is me" alien. That - particularly - is not a matter of opinion. If you don't like the Superman that Snyder did create, then I agree our opinions differ. We also haven't seen the finale to Snyder's plan, so there's no correct way of asserting, "we get more and more darkness without the possibility that it will ever end".
Post 128 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Thing is...Clark has and internal struggle(I'm a god!), Bruce has an internal struggle(my parents died ), Cyborg has an internal struggle (killed his mom? is mostly machine and is his fathers science experiment), Arthur has an internal struggle (not at home on land or in the water), Diana lost the love of her life..a guy she knew for a few weeks 100 years ago....maybe he was a much better guy than we saw on screen but 100 years seems like you could maybe move on. Seems like only guy with no internal struggle is Flash...but then this version of flash is an idiot who contributes nothing...WW can run in what seems like as fast as Flash (when the script calls for it), Supes can run as fast...this Flash appears to have no critical thinking skills so not even needed for that....and not even like knowledge/skill that the Bat doesn't have(Flash was a forensic scientist!) ..nope..no knowledge at all

That's a lot of brooding and struggling all around...maybe they should...you know...go to therapy or something before fighting evil today?

Even their costumes are brooding!! ok Bats is black...but all the colour pallet is darkened because this is a dark and foreboding outlook on heroes....and I'm sure that has it's place....it's just not for me (or it seems many, many, others)

Maybe you don't like characters overcoming personal adversity, but I certainly do. It's part of the reason that Iron Man was my favorite character in the MCU. He fought his demons and won - as did Captain America. Also, Thor overcame more personal adversity than any other character, IMO.
Post 129 IP   flag post
Post 130 IP   flag post
619268 205 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?