Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Hardcovers / Thick Trades / Any Books13920

I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
This a.m. I was looking at my 1st 27 original volumes of Marvel Masterworks.
All are signed by Stan. The rest are signed by the legends that are no longer with us (Heck, Lieber, Ayers, Colan, Buscema, Cockrum, Sinnott, Tuska, etc...) and by many more that are still with us.

There's obviously comic grading companies of which our very own here verifies signatures. Games and Toys are also put in plastic and graded by other companies. Cards are also graded and encased and have authenticated/verified signature services.

So I got to thinking - is there any Hardcover / Thick Trades companies that encase & grade the Hardcover / Trades in plastic? Secondly if there are any companies, do they do signature verifications?

It would seem this is an untapped market if there aren't any not just for comic related Hardovers; but also millions upon millions of books that have autographs in them already.

A quick google search yielded nothing for me.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
While it is an untapped market, I don't think its profitable. Look at how long it's been since CBCS has been in the process of magazine size holders and treasury size holders which aren't even considered due to cost.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I was thinking expansion well beyond comic related hardcovers.
Stephen King signed "The Stand", Ozzy signed biography, maybe a hardcover book signed by Abe Lincoln? Content such as that is extraordinarily large and may be untapped in these days of growth in hobbyists and the dollars associated with grading/verification services.

the market for treasuries and magazines specifically for CBCS is, admittedly, low. But they are under a small umbrella.

I just think there are hundreds of years of books, signed books, and the comic portion of those hardcovers is probably less than 0.1% of the total.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe I am misunderstanding your intent. I agree with you for the most part. It's the encapsulation portion that would become costly and ultimately unprofitable for most companies. If you look at how many different size books there are imagine providing a sealed encapsulation that could encompass all the variations.

When they asked for help on book dimensions for the original tmnt mirage books they wanted exact measurements for their magazine enclosure. They wanted actual owners to measure the books. The range of dimensions of books range wildly and there is no way to make something that is a universal fit. Imagine an enclopedia vs a paperback. The variation to encapsulate is huge.

But I agree with you that finding a way to authenticate books and somehow encapsulate them would be cool if possible. I'd say if you could vacuum seal a book somehow maybe that would work?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Yea.... I'm an engineer... I should be able to figure the engineering aspect out

Do you know if toys and games have limited different sizes or is there a tremendous variation in size? (I'm not familiar with games and/or toys grading)
Post 5 IP   flag post
Let me know when you figure it out, I've got 6 harry potter books in theory signed by Rowling that need encapsulation.....
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
That would be a nice idea.

Like Bronte said, I’m not sure about the encapsulation piece, though.

Silly question, though.

Do you not read your hard cover/ TPB collections, even if signed?

I feel like having a collection means I’d want to read it, so not sure if I’d want to encapsulate it, but that’s just me.

Or, are you just wanting the signatures verified?

Maybe just a verification certificate to put inside?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
the best you could do is get those plastic covers that cover the dust covers thereby keeping them in decent shape.

as for verification of sigs I think we are out of luck....unless it was a signed and numbered book that can be researched as such then the most you would get when selling is "signed/inscribed by XXXX and XXX auction house believes the signature to be authentic"
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie

If you are asking me, personally I don't read anything. However if I were inclined to want to read something I would buy a beat up copy. Kinda like CGC OR CBCS books. Keep graded for investment, raw for leisure or whatever.....
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Do you not read your hard cover/ TPB collections, even if signed?

I do! I have duplicates though of many in Trade format that is totally beaten up.
But y'know funny thing - as I was thinking about this answer I asked myself, isn't this the same topic that would frequently come up when CGC came into existence so many years ago! I think it might be!
The whole encapsulation topic and not being able to read the comic.
Post 10 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I think what @Nuffsaid111 is saying makes perfect sense. Collectors of signed, hardcover books (historical, vintage or otherwise) would want their books encapsulated, verified etc. for the exact same reasons we comic collectors do it, wouldn't they?

Now, if the question is, is this financially viable? That I don't know but certainly there would be a market if the costs were reasonable to the book collector.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I think I've finally found my start-up company in place of my current 9 - 5
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Signature authentication is available. Beckett should be able to authenticate those signatures. No encapsulation, but they will issue a certificate or letter of authenticity
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Signature authentication is available. Beckett should be able to authenticate those signatures. No encapsulation, but they will issue a certificate or letter of authenticity

The COA, I assume, would be separate from the book?.
Do you happen to know the "tie-in" between the book and the COA?
The reason I ask is I've heard/seen on dozens of other forums that "a COA is a useless piece of paper"
I dunno. I never know what drives people to form certain opinions anymore
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckett

Once a signature is deemed authentic, a half-inch oval tamper-evident label, with the alphanumeric BAS Certification number, is applied to the item. This label can only be applied to an object once, and can be removed, but will leave behind fragments of the label, preventing it from being reapplied to any other object.

In addition to the certification label, all BAS-certified items are issued either a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) or Letter of Authenticity (LOA) featuring the same alphanumeric certification number.

LOAs, in particular, also feature a high-resolution image of the exact item that was examined and authenticated by our staff and are printed on our specially watermarked paper
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I think I've finally found my start-up company in place of my current 9 - 5

Do it!

And since you’re an engineer I might have to work with you on another project I have.

I can come up with ideas all day long but making protypes isn’t my bag.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite

Thank you!
The application of the cert label to the item.... I think... is a deal breaker for me.
Back to my engineering of adjustable acrylic book cases for the cert label to be applied to the case
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 Yeah, staring at a picture of a signature for the rest of my life isn’t my preference so I’ll take the sticker
Post 18 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
When it comes to signed books; you would want to be able to open the book and see the signature. Also I don’t believe book grading/encapsulation would be a viable business. First editions and rare books are hardback and Books are pretty sturdy; The books “worth” encapsulation wouldn’t be able to enjoyed by those who seek them out.

My best example would be The Hobbit book “There and Back Again”. The art is as immersive as the story and is an experience in itself.

My 2 cents.
Post 19 IP   flag post
While I understand the goal, I don’t think every collectible needs to be encapsulated.

I love collecting video games but I find current video game grading a bit ridiculous

For one, they only grade sealed games, which means they are grading the box and the shrinkwrap. So you may spend hundreds or thousands buying a graded game with no guarantee it actually includes the game itself or any of the inserts as a result of a production error. Or maybe a disc-based game has come off its spindle and has been scratched to hell inside the case. Or an old cartridge game with a battery-backup now having a dead battery.

At least with comic grading the graders can actually examine the condition of the whole thing
Post 20 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
no way you could encapsulate hard covers etc.....the dimensions are too different from one to the next....at least with comics. magazines, video games etc. there are a limited number of sizes. Heck! the same hard cover could have different thicknesses depending on the edition i.e. normal vs deluxe (with extra XXX pages of notes, character studies, sketches etc. etc.)

Post 21 IP   flag post
I was simply looking to see if there was an existing company that does grading and signature verification on hardcovers... any hardcovers. I have much more than just comic related hardcovers (as does the rest of the world for that matter).

I just can't bring myself to have a half inch label applied to the book itself. I think the reasons for that are quite clear if we associate the same application of an external label directly on our comics

Maybe something similar to a CBCS raw grade with tamper proof labels on a bag? Bags can vary in mutliple sizes and are certainly cheap enough to manufacture.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111

Maybe an interior etching inside the cover?

I like the COA idea, but how do you keep it attached to the book is the main issue, I see.

It’s a good idea, and I’d be curious if the demand for it.

You might be ahead of your time.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
@Nuffsaid111

Maybe an interior etching inside the cover?

I like the COA idea, but how do you keep it attached to the book is the main issue, I see.

It’s a good idea, and I’d be curious if the demand for it.

You might be ahead of your time.

Thank you my friend. I appreciate the compliment!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
There are multiple reputable authentication services out there that all provide differing methods and services for packaging and so forth....I tend to like the company JSA for signed items for instance. James Spence authentication....they also provide an oval sticker attached to the item that is optional however, they also provide a typed letter of verification with a photograph of the authenticated item.

Some others to perhaps check on might be PSA and DNA, also recognized signature authenticators. I also enjoy having the BAS quick look option but that gives you no packaging nor does it provide any form of lasting verifiaction.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town Thank you for the info! appreciated. I'll look into the options you mentioned
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Sure thing and good luck with your chase, I have over a million signatures on everything from T shirts to trading cards, centerfolds to books, and it is never easy deciding what to frame, what to authenticate, and what to file in a sliding drawer cabinet.
As time passes some signatures that were rather "middle of the road" gain importance with someones passing or another event...and that then alters all your previous priorities as well.

By example back in my heyday collecting autographs I fired off a Hugh Heffner playboy card to his company almost as an afterthought just to see what happened..it came back hand signed nicely a month later. With his passing I am re-evaluating how frivalous that action seemed.

I used to correspond with a girl that worked for Hooters named Leeanne Tweeden.....she went on to win the Venus Swimwear International model search and wound up a well known model and sports commentator....she was later the woman who became engrossed in the accusations against Al Franken.Now her signed Hooters cards I see through a different light.

Gretchen stockdale, the los angels raiderette, was heavily involved in testimoney during the OJ simpson trial...her teamates from that raiderettes squad were Linda Sobek, who would later be murdered by Eric Rathbun a photographer. She served beside Patty Breton, the first raiderette ever featured fully nude for playboy magazine.....
In the early nineties you could write to the "Tooltime girl" c/o Home improvement....she was a model who had gained some fame posing for playboy and was featured on some art cards done by Olivier DeBernadais.....noone seemed to care, but I enjoyed sending the various cards to her for signatures...she would later become hollywoods golden girl in the series Baywatch, Pamela Anderson.

Over time the way you see your autographs, and the way they are stored, presented and packaged so its important to find the best options for YOU...
Post 27 IP   flag post
600625 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?