Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

What is going on with this?13913

Collector peterc777 private msg quote post Address this user
clickable text

I'm neither selling this nor bidding on it, but what is up with this?
Is there shill bidding going on?
X-men 1 is one of the highest printed and most widely available out there.
There doesn't seem to be anything special about this book, so why is the bid up to $560?
Any thoughts?

Front cover image for reference:

Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
The cover with cyclops and Wolverine variant has 1st appearance of omega red I think. I could be wrong on villan but it's definitely Wolverine and cyclops cover that is the one.

It was written about in gocollect a couple of weeks ago. I picked up a cheap cbcs copy after reading about it.

Edit my copy doesn't match exactly. I hope I got right variant.

https://blog.gocollect.com/omega-red-and-his-forgotten-cameo/
Post 2 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@peterc777 - It looks like stupidity at its finest IMO. The average price for this book in 9.8 over its last three sales at MCS is around $70. It's the direct edition, not a Newsstand or CPV, and looking at the full-size scans, I'd say that the grade was generous based on the corners. So I see nothing special or unique about this copy. Maybe the bidder thinks that the auction is for a dozen copies.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte - Mark, look at the back cover of your copy. I think you got the Newsstand Edition.

Edit:
I stand corrected, Mark. Your slab does say “E” on it I believe. My eye sight isn’t what it used to be.
Post 4 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
https://youtu.be/lpRn_wtCIyo

The you tube video explicitly shows omega red in the centerfold only on Wolverine and cyclops cover. The others have random centerfolds.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Good question. Maybe there are rumors of a new movie with the Acolytes? Sadly, I don't own one of these and won't be getting one at that price
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte The one at auction is cover “C”. Yours, with the goldish lettering is cover “E”. Which was commonly referred to as the “Collector’s Edition”. The cover folds out almost like a poster.

“E” was the more sought after cover. It also features the same characters as “C”. I think you’re good.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@esaravo

At hospital. Can't look till I get home. I'll post when I get a chance
Post 8 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim you're correct there about those books
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector peterc777 private msg quote post Address this user
So it's just run-of-the-mill speculation. Ok, makes sense, I guess.
Post 10 IP   flag post
So, is GoCollect the modern equivalent to Wizard magazine?

They promote a book as solid spec & the market goes crazy?

I loved reading Wizard, but they were a big part of the speculation boom of the 90’s.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim go collect pricing reminds me of comic book values monthly.

Uneducated collectors pay drunk money on a book and it suddenly worth that
Post 12 IP   flag post
Well, they do have actual sales data. It just doesn’t update as quickly as GPA.

But I do think they’re feeding the current frenzy.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
So what you’re saying is that I should put this up for sale now? 😉

Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t understand the MCS auction either. Qualitycomix has nine copies of what appears to be the exact same cover in CGC 9.8 for $104 each incl. shipping on eBay currently.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@steveinthecity - I have seen a few instances where MCS has the same book listed for sale for less than it goes for in an auction. There’s a CBCS copy of the book in question for sale at MCS right now, for $101 or best offer. Makes absolutely no sense.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Deadpool "Rookie" cards in X-Force 1, X-Men-1 for $500 .... something is going on.
There's always been head scratchers for many years, but something lately is amiss.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Pandemic boredom, money to spend no vacation, loss of senses, take your pick
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Weird..MCS is the last place I expected that link to go to.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure if anyone saw this a few days ago.
It's specifically about the Sports card market, but the principles and content may be appropriate to some of the craziness with Deadpool cards, X-men inserts, Marvel trading cards, etc...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/12/investing/baseball-cards-markets/index.html
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim

I am glad people are starting to realize what gocollect is doing.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Morgd120 private msg quote post Address this user
So.. Which book has the greater(real)value 1C or 1E?
Post 22 IP   flag post
I finally was able to actually sit down and watch the YouTube completely and read the comments. The gatefold version has ALL the pinups so in theory I would imagine they are tied or the gatefold version has a slight edge....
Post 23 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
hey now!! mr excel says I have 5 of X-Men #1..guessing covers A to E??
Post 24 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@steveinthecity - I have seen a few instances where MCS has the same book listed for sale for less than it goes for in an auction. There’s a CBCS copy of the book in question for sale at MCS right now, for $101 or best offer. Makes absolutely no sense.
@esaravo

LOL @Esaravo that is my listing, maybe i should change the price from 101 to 1001.
Post 25 IP   flag post

Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@esaravo

LOL @Esaravo that is my listing, maybe i should change the price from 101 to 1001.

The winning bid was $605, so why not raise it to $599?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim

I am glad people are starting to realize what gocollect is doing.

It’s such a weird situation where comics are basically acting like their own little stock market.

At least with the actual market, we have standardized reporting, registration, etc...

GoCollect is trying to do that with sales data, but they are also acting like Motley Fool and giving advice.

I’ve definitely seen blogs cause issues to get hot and it can be troubling because it is pretty easy to manipulate the comic market.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie

There are always aberrations. Look at what happened with game stop. A bunch of folks decided to screw with the market and drive up cost. The manipulation was blatant and effect very real.

Comics may have its own niche, but there will always be blue chip stocks and speculation stocks. It's up to investors to do some research and see if their decisions make sense...
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@Jabberwookie

There are always aberrations. Look at what happened with game stop. A bunch of folks decided to screw with the market and drive up cost. The manipulation was blatant and effect very real.

Comics may have its own niche, but there will always be blue chip stocks and speculation stocks. It's up to investors to do some research and see if their decisions make sense...

Agree completely.

And to your point, GameStop happened in a regulated industry.

Imagine what happens when it’s not.

That’s what concerns me, but you’re right. If you’re going to swim in the ocean, you’d better be aware of sharks.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600882 30 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?