Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Canadian Price Variants 2.0 - Whitman too!!13896

Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Some randos I took home over the years that round out the collection

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
was looking for something else and came across more CPV..might have to pull then at some point and give them their own box?
sadly I remember getting these off the rack...so well ready by a young teen back in the day; bad for condition but good for the memories!!

I’ll take memories over condition every single time!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I really have to look through my boxes....never really paid attention to CPV but being from Canada I bet I have more than I think.
Until about 92 or 93 I bought almost all of my off the rack books from the only variety store in town that carried comics...while still no guarantee of CPV or even news stand edition it's still a good bet that a bunch were. Even post 93 (university years) I had no pull list at a shop and frequented 2 or 3 actual comic only stores in Ottawa as well as variety stores...I know from one of those dedicated comic stores that I was still buying news stand fresh off the rack (X-Files #1 as Newsstand in 95??)
Most everything new since then has been from my LCS so 20+years (actually remember going there as a treat when I was a kid (9,10,11?) and in the 'Big' city!!!)

CPV might be an avenue to offload some books that would otherwise be dollar bin...not sure if people actually pay the prices on ebay but again...dollar bin books in VF- condition and they are asking $10 to $30..and heaven forbid if it's even a minor key book then the $$ get really crazy!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Dang!! looked through a few boxes last night....tons of news stand - inferno, atlantis attacks, evolutionary war, invasion and invasion aftermath..but no CPV!!!

I thought CPV were mainly 1983 to 1988...and I would have been buying heavily off the rack from 1986 to 1992 (almost exclusively from the 1 variety store in town!!)
My first job was paying $2.95 per hour...after school job at the pharmacy/hardware store - it was a small town!! and when I got my $30 bucks a week or so I could buy basically 1 of everything the only store in town with comics had and still have $15 to take home!!

Oh well....will keep looking through boxes until I find my TMNT Adventures #1 - have 2 of them but not sure where!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
A few more!

Post 30 IP   flag post

A few more cpv from the boxes!

Post 31 IP   flag post
man..those Captain America are beat up!! don't blame 12yr old me!! only way to get books home was either to shove the bag down my tucked in shirt while riding my bike home or hang the bag off the handlebars and occasionally knee them!! then the reading and re-reading!!! that said a press could do wonders for them still!! might have to get my own and do some tests!!!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I don't follow Price or Whitman variants, so I don't know when one is special or normal, or if it's purely a preference thing.

Then there's yellow and white Whitman's

I think I have only 2 Whitman's; A Scamp #25 and this Buck Roger #14 white Whitman double cover.

Post 33 IP   flag post
@Siggy double cover!!! nice!!!
Post 34 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Siggy double cover!!! nice!!!

Thanks Is it? LOL
Because of the covers, or that in addition to something Whitman-ny?

Like I said, I know little about what makes this Whitman or that Whitman cool. Now, I always think a double cover is cool, but ordinarily I'd figure this one to be "ho hum" since there don't seem to be anything but Whitman's for this issue and the ones surrounding it (only #1-6 have Gold Key and Whitman).

This is one I 'cheated' on, tbh. I have 8 double covers, and this is the first one I purchased that was advertised as a double cover, so both the seller and I knew it. The last two (same situation) were from @esaravo. The first 5 in my collection were surprise finds 'in the wild'. I know some people who've collected steadily since childhood and they've never found one. Crazy hobby.
Post 35 IP   flag post
@Siggy oh..well whitman is nice and all and there are books that are only whitman... but double cover!!! is even better - variant or not! I only have 2 double covers and in both cases neither seller or buyer (me) knew they were - a nice surprise when found!
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Siggy oh..well whitman is nice and all and there are books that are only whitman... but double cover!!! is even better - variant or not! I only have 2 double covers and in both cases neither seller or buyer (me) knew they were - a nice surprise when found!

If it's you're thing, it's one of the moments in collecting that really stands out, and kinda spoils the coolness factor for disclosed double covers since the price likely reflects the 'error' to some degree. I feel bad about it too. I don't smile at them the way I do my own kids- I mean discoveries.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Another box find...love these handbooks, always read multiple times!

Post 38 IP   flag post
Thinking that a youth spent digging through bins in Canadian comic shops or buying off the wall has resulted in many unknown CPV in my collection!!

Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Thinking that a youth spent digging through bins in Canadian comic shops or buying off the wall has resulted in many unknown CPV in my collection!!

This book is selling for a lot in 9.4+
Post 40 IP   flag post

Post 41 IP   flag post

Post 42 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
One more left to get

Post 43 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley which one are you looking for?
Post 44 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Still looking for #4. May do upgrades on #3 and 5.
Post 45 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user

Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Still looking for #4. May do upgrades on #3 and 5.

Thought I could help out, but it was just a VF #3 that I have.
Post 47 IP   flag post

Post 48 IP   flag post
600906 48 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?