Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Canadian Price Variants 2.0 - Whitman too!!13896

Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Couldn't see if another thread had been created to continue the old!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector dalvar private msg quote post Address this user
I have the variants.... unopened as of this time. Will send them in when cbcs is a bit more on the ball....
Post 2 IP   flag post

Post 3 IP   flag post
Currently working on picking up CPV Batgirl Special, Alpha Flight #1, Web of Spiderman #1 and Coyote #11..we'll see what conditions and prices I get back and then we'll see if I pull the trigger!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
I just sent CPV/Newsstand copies of TMNT Adventures #1, ASM #252 and Secret Wars #8 away to be pressed/cleaned & graded.

I’m not expecting super high grades but it’s also my first time having books cleaned/pressed so we’ll see. I’ll post the results once they come in.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Ended up with a set of Namor #1-4. I don't remember why I put this run together, but I think it was because I won #2-4 for dirt cheap in an ebay auction.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Put together the easy X-Factor run. The wrap on #4 is fugly, but it was a sight-unseen purchase from MCS.

Post 7 IP   flag post
I have a few copies of Dakota North #1 and 2 CPV. The only two issues in the run with CPV copies. I'm trying to be a snob and get 9.8 on one of each just to do it.

Post 8 IP   flag post
I believe these are the only two Whitmans I have. The Bookery seemed to get Whitman copies in on a regular basis for the past couple years.

Post 9 IP   flag post
I need to contact customer service because I would like to get #26 reholdered, but the serial number shows as invalid. Methinks it was one of the numbers lost in that data loss a while back. I've considered putting together a run of GI Joe CPVs, just not sure if I want to pull the trigger on it yet.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Since I live less than an hour from the border, Canadian copies turn up fairly frequently. Here are a couple that I pulled out of my current reading:

And a few Whitman copies as well:

I used to love those Whitman multi-packs as a kid. I remember back when I was around 10 or 11 years old, my grandmother bought maybe half a dozen of these with the intention of socking them away and dispensing them a bag at a time here and there. Needless to say, I read them all before the end of the first day😁.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley

And then post your GI JOE 21 CPV in 9.8 so we can all bask in its glory.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Not exactly a 9.8 but...

Post 13 IP   flag post
A few of the ones I have slabbed that I could get to. The Alpha Flights I got for less than the cost of slabbing so why not. Still trying to put a 9.2+ set together of the run.

Post 14 IP   flag post

My personal favorite CPV:

Post 15 IP   flag post
@Hcanes nice books!!

Tales of Teen Titans 44 is one I need to get in a CPV!!
Apparently the Thor 337 also has a Mark Jewelers variant...that's all I need to have all the versions
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Hcanes Awesome books! I sent a few of mine down, mostly ones that I think can hit the 9.6 to 9.8 mark (hopefully). I should have the results in 2022 or whenever the pressing and grading are done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes
@Studley_Dudley

And then post your GI JOE 21 CPV in 9.8 so we can all bask in its glory.

I am considering it. I almost bought a #21 a couple years ago, but I couldn't justify the price at the time. Not sure I could now either. Currently, I am working on finishing off my Dazzler CPV run (need four issues w/ #33 and 41 proving extremely difficult to locate) and Punisher (missing #2 & 4). I intend to start on my Transformers #1-19 CPV run after that, though I may push up buying a #1 just because prices went stupid on it for a while.

The hunt for nice CPV copies (and pence for that matter) has kept my interest going and to me, it's super fun to track them down. I have to send a message to a gentleman on the CGC forum about some X-Men pence copies soon. Anyone have solid sellers of CPVs they would recommend? I tried a WTB thread across the street, but felt like I appraising other people's issues that they would then not sell to me.
Post 17 IP   flag post
A few random CPVs

Post 18 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley I reach out to Doug Sulipa for random Alpha Flight issues from time to time.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Doug has been solid to work with but he doesn't have the ones I'm looking for. Georges at MG Comics in Montreal has a crazy selection too. His prices are a bit high, but the quality is out of this world.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley never purchased from MG Comics...like you say...the prices are a bit high!

Sadly...I've really gotten to like Dougs website!! at least better I find than Chucks!!
Post 21 IP   flag post
was looking for something else and came across more CPV..might have to pull then at some point and give them their own box?
sadly I remember getting these off the rack...so well ready by a young teen back in the day; bad for condition but good for the memories!!

Post 22 IP   flag post
@KatKomics IMO at a minimum put them in their own section. Especially if you got an extensive collection. I've wasted many hours looking for a book due to not remembering what box it was in. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcanes
@KatKomics IMO at a minimum put them in their own section. Especially if you got an extensive collection. I've wasted many hours looking for a book due to not remembering what box it was in. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I agree. Currently, I only have my X-Men CPV run separate. The rest are all mixed with their US priced counterparts. I'll change that as I go. Thing #1-36 all have CPVs. I might put that together next since they don't seem particularly difficult to track down. 33 to go.

Post 24 IP   flag post
My incomplete Alpha Flight run. I still have a long way to go. A few of the doubles were due to poor inventory tracking/memory. I thought I had a CPV #33, but maybe it was just a newsstand. I need to double check as outside of #1, that is the priciest AF issue.

This is one of my favorite covers from the run:

The infamous white out issue. The one on the left looks more like yellow now.

Not this exact copy, but the direct edition version was the first comic I ever received. This started it all.

The 2nd comic I ever received:

Post 25 IP   flag post
Some randos I took home over the years that round out the collection

Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
was looking for something else and came across more CPV..might have to pull then at some point and give them their own box?
sadly I remember getting these off the rack...so well ready by a young teen back in the day; bad for condition but good for the memories!!

I’ll take memories over condition every single time!
Post 27 IP   flag post
I really have to look through my boxes....never really paid attention to CPV but being from Canada I bet I have more than I think.
Until about 92 or 93 I bought almost all of my off the rack books from the only variety store in town that carried comics...while still no guarantee of CPV or even news stand edition it's still a good bet that a bunch were. Even post 93 (university years) I had no pull list at a shop and frequented 2 or 3 actual comic only stores in Ottawa as well as variety stores...I know from one of those dedicated comic stores that I was still buying news stand fresh off the rack (X-Files #1 as Newsstand in 95??)
Most everything new since then has been from my LCS so 20+years (actually remember going there as a treat when I was a kid (9,10,11?) and in the 'Big' city!!!)

CPV might be an avenue to offload some books that would otherwise be dollar bin...not sure if people actually pay the prices on ebay but again...dollar bin books in VF- condition and they are asking $10 to $30..and heaven forbid if it's even a minor key book then the $$ get really crazy!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Dang!! looked through a few boxes last night....tons of news stand - inferno, atlantis attacks, evolutionary war, invasion and invasion aftermath..but no CPV!!!

I thought CPV were mainly 1983 to 1988...and I would have been buying heavily off the rack from 1986 to 1992 (almost exclusively from the 1 variety store in town!!)
My first job was paying $2.95 per hour...after school job at the pharmacy/hardware store - it was a small town!! and when I got my $30 bucks a week or so I could buy basically 1 of everything the only store in town with comics had and still have $15 to take home!!

Oh well....will keep looking through boxes until I find my TMNT Adventures #1 - have 2 of them but not sure where!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
A few more!

Post 30 IP   flag post
600891 48 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?