Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

Will the real 6.0 please stand up. CBCS vs cgc13884

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics - Cool. If you do end up wanting to put in offer, please let me know first so I don't decline you.

Cheers
Post 26 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I won't even pretend the play the "well you really can't see everything in the comic and the page color" game to try to justify the same grade.

If there's no cutouts, clippings, or lengthy interior tears on cbcs, then that gigantic, monstrosity of a crease on the CGC tells the tale for me. Not to mention the giant spine creases and dull cover
Post 27 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 - I am not sure what is more appropriate to your comments

A) Nuffsaid
B) Mic drop
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
That was a complete miss on CGC. No way that book is a 6.0 with that huge cease.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_kruss
CBCS all the way.

Concur, at least per Overstreet...
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
I wish I had taken pics of the Darkwing Ducks I found on the weekend. One even had what looked like coffee stains on the INSIDE of the case, another had like a bite dent on the backside corner. Forget what issue the third one had. ALL 9.8 CGCs. What a mess that place has been lately.
Post 31 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I won't even pretend the play the "well you really can't see everything in the comic and the page color" game to try to justify the same grade.

If there's no cutouts, clippings, or lengthy interior tears on cbcs, then that gigantic, monstrosity of a crease on the CGC tells the tale for me. Not to mention the giant spine creases and dull cover

Ditto that!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
The CBCS. The CGC looks 5.0 tops; PQ is probably the saving grace. I’d rather take the hit on PQ; not much difference between “off white” and “cream/off white”.
Post 33 IP   flag post
....... and yet I'm on a number of forums where I still see posts of "I would only ever buy CGC". Then you ask "why do you feel that way"?
I get the irritated response "because they're better" ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook. How are they better? "They're just better" or an angry "because they're worth more".

I've just simply given up trying to understand anything anymore.
When something is blue, but it's actually red and someone wants to believe it's blue - It's time to call it a day.
Post 34 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 - IMHO, I think the only legitimate argument for cgc over CBCS is if you are looking strictly to sell and attain maximum sales dollars....At this stage. But even that is waining and I believe will continue too change as CBCS gains acceptance and acknowledgment that theirs is a higher quality product with more accurate, consistent, and stringent standards with an arguably superior encasement.

A lot of you know that in 2018 I decided to grade and encase my whole collection, part for permanent or long term collection and part for sale. Ran some tests in early 2019 with CBCS after previous experience with cgc Went all in with CBCS in 2019 and happy I did. And, that was before the new encasements were announced.

I will continue to send in to CBCS.
Post 35 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
The CGC Wolverine 50 appears to have a tiny corner crease lower right.
Post 36 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh

You mean in ADDITION to 6" of the claw die cut being torn off???
Post 37 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
That cgc surfer 1. Remove the diagonal corner crease and it would not look out of place in a 6.0 case 👍
Post 38 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
Quote:

Nah, the claw tear is on the CBCS book, but its corners are perfect, so definitely still 9.8 😉
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy

Oooooooo....... that’s not good. CBCS should have caught that.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Though I've sent a few books to both companies with satisfying results, I don't slab my books as a rule.

When I buy slabbed comics, I do it based on the book and price (and other things like feedback/reputation), rather than the label, excluding PGX of course. This has resulted in my buying slabs from both companies, and in my experience they both do a fine job, and from what I can see in other examples they both make mistakes.

For me, it's the book, and how I feel it looks for the asking price, and compared to similar in/near grade slabs. I have no desire to pledge allegiance to either one as long as they both do the job well.

If the day comes that I need to sell my keys, I'll go with the company that is more likely to make more money, including perhaps a company that doesn't yet exist.
Post 41 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
@Nuffsaid111 - IMHO, I think the only legitimate argument for cgc over CBCS is if you are looking strictly to sell and attain maximum sales dollars...

I think people who sell CBCS books for less then their equivalent CGC counterpart do so out of not knowing. I've sold both CGC and CBCS books and I never discount CBCS books. Why would I? They're more accurately graded and their case is superior....if anything CGCs should be discounted, not the other way around. In all my years of selling (long in time but not huge in volume) I can recall 1 person saying I should sell the CBCS book for less. I did not sell it for less and educated the customer as to why.
Post 42 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
Quote:

Nah, the claw tear is on the CBCS book, but its corners are perfect, so definitely still 9.8 😉

Ya got me. Didn't look to see which one you were referring to. My bad.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Agreed, but I am more referring to selling in straight auctions. In the auctions there has been a clear gap in the sales prices, but that seems to be narrowing, and I suspect that narrowing will continue to parity and quite possibly CBCS garnering a consistently higher price if the current QC of both companies continues with their current trends.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector Robodog private msg quote post Address this user
My FF2 has a crease from the right side to the middle bottom and got a 6.5. The rest of the cover is quite nice, though! But to the point of the OP, the obvious answer is the CBCS slab for better presentation!

Post 45 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@Robodog - Very nice FF2
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
@Robodog - Very nice FF2

I second that.
Post 47 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
I believe this is no contest, CBCS FOR THE WIN! By the way, that cgc book has a pretty big color break in it. just saying
Post 48 IP   flag post
I have books a CGC now that i was hoping could e returned so that i can grade them here. I'm going to leave them there so i don't have to eat the shipping and just didn't send them all the way to Florida for nothing.that will be my last go around with those guys, anymore its cbcs!
Post 49 IP   flag post
I saw an individual on FB indicate he's going to submit to CGC because he will likely get a higher grade.
I get it; but I don't get it.
Post 50 IP   flag post
@Nuffsaid111 That's what i thought!!! lol . I was deceived as many were also.
Post 51 IP   flag post
The upside for me is that they're modern books and more then likely wouldn't grade much different than here. The cbcs holder is still way nicer so maybe after they come back ill switch them out. hahaha
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I saw an individual on FB indicate he's going to submit to CGC because he will likely get a higher grade.
I get it; but I don't get it.

I sent about 150 books to CGC last year strictly for resale purposes, for faster salability. For strictly making money, CGC has the notoriety and thus far has been an easier sell.
CGC is also, in my experience/opinion, more likely than CBCS to over/undergrade, which can turn into a resubmission gamble to get an overgraded slab. I’ve got one last small batch at CGC then it’s all CBCS all the way, for a multitude of reasons.

I do miss buying CBCS graded slabs for under FMV, lol. Most of my PC is CBCS as a result, and I personally prefer them over any other grading company.
Post 53 IP   flag post
@Joosh Ditto, i would like to think you are paying for the name with them not the grade. I sent those moderns to them with hopes of them all coming back 9.8's. I'd rather someone give me an honest grade than false one just for resale.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
When I buy slabs and my choices are CBCS and CGC, I pay for the best looking comic for the price. As I always say, I'll happily buy a 7.0 if it looks better than an 8.0
At that point the name on the label doesn't matter. It's all about the book for me- my collection is where my loyalties lie.
Post 55 IP   flag post
600878 59 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?