Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

MSH Secret Wars #7 printer error?13872

Collector surfstation private msg quote post Address this user
I recently bought a copy of MSH Secret Wars 7 from a great seller on EBay. The issue is in great condition, but it has a printing error where the cover image shifted up. This leaves the titles on top partially cut off and a little extra blank room on the bottom. What does it do to the valuation?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
The bad news is that it most likely does not help the value of it.

It might be a nice oddity to add to your collection, but in most cases, printing errors don't add much value unless there's a good reason.

For example, double covers, which makes it to where at least one cover should be in great shape, or if that Secret Wars cover had a Hulk 181 in it as part of a printing error.

But, if you like the book and the cover, I'd say enjoy it; just don't expect to make bank on it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the forum, @surfstation. Do you have a picture that you could post?

From your description, depending how far the titles have been shifted, it may not have a large impact on the grade. Still, it could make the book less desirable to buyers than other issues with covers that are not shifted.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfstation
I recently bought a copy of MSH Secret Wars 7 from a great seller on EBay. The issue is in great condition, but it has a printing error where the cover image shifted up. This leaves the titles on top partially cut off and a little extra blank room on the bottom. What does it do to the valuation?

There’s a market for error books. If you want to sell let me know.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
Depends on the market and what someone wants. A perfect example is venom lethal protector 1 black error cover. A 9.2 recently sold for 5k.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
This isn’t really a printer error; it’s a cutting error. Printing errors are to do with colors wrong; binding errors are mult covers, wrong covers, switched pages. Cutting errors, unless missing paper, usually don’t detract from Grade unless otherwise perfect book, but they can detract from marketability fir some but add to marketability fir others. Takes the right buyer.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
The bad news is that it most likely does not help the value of it.

It might be a nice oddity to add to your collection, but in most cases, printing errors don't add much value unless there's a good reason.

For example, double covers, which makes it to where at least one cover should be in great shape, or if that Secret Wars cover had a Hulk 181 in it as part of a printing error.

But, if you like the book and the cover, I'd say enjoy it; just don't expect to make bank on it.

These would be production errors. The blue Galactus in some MSH SW #1's would be a printing error.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@Siggy fair enough.

Would you agree that the error the op mentioned doesn’t make the book more valuable, though?

I’m sure there are some people who might like an odd book, but from my experience, it needs to be a valuable book to start out.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
@Cyranno is right on the money! Now an issue where the publisher caught an error, let's say Secret Wars #1 where Galactus went to press with incorrect coloring before they caught it and then changed it to the correct colors. That is a printing error that will up the price of the book. Hope this helps.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector surfstation private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks to all! Very helpful!
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Lets call it what it really is...... A mis-cut cover. I know of nobody that actively seeks out mis-wrapped or mis cut covers. They have literally no eye appeal to me and I would not even seek one out even at a discount price as opposed to finding one with a nicely centered cover.
Post 11 IP   flag post
601289 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?