Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Your Undervalued Comic13775

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Not so much that I think it’s undervalued so much as I think the market has overvalued the wrong comic. I guess with the Phantasm appearing in King’s Batman/Catwoman series for some reason the market has picked up on Batman & Robin Adventures Annual #1 with a lot of sellers claiming it is the first appearance of the Phantasm, despite that book coming out three years after and as a sequel to the movie this book adapts. Maybe scarcity might be an issue but I find that unlikely. As for the first appearance confusion, this isn’t even a Wolverine or Gambit issue where hairs can be split about cameos/full appearances or books released within a month of each other. So I’m just confused

Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Not so much that I think it’s undervalued so much as I think the market has overvalued the wrong comic. I guess with the Phantasm appearing in King’s Batman/Catwoman series for some reason the market has picked up on Batman & Robin Adventures Annual #1 with a lot of sellers claiming it is the first appearance of the Phantasm, despite that book coming out three years after and as a sequel to the movie this book adapts. Maybe scarcity might be an issue but I find that unlikely. As for the first appearance confusion, this isn’t even a Wolverine or Gambit issue where hairs can be split about cameos/full appearances or books released within a month of each other. So I’m just confused

Can't we say the same thing about Batman Adventures 12? Harley was a creation of a TV series. Then she got way overused like characters such as the Punisher, Wolverine, and Venom since she got popular.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonk
On the topic of screen time, I would say a good chunk of DC characters have room to grow. Just make sure you sell between the announcement and the release date

lol!!! yeah..DC movies release dates are a killer...well, not at the box office, more a killer of potential and hope for something better
Post 53 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Can't we say the same thing about Batman Adventures 12? Harley was a creation of a TV series.

I’m not sure I see the similarity you are trying to point out. Just that they were both created for other media? While that is true it’s not the situation I was discussing at all. Phantasm and Harley were created for the film/tv show respectively but Batman Adventures 12 is Harley Quinn’s first comic book appearance. Batman & Robin Adventures Annual is not the Phantasm’s. The Mask of the Phantasm adaptation clearly is.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Can't we say the same thing about Batman Adventures 12? Harley was a creation of a TV series.

I’m not sure I see the similarity you are trying to point out. Just that they were both created for other media? While that is true it’s not the situation I was discussing at all. Phantasm and Harley were created for the film/tv show respectively but Batman Adventures 12 is Harley Quinn’s first comic book appearance. Batman & Robin Adventures Annual is not the Phantasm’s. The Mask of the Phantasm adaptation clearly is.

Yes, that the characters were created for other media. Fingers crossed that Nuffsaid111 likes my post...LMAO.

Post 55 IP   flag post

I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmisty4me
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterc777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntergreene2
West Coast Avengers 7, 1st App. Jeff the Baby Land Shark. I luv Jeff! Anyone know if the upcoming Deadpool 10 is his first cover app?

I know he's on a variant cover for the current Deadpool series:

But I'm not sure if there's an earlier cover appearance.

Hilarious visual reference, but they chickened out on how much butt we see.

Yeah, for a DEADPOOL (homage) cover such as this, I would have anticipated at least a tiny bit of crack showing.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmisty4me
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterc777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntergreene2
West Coast Avengers 7, 1st App. Jeff the Baby Land Shark. I luv Jeff! Anyone know if the upcoming Deadpool 10 is his first cover app?

I know he's on a variant cover for the current Deadpool series:

But I'm not sure if there's an earlier cover appearance.

Hilarious visual reference, but they chickened out on how much butt we see.

Yeah, for a DEADPOOL (homage) cover such as this, I would have anticipated at least a tiny bit of crack showing.

This is a little better.

Post 57 IP   flag post
on my work computer so I can't upload pics of my issue but Brave and the Bold #54

I mean...they are what...the 4th oldest major silver age team that is still in publication? (JLA, FF, XMen then TT? am I missing a team??)
They have had cartoons, now an iffy live action show...not sure they will ever get some mega event to really jump the book into the stratosphere but it is a solid book that is hard to find in decent condition and will only continue to rise in value...worst case it holds value

Can even then go for other appearances BB60, Showcase#? then TT#1(the first TT) all of those issues are relatively cheap. BB60 is a bit pricey but it is the 1st appearance of wonder girl - wait till DC makes a train wreck of a movie with her for the price to really get out of control!!
Post 58 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics Some of these teams may not be considered major but here's a few more...

Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
Doom Patrol
Legion of Superheros
Post 59 IP   flag post
Forgot about Avengers..so 1963 would pre date BB54

I would put Doom Patrol and Legion as so so on the major teams.....63 and 58
Legion had a good run in the 60's but really nothing of note since.
Too bad for Doom Patrol...never really made it main stream (even with the new show) and the X-Men were a direct rip off of them!

Guardians I would not call a major team...bunch of D class characters who go that mega event to draw attention to them (1969)

Guardians is a good example though of what a good movie can do to books

Teen Titans also has some fairly old characters Kid Flash (59), Robin (40), Aqualad (60), and then later adding Speedy (1941)

Still though....even with these extra teams TT are still in the top 10 or so oldest teams (with some fairly old characters) and I think under priced when compared against the first appearance of most of the others mentioned
Post 60 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user

just got this back yesterday. I remember this book being somewhat a major key back in the eary 80's. I think it's insanely cheap
Post 61 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66

just got this back yesterday. I remember this book being somewhat a major key back in the eary 80's. I think it's insanely cheap

nice!!!

guess cheap is all relative!! yes, much less expensive than other teams first appearances but still waaaayyyyyy out of my price range for anything above well...2.5 like yours or a 3.0 (and even those ain't cheap!)
Post 62 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
One book that consistently strikes me as way too cheap these days is first appearance of Ultron, Avengers 55. Of all the dead MCU bad guys he seems the most likely to regenerate somewhere.
Post 63 IP   flag post
If this character was handled correctly I think he would take off. The price on raw copies is pretty low.

Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Also, The Rocketeer. If you don’t have a nice copy of StarSlayer #2, I’d suggest putting it on your list. 9.8s are still relatively inexpensive. They were like $80 not too long ago. Now $150. And raw copies are cheap.

Post 65 IP   flag post
DC Comics Present #47

1st He-Man and Skeletor in comics...if DC ever decide to destroy this franchise with their horrible attempts at movies the price might take off!!!

9.4's are under $500....you may be lucky to find one with pressing potential??
Post 66 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
I've always thought Justice League of America 29, 1st appearance of the Crime Syndicate, was undervalued. I pick up copies of that book whenever I can get it up cheap.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
I've always thought Justice League of America 29, 1st appearance of the Crime Syndicate, was undervalued. I pick up copies of that book whenever I can get it up cheap.

great book!! I have a CGC 8.5 in for a press and change over to CBCS case...fingers crossed for a grade bump!!
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
on my work computer so I can't upload pics of my issue but Brave and the Bold #54

I mean...they are what...the 4th oldest major silver age team that is still in publication? (JLA, FF, XMen then TT? am I missing a team??)
They have had cartoons, now an iffy live action show...not sure they will ever get some mega event to really jump the book into the stratosphere but it is a solid book that is hard to find in decent condition and will only continue to rise in value...worst case it holds value

Can even then go for other appearances BB60, Showcase#? then TT#1(the first TT) all of those issues are relatively cheap. BB60 is a bit pricey but it is the 1st appearance of wonder girl - wait till DC makes a train wreck of a movie with her for the price to really get out of control!!

Yeah - Titans is a wildly undervalued title.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Daredevil books that kind of fly under the radar

Also, this in a slabbed 9.6 can be found for under a hundred dollars all day long

Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE

great book!! I have a CGC 8.5 in for a press and change over to CBCS case...fingers crossed for a grade bump!!

Good luck on the bump. I have a bunch of ungraded copies but just picked up an 8.0. I think Geoff Johns did a great job with the team in Darkseid Wars, but with DC's launch of Rebirth right after the storyline concluded, it killed a lot of potential momentum for the characters that storyline had built.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Shazam #27 - 1st Modern Kid Eternity, origin retconned to make Kid Eternity related to the Shazam Family. If he ever appears in a Shazam movie expect this book to blow up. Maybe...
Post 72 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66

I've always loved the Legion. Some great stories, but forever under the radar.

If someone can create a film based on groups that are basically unknown to most moviegoers, like the Eternals or the New Gods, why not the Legion?
Post 73 IP   flag post
597868 73 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?