Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeQuestions

Question: AF 1513753

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmisty4me
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@00slim Congrats!!! The #1 silverage book and top 5 all time book in my opinion. You should be very proud owning that gem. Awesome!!!!

Arguably the 3rd most important (super hero) book ever published.

I agree...there's a few other's too ofcourse, AC1, Tec27, Superman 1, Batman 1, All-Star 8, Sensation Conics 1 and Captain America 1. These are the only other super hero books that can be argued more important in my opinion....so AF15 is atleast in the top 8 most important book of all time.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmisty4me
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@00slim Congrats!!! The #1 silverage book and top 5 all time book in my opinion. You should be very proud owning that gem. Awesome!!!!

Arguably the 3rd most important (super hero) book ever published.

I agree...there's a few other's too ofcourse, AC1, Tec27, Superman 1, Batman 1, All-Star 8, Sensation Conics 1 and Captain America 1. These are the only other super hero books that can be argued more important in my opinion....so AF15 is atleast in the top 8 most important book of all time.

Well, you have to knock out Supes1, Bats1 & Sation1 cuz they're all subsequent appearances, so Spidey's bow is still Top 5!
Post 77 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Redmisty4me Good point but I was thinking value-wise but also Superman 1 I believe is the 1st superhero comic to get its own title, Bats 1 is 1st appearance of Joker and Catwoman....Sensation Comics 1, you're probably right.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Redmisty4me Good point but I was thinking value-wise but also Superman 1 I believe is the 1st superhero comic to get its own title, Bats 1 is 1st appearance of Joker and Catwoman....Sensation Comics 1, you're probably right.

True on all counts!

But Spidey!!
Post 79 IP   flag post
@Redmisty4me Lol!! Exactly!! Spidey!!! In terms of Super heroes (not comics) Spidey is top 3 I'd say, shoulder to shoulder with Superman and Batman.
Post 80 IP   flag post

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Here is CGC’s reply when I asked about submitting the book for a re-holder:

“Thank you for your email. Submissions postmarked after May 3, 2013, CGC will modify its grading standard and ignore the presence of tape if it serves a function (such as fixing a tear or spine split) and instead grade the book as if it was not present. Therefore, any existing defect will be graded accordingly. If the tape does not serve a function, the tape will be treated as a defect and the book will be downgraded. By doing this, books will still receive a Universal Label but the grade will better reflect the actual condition of the comic book.

So if the tape is not serving a function and doesn't significantly impact the presentation of the book the grade is not likely to change. Have a good weekend.”

I’m considering sending it in. If it takes a .5 hit or something, it’ll hurt, but at least it’ll be accurate & display better in a new case.

I would sub it as a re-holder but if they contact me, I’d probably have them review it for tape removal & a press screen. Might as well cover all the bases.
Post 81 IP   flag post
@00slim if I'm reading the email correctly, they used to downgrade tape (if it served a function: tear repair). After May 3, tape on a book functioning with a purpose will no longer take a grade hit. Your book has 3 pieces of tape on it that sound like its serving a purpose (spine, two on interior cover). It sounds like your AF15 might get a grade bump if you re-submit. I would seriously consider re-submitting (along with a Press and Clean) with a good chance increasing the grade.

Question for you. If you do decide to re-submit, will you crack it out first or send it in encapsulated? I ask because, do you think sending a book in to be re-graded in its case influences the graders if they know what grade it was already given? Is there less chance of a grade bump if CGC already graded it as a 4.0 ?
Post 82 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@00slim if I'm reading the email correctly, they used to downgrade tape (if it served a function: tear repair). After May 3, tape on a book functioning with a purpose will no longer take a grade hit. Your book has 3 pieces of tape on it that sound like its serving a purpose (spine, two on interior cover). It sounds like your AF15 might get a grade bump if you re-submit. I would seriously consider re-submitting (along with a Press and Clean) with a good chance increasing the grade.

Question for you. If you do decide to re-submit, will you crack it out first or send it in encapsulated? I ask because, do you think sending a book in to be re-graded in its case influences the graders if they know what grade it was already given? Is there less chance of a grade bump if CGC already graded it as a 4.0 ?

The whole history of CGC & tape is actually MUCH more complicated/controversial, but good post in terms of this thread's issues.
Post 83 IP   flag post
@Redmisty4me Thanks!! I'll look that up!
Post 84 IP   flag post
@GAC From what I understand, a different department cracks the book out at CGC. The presser & grader are not informed it is a resubmission.
Post 85 IP   flag post
I’ve never submitted a book this pricey for grading before. I knew it would be expensive but hadn’t figured it would cost this much.

Post 86 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Stu private msg quote post Address this user
Cost me $1,000 when I did it for mine.
Post 87 IP   flag post
I’ll put it on the back burner & start setting a little aside. It needs to be done, but I wouldn’t call it urgent.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
You just got the book, so enjoy it for a while. That is quite a bit to have the book regraded though.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

"Ignore the presence of tape if it serves a function (such as fixing a tear or spine split) and instead grade the book as if it was not present" means whatever purpose for the tape, the defect that it was repairing will be graded as if the tape were not present. If the tape on Slim's AF15 were used to serve a purpose the book will be graded as if the tape were not present. So, a book with 3 pieces of tape that're being used to hold the cover to the top staple would be downgraded to "cover detached from top staple" which would take a significant hit.

Unless Slim knows the reason for the tape, there is a lot of risk with having it regraded.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Given how sparingly the tape was used on the spine, my instinct is that they’re very small pieces to cover tears.

And since the two pieces are noted as being on “interior cover”, I don’t think they’re on the staples. But it is a bit unnerving.

I’m considering waiting for a crossover grading promotion at CBCS & have them look at the tape & see if it’s safe to remove it. Plus a Press screening.
Post 91 IP   flag post
601488 91 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?