Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeQuestions

Question: AF 1513753

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
So, I’ve got it in my head to possibly liquidate some pricy books to finally grab an AF 15.

If I was to put together $20k cash. Not PayPal, but all cash. Is a 3.5-4.0 possible?

Or would I have to settle for a 2.0-2.5? If so, I’ll forget about it for now.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Stu private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, very possible - especially right now.

I did just that a few years back to obtain mine. A small sense of loss, but in the big picture of things - I can always pick up what I traded.

I know a person who has a few AF15s and is willing to trade for silver/gold age key books. DM me if interested.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Following
Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim - A CGC 3.0 sold for $21,999 in an eBay auction that ended 1/3/21. Even with cash, a 3.5 might be hard to find at $20K. Once conventions start up again, and you can talk face-to-face with dealers, you might have a better chance. You would think it would be hard to turn down that much cash in person.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
I had no idea that book had gotten so pricy in lower grades...
Post 5 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@Redmisty4me my .5 set me back 7200
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user
I think you have a really good chance at a live show. Make them the best offer (for you) on the last day, maybe even the last couple of hours. Then you have extra leverage that it sat there unsold. Dealers usually have books they want to buy at the end.

Smaller dealer is probably better, bigger ones may be a consignment book and/or more likely tax honest.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
4.0 is not happening unless you find a guy getting a divorce looking for instant cash or another emergency situation.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66

Post 9 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim there are some CGC 3.5s floating around in the 25k range. Avg go collect is 21k (you probably new this). I feel 20k would be a reasonable offer.

Good luck on your search.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I’m in negotiations for a 4.0 with a small amount of tape on the cover. He approved the trade in theory. I just sent him Pics of what I have. Just waiting for the final word.

The tape bothers me a little, but I can always trade + cash for another copy. Simply having one is a big deal for me.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Trade approved.

My wife isn’t comfortable with me traveling 8 hours with COVID going on (she’s lost family to the virus, I can’t blame her for being a just a little paranoid).

So, this deal is by mail. BUT it’s a well established dealer.

Fingers crossed USPS takes true care of my books via Registered mail.
Post 12 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim WOW!!! Congratulations!!!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmisty4me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66

Right?
Thank Odin I bought my 0.5 eight years ago ($2400). Otherwise I'd have to wait for the crash. It's crazy.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Trade approved.

My wife isn’t comfortable with me traveling 8 hours with COVID going on (she’s lost family to the virus, I can’t blame her for being a just a little paranoid).

So, this deal is by mail. BUT it’s a well established dealer.

Fingers crossed USPS takes true care of my books via Registered mail.

Wow, that was fast. Is the book graded 4.0 by a third party or the dealer? Maybe you can get the tape off and have it regrade higher? though I’m sure both of you have thought of that.

Congratulations!
Post 15 IP   flag post
It’s a CGC 4.0. It’s a TINY piece on the spine & 2 on the interior cover. Here’s a couple pics.

Post 16 IP   flag post
Still a solid display by any standard!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Still a solid display by any standard!

Absolutely. Thanks for the lead, @Stu!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Sure thing - happy to have helped. Here is a pic of my AF15:

Post 19 IP   flag post
@00slim Looks great love the date stamp.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It’s a CGC 4.0. It’s a TINY piece on the spine & 2 on the interior cover. Here’s a couple pics.

If you don’t mind to share what you traded for it. I love it congrats.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Zombie_Head I’ll PM you.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Zombie_Head I’ll PM you.
we all want to know
Post 23 IP   flag post
@Batman66

I’ll just post an abbreviated version of my message to Zombie_Head:

Some big books:

TOS 39 4.0
TOS 52 8.0 White pages
TMNT 1 (2nd print) 9.0 Signed & sketched by Eastman
Daredevil 1 3.0
ASM 5 5.5
Hulk 181 6.5
House of Secrets 92 8.0

I’ll be replacing the House of Secrets & TOS 52 as soon as possible. I’ll take my time with others.

I expected to sell my entire collection to get this one day. It’s my grail of grails. And a 4.0 was the highest i ever expected to score. So, while I gave up big books, it’s a literal life goal, achieved.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@00slim congrats. I would have done that deal in a heartbeat, congrats
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim Good for you I myself have thought about selling off all my books for one Mega-Key. Hardest thing is which one as there are so many I want.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim nice one mate. Easier to pick up what you traded back. And if you don't manage to get back all you traded it doesn't matter. You picked up a book you always wanted but thought you'd never get 👍
Post 27 IP   flag post
@southerncross Thanks! My thinking exactly.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Post 29 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Wow.

I have comparable books. Too bad there isn't another af15 around for that kind of deal
Post 30 IP   flag post
600858 91 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?