Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Movie Collectors: New Additions/Anticipated Releases Thread13702

Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Still unopened with hopefully a 9.8 reprint of Amazing Fantasy #15.

Post 101 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster Are you planning to open it and find out?
Post 102 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
@DWeeB1967 Do you think I should???
Post 103 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Man I don't know. I hate to suggest something and have it come back and bite you.

It's like when my brother asks me "who should I start?" questions in fantasy football. I hate answering because whoever I suggest always ends up having a crappy game. šŸ˜„

So I'm going to leave that up to you. But I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't curious.
Post 104 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Looking forward to this new Shout Factory release of Event Horizon!

Post 105 IP   flag post

I just ordered the MST3K vs. Gamera set from Shout Factory. Looking forward to checking it out.

Post 106 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
One of my all time favorite comedies was finally released on blu-ray sometime last year. They still want over $20 for it, but I picked it up when I had some Amazon credit.

This movie is a riot. Iā€™m a sucker for dark comedies & this one is just so much fun.

Side note: why is this movie R-rated? The violence is nothing you wonā€™t see on broadcast T.V. & thereā€™s like one single F-bomb. The only thing I can think of is, Amanda Peet is topless very briefly in two scenes. The MPAA is silly sometimes.

Post 107 IP   flag post
@00slim Happy Birthday! Or random date you set on your account. Either way, I hope you donā€™t die

Anyways, I found out Timeline was finally released a few months ago and I should be getting it in the mail tomorrow! It gets a lot of hate but I really enjoyed it and I say this having read the book before there was a movie! Now I just hope 13th Warrior gets a blu ray soon!

Post 108 IP   flag post
Just finished watching Timeline. The movie is a little rough around the edges but I still really enjoyed it. The disc however is basic as all hell. No special features at all, doesnā€™t even have the audio commentary from the dvd. This kind of thing is always annoying but you canā€™t really upgrade without losing something
Post 109 IP   flag post
Just got this in today (itā€™s like $6 on blu-ray on Amazon).

There was a discussion in a Facebook group asking which was better: Unforgiven, or Tombstone?

Iā€™ve never been big on Westerns, but Unforgiven is quite a movie. It has some legitimate depth.

The group was very divided about which was better, and Iā€™ve never seen Tombstone. If it rivals Unforgiven, I figured Iā€™d give it a spin.

Iā€™ll watch it tomorrow or Tuesday.

Thoughts?

Post 110 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim I love Unforgiven. Eastwood is a brilliant director. The cast is superb; Eastwood, Freeman, Hackman, Harris etc..In my opinion Tombstone was pretty good but not in the same league as Unforgiven...but I'm a big Eastwood fan.
Post 111 IP   flag post
@00slim Tombstone is a traditional western and a VERY good one. Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer are both excellent as Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday. Still, it's a traditional western.

Unforgiven, as you know since you've seen it, is a movie that DECONSTRUCTS the traditional western. It takes all of the cliches that we've seen in decades of westerns and turns them on their heads. It's also a VERY good movie.

In my opinion, it's almost impossible to compare the two since they are really opposite sides of the same western coin. Still, if you like movies, you owe it to yourself to watch Tombstone. I'm betting you'll like it.

I selectively like westerns. That is, I tend to be picky about the ones I like. Most of the formulaic westerns of the 50s and 60s bore me. Having said that, I can honestly say that I love both of these movies.

Let me/us know your thoughts when you watch Tombstone. šŸ‘
Post 112 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
@00slim Tombstone is a traditional western and a VERY good one. Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer are both excellent as Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday. Still, it's a traditional western.

Unforgiven, as you know since you've seen it, is a movie that DECONSTRUCTS the traditional western. It takes all of the cliches that we've seen in decades of westerns and turns them on their heads. It's also a VERY good movie.

In my opinion, it's almost impossible to compare the two since they are really opposite sides of the same western coin. Still, if you like movies, you owe it to yourself to watch Tombstone. I'm betting you'll like it.

I selectively like westerns. That is, I tend to be picky about the ones I like. Most of the formulaic westerns of the 50s and 60s bore me. Having said that, I can honestly say that I love both of these movies.

Let me/us know your thoughts when you watch Tombstone. šŸ‘

I agree completely. I also think these two movies are the two greatest Westerns ... but, as @DWeeB1967 said, for entirely different reasons. Tombstone plays fast and loose with story, and realism, and historical accuracy. It's just a fun - a VERY fun - action flick that happens to be set in the old west. And I think Val Kilmer's greatest role ... just fantastic, how that part was written, and what Kilmer did with it.

But if I HAD to ... then, of course, Unforgiven would be the greater of the two. Very powerful movie. It isn't the best of the genre; rather, it transcends the genre. Like all great movies do.
Post 113 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
You guys have got to watch this movie "Harpoon" https://amzn.to/3umaGeP

Post 114 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke I remember thinking the trailer was intriguing.
Post 115 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
I agree completely. I also think these two movies are the two greatest Westerns ... but, as @DWeeB1967 said, for entirely different reasons. Tombstone plays fast and loose with story, and realism, and historical accuracy. It's just a fun - a VERY fun - action flick that happens to be set in the old west. And I think Val Kilmer's greatest role ... just fantastic, how that part was written, and what Kilmer did with it.

But if I HAD to ... then, of course, Unforgiven would be the greater of the two. Very powerful movie. It isn't the best of the genre; rather, it transcends the genre. Like all great movies do.

Tombstone will entertain and somewhat educate you. Unforgiven will haunt you. I went to the theatre in the middle of the afternoon and saw Unforgiven when I was in my last year of college, so I'm thinking it was 1993? One of the few movies that I can remember when and where I saw it. I can remember walking through the parking lot afterwards...it sticks with you.
Post 116 IP   flag post
Oh, I totally forgot to share this one!

Iā€™d heard a lot of good things about ā€™Alone in the Darkā€™ (1982). The cast is pretty strong & Iā€™ve wanted to see it for a long time.

The problem is, the DVD is out-of-print & you canā€™t even rent it on Amazon Prime.

Well, I finally found it on e-bay for a reasonable price.

It was above average for its genre, but I wouldnā€™t call it a classic or anything. Itā€™s essentially a Slasher, but it builds like a slow burn Thriller with Slasher elements.

Itā€™s worth checking out if youā€™re a fan of the genre. Iā€™ve since found out itā€™s on YouTube in HD. Go figure.
Post 117 IP   flag post
So, yes, ā€˜Tombstoneā€™ was a very good Western. Val Kilmerā€™s Doc Holiday was certainly a standout.

It did feel a bit long, but never boring.

Given the choice, Iā€™d have to say I prefer ā€˜Unforgivenā€™.
Post 118 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Saw Countdown last night. I liked it a lot.

Post 119 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I hate posting stuff that I have in every ā€œmy.................collection.ā€ I feel like a spoiled husband.
Post 120 IP   flag post
600892 120 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?