Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Movie Collectors: New Additions/Anticipated Releases Thread13702

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
A lot of my out of print dvd copies are pretty poor quality. The ShoutFactory prints so far have been extremely high quality. Very happy with them so far.
Post 76 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
The Jurassic Park/Lost World DVD Collector’s edition. The best part is that includes the soundtracks to both movies

Post 77 IP   flag post
Special Editions of the first seasons of Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead and the Target-exclusive steelbooks of seasons 3-8, I think they stopped with the exclusive releases after that

Post 78 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 79 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I really enjoyed seasons 1-3 of TWD,.. after that, the show became weak IMO. And midway through season 3, Rick Grimes character went to sh!t. Andrew Lincoln over-dramatized the role, and overall, I never considered him to be a real leader. After S3, there were episodes, here and there, that were enjoyable.

The Governor eventually became well worn out.
Post 80 IP   flag post

I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Recently while looking through Wal-Mart's limited movie selection here in this little town I am temporally residing in at the moment, I came across....

Ghost In The Shell (live version with Scarlett Johansson) on Blu-Ray and 4K Ultra HD.

GITS is one of my all time favorite anime movies,... along with "Fist of the North Star, Akira, Ninja Scroll, etc...

While the live version of GITS does not quite live up to it's anime counterpart, it is still an awesome movie.
Post 81 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@Pre_Coder I definitely prefer the anime of GITS, but when the 4k version of the live action version was cheap, I jumped on it.

I watched a couple movies this week. I had never seen the Coen Brothers ‘Blood Simple’ (1984) & I saw it for the first time on HBO MAX. That movie was great. The burial scene was so dark & unsettling. I must have just been in the mood for a crime drama/Thriller.

I’m not an avid Coen brothers fan. I find them very hit & miss. But I might have to buy this one. The set-up is super basic, but it went places I didn’t expect.

I see there’s a Criterion release, but I can’t justify $40. I’ll have to put it on my wish list & see if the price drops.
Post 82 IP   flag post
Inspired by the Book Club starting this week I pulled out my Watchmen blu Rays

This is the original release of the Watchmen Ultimate Cut which incorporates the Tales of the Black Freighter, which was produced as a stand-alone, direct-to-video animated move. I think this version is probably a bit overlong and the Black Freighter isn’t incorporated especially well, certainly not to the same effect as it has in the graphic novel. That said, ai absolutely love seeing multiple cuts of the same film and Watchmen has 3.

This set includes the Ultimate cut on one disc, a disc of bonus features, a digital copy disc (back when a lot of releases used those), and blu-ray release of the motion comic. I still wonder if the set should’ve included the standalone Black Freighter release since the whole angle of this release was that it integrated the Black Freighter into the main film. That way all the elements would’ve been related to film and it’s supporting releases.

This was eventually re-issued a few years later in a collector’s edition that replaced the digital copy disc with a dvd of the theatrical version and included a copy of the comic in which case the motion comic makes a little more sense. This cut has since seen a release on 4K so the value of this version has dropped a lot since it’s original release.

So this is two things. It is mainly a physical release of the two-part Watchmen prequel game, The End is Nigh where you play as Nite Owl or Rorschach during their team-up days and beat up criminals. The game itself is forgettable but it includes a copy of the Watchmen Director’s Cut on blu-ray, my favorite version of the film and the game disc serves as the bonus features disc for the movie!

Post 83 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Oh cool I have the Watchmen game and movie set too.

@00slim I'll have to check out Blood Simple. The Coen brothers have a lot of hidden gems in the 80s, especially Joel.

So my wife and I finished the FLY collection bluray movie pack from ScreamFactory. It was glorious. Only the original Fly movie was in color, the 2 sequels were in black and white. I'm not a fan of black and white movies. It was fun watching the two remakes. I actually don't think I've ever seen FLY II with Eric Stoltz before. That movie was terrifying at the end after he "hatched" lol
Post 84 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke That’s so strange that the original was in color, while the sequels were black & white.

I have the original ‘The Fly’ on blu-ray, & I barely remember it. My release from 20th Century Fox is in color. I had to double check. I thought it was black & white. The cover would have you believe so.

I’ve never seen ‘The Fly II’ (1989). Did you know the screenplay was co-written by Frank Darabont?
Post 85 IP   flag post
No I didn't know that - that's cool. It was a great sequel.
Post 86 IP   flag post
@00slim IMDB suggests that the sequels being in black and white, in addition to people rewatching it at home on black and white tvs likely contributed to people remembering it as a black and white movie
Post 87 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite That makes sense. And the cover art being black & white doesn’t help me remember otherwise.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Here’s one I’d suggest if you can find it cheap.

‘12:01’ is a TV movie takes the basic premise of ‘Groundhog Day’ & takes it in a sci-fi adventure/comedy direction.

It’s just fun.

And it just happens to be Groundhog Day today . . .

Post 89 IP   flag post
I was in Wal-Mart today to get a few things and came across "Big Trouble in Little China" on blu-ray. I haven't seen that movie in,... well, a long time.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Here are Batman: Dark Knight Returns parts 1 & 2 and Death of Superman & Reign of the Supermen, along with Dark Knight Returns Deluxe and Death & Return of Superman each of which combines the two-part films into single films

Post 91 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite You’re quite the completist to have both releases of each. Very nice.

I have the single volume ‘Dark Knight Returns’ Deluxe edition. I LOVE that adaptation. It’s high on my list of the best Batman’s films made.

I was waiting for the ‘Death & Return of Superman’ to get the same deluxe treatment before I picked it up. I need to grab that. How does it compare in quality to the ‘Dark Knight Returns’ adaptation?
Post 92 IP   flag post
I haven’t watched the combined film but Death of Superman and Reign of the Supermen are really well done. The death of Superman is appropriately brutal though Superman’s death is a little silly, possibly taking some inspiration from Batman V Superman.

Interestingly, the combined movie also includes a blu ray of Superman: Doomsday, which was DC Animation’s first film and adapted the same material. The main differences are that Doomsday was more limited in scope, being a strictly Superman movie while Death of Superman was a full-on Justice League movie where Superman is the last line after everyone else has fallen.

The other difference is the length. Doomsday tried to cram the death AND return of Superman into one movie shorter than either of the two later films by themselves.
Post 93 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Funny thing, I picked up ‘Doomsday’ on DVD years ago upon the recommendation of a friend but still haven’t gotten around to it. 😆

I’ll check it out before I watch the Deluxe release of the new adaptation.
Post 94 IP   flag post
Man, Amazon only has the giftset version of the combined ‘Death & Return’ movie. I’ll see if I can find the version without the figurine in-store somewhere.
Post 95 IP   flag post
@00slim I think, like the combined Dark Knight Returns, the release of the combined Death and Return of Superman was limited and might only have been released with the figure in the US. I think Canada had a standalone release
Post 96 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite That seems to be the case. I can’t find one that’s just the movie.
Post 97 IP   flag post
Just got this in earlier this week:

Tourist Trap (1979) Uncut

This is the recent remaster/rerelease from Full Moon Features.

Chuck Connors (“The Rifleman”) plays an unhinged guy with telekinesis.

I have yet to watch this version. I may give it a spin shortly.

Post 98 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I know there are a few physical media collectors in the group. Feel free to share new collection purchases, anticipated releases & movies you’re hunting for.

In 2020, I finally grabbed the Criterion release of Kubrick’s ‘The Killing’ & my favorite old school Jackie Chan movie, ‘Police Story’.

I’ve wanted to upgrade my DVD of ‘Twilight Zone: The Movie’ to blu-ray but now it’s out of print & rather expensive. I’ll just have to hope for a blu-ray/4k rerelease.

But the movie that made me start this thread? They FINALLY released the 1990 TV movie ‘Buried Alive’ on blu-ray! The first movie Directed by Frank Darabont.

Such a fun low budget revenge Thriller!

What about you? Recent acquisitions? Any anticipated releases?

I just watched this movie a few days ago. I thought I had never seen it before, but upon viewing I realized I had but it had been so long I did not remember everything that was going to happen. Decent enough movie, but wouldn't make it on a list of my favorites, but good enough to recommend to a friend.
Post 99 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Here’s a nice gem (I think) from the 80’s slasher era. Tough to find on VHS bought it about 20 years ago at a video store that went out of business. It’s a decent watch if you haven’t seen it.

Post 100 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Still unopened with hopefully a 9.8 reprint of Amazing Fantasy #15.

Post 101 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@OGJackster Are you planning to open it and find out?
Post 102 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
@DWeeB1967 Do you think I should???
Post 103 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Man I don't know. I hate to suggest something and have it come back and bite you.

It's like when my brother asks me "who should I start?" questions in fantasy football. I hate answering because whoever I suggest always ends up having a crappy game. 😄

So I'm going to leave that up to you. But I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't curious.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Looking forward to this new Shout Factory release of Event Horizon!

Post 105 IP   flag post
601333 120 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?