Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original Artwork

Original Comic Art13695

Collector Slesko private msg quote post Address this user
Where do you all usually buy original comic book art online from? And show off what you have!
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
There are several sources. Auction sites like ebay or Heritage. Directly from the artists. Many artists often have representatives that sell their art on their behalf like SplashPage, Albert Moy, or Comic Art House

Comic Art Tracker is a great site that aggregates various other art sites allowing you a wider net when searching
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
I've never bought any online from a dealer, but I do have some pieces I'm proud of.

Robin 1,000,000 cover by Rick Burchett - bought from him in-person at the first Planet Comicon in 1999 (we're both from the KC Metro).

Flash (1987) #7 page 5 by "Butch" Guice - bought off Ebay

Sensational Spider-Man #33 page 15 by Joe Bennett (Benedito José Nascimento) - won in a contest from now defunct 4colorreview.com. I went on to write reviews for them for several years after that and have a pull-quote on the back of the first edition Batman "Hush" hardcover from my review.

Spider-Girl 18 page 8 by Ron Frenz - actually a gift to my wife who was a huge fan of this run. Bought off ebay.

Detective Comics 586 final page by Norm Breyfogle - purchased at a comic shop in Louisville Kentucky when visting some relatives down there in the mid-90s.

OK, here's the weird story. Detective Comics 592 page 14, by Norm Breyfogle. Purchased off of eBay in, I believe, 2002 or so. And...

Detective Comics 592 page 16, by Norm Breyfogle. Purchased at a comic shop in Louisville Kentucky when visting some relatives down there in the mid-90s. So, I found page 14 (above) from this same issue on ebay by happenstance when browsing Breyfogle art 6 or so years later. Anybody have page 15?

Unpublished art that would have been the Wildcat card in the JSA DC Overpower card series, had they been released, by Chris Warner and Inked by the great Randy Emberlin. Purchased from the Emberlin at SDCC 2001.

That's all I have, not a big collection, but they're all pieces I'm fond of.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
You might want to look into Comic Link and Comic Connect too. Their fees are less than HA.com.

Wait until late November through December for places like Cadence Comic Art and Essential Sequential to start their holiday sales and you'll save.

Sign up for email alerts from artist and their dealers and you get updates about art dumps and sales too.

Mike Zeck sells his own stuff. Sign up for his email alerts and you'll find out when he puts things up on eBay. He closed his store towards the end of last year and now puts things up on eBay.

Chris Samnee sends out email alerts letting people know when he puts items up on his website and on eBay. In the past, he included a nice head sketch thanking you for the art you purchased. Really a nice "extra" to find in the package from him.

Rob Liefeld sells OA through Panel Page Art.

Rob Guillory sells Chew and Farmhand pages through his website. He's a pleasure to deal with.

David Mack has been donating a bunch of items through the seller fineartsandbookgallery on eBay. Not sure if he's still doing it. There were deals to be found on his art last year. My wife ended up with several items as gifts last year. She really likes his work.

The Artist Choice has an older website. However, if you'll write Spencer an email about art you find there and are interested in he gets back to you. He's been around for a long time.

If you like Platt, Quesada, or Joe Madureira then go to Kwan Chang's website. He reps them and others.

Ed McGuinness has his own store.

Greg Capullo sells items through Capullo Art. His wife runs it. She is wonderful to deal with on a purchase. She ships ULTRA fast.

Comic Art Fans has the largest number of OA up on the internet. You can sign up and message people about their collections. Lots of it changes hands through private sales there.

Anthony's Comic Book Art is good to deal with. He has a ton of art.

There are a ton of other places to pick things up. Many artist are on social media and will advise when they have things for sale.

Good Luck!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I buy from Anthony's Comic Book Art and CAF. Sometimes I buy from eBay if everything feels right.
And whenever possible, from the artist, either online or at shows.

There is a current thread showing art collections. Somewhere.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
To double down on what @Towmater said, Rob Guillory is a pleasure to deal with. He also does color commissions at reasonable rates.

Also try Felix Comic Art. A few artists are represented by them. Daniel Warren Johnson being one of then.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
@Siggy Anthony's warehouse of OA is insane. When I was dropping off a blank for an Esad Ribic commission, one of the guys that worked there showed me portfolios upon portfolios of Esad Ribic's OA. I couldnt believe how much was crammed in that small building.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Directly from the artist only for me at conventions or via email commissions, or through other OA art owner regular folks.

My personal experiences in dealing with OA facilitators and/or the current crop of big time OA sellers is not something I wish to write about (something along the lines of what mom always told me)

Not even getting into the financials of dealing with a middle man.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not a big fan of Cool Lines Art (Donnelly Brothers). I don't like the idea of OA being altered.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector rick13336 private msg quote post Address this user
I find it easier to go straight to the source to get original art or prints signed by the artist. I really don't care if there is a photo of the signing or not. I know it was signed by the artist, even artwork done by my friend that lives in France. I saw the art offered to by it and we struck a deal. It took about one month to get to Florida to receive it. Now it hangs proudly with all the others, prints, artwork, art cards, comics (signed by the creator/writer) and in most cases if the artist lives in the states by that person as well. I am waiting for a piece from Utah right now!

One question for you all, I have a comic Archive Book signed by the author of the stories with pictures. So it is not the comic but a archive printed collection, would you all put that in the same category as a signed comic. You can DM me here or my email if you have it. rick13336 |/
Post 10 IP   flag post
I break down all my images of signed items as they are; Comics, Graphic Novels, TPB & HC Collections, Convention Programs etc.

With all the different ways to read this stuff, and with all the talk about Preview mags being 1st appearances, I prefer to keep comic books "comic books."
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slesko
Where do you all usually buy original comic book art online from? And show off what you have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
I buy from Anthony's Comic Book Art and CAF. Sometimes I buy from eBay if everything feels right.
And whenever possible, from the artist, either online or at shows.

I should add that occasionally art will pop up on comic forums. I bought this one here.

Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 13 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 14 IP   flag post

Post 15 IP   flag post

Post 16 IP   flag post

Post 17 IP   flag post

Post 18 IP   flag post

Post 19 IP   flag post

Post 20 IP   flag post

Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I'm not a big fan of Cool Lines Art (Donnelly Brothers). I don't like the idea of OA being altered.

Would you please tell me more about this? I was about to buy a piece from them today.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Quote:

Would you please tell me more about this? I was about to buy a piece from them today.

Maybe this?

From CGC thread "This is why no one likes the Donnellys"
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Quote:

Maybe this?

From CGC thread "This is why no one likes the Donnellys"

WOW!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Alan Davis sketch which he did for me in person at the Motor City Con a couple years back:

Photo courtesy of @BrianGreensnips
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp That was a fun day for sure. I can appreciate those kind of days much more now.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user

Adding two pieces from my collection that I had with me on my phone, both from one of my Favorites Dan Parent, a commission of Jughead and a page from Life with Kevin Keller #1
Post 27 IP   flag post
Very cool
Post 28 IP   flag post
@bennyb86 Nice! Here is a Dan Parent piece from my collection.

Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector KYDU private msg quote post Address this user

Since everyone is posting Archie, this is a splash page by Stan Goldberg (Great, great guy).
Post 30 IP   flag post
601532 43 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?